Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Luxury begets luxury. Gucci making a move signals good things for the Hudson's retail setup.
    This hunch might be completely off base and dumb in reality, but I do wonder if there's some deal that Gucci uses the existing space for the next 2 ish years and then gets to move into prime real estate in the Hudson on some sort of deal with Bedrock. It seems coincidental that one of the biggest names in luxury goods moves in right next to what should be the newest and most luxurious retail space in the city, just a year or two before it opens.

Yes, and no. Many people like a good deal/ bargain [whatever their economic status]. That's why for example the TJ Maxx at the foot of Northwestern and 14 Mile [near West Bloomfield] used to do so well in the past.

That location was known for the best reduced priced designer items. And you'd see well-heeled folks in there - shopping carts filled-up! LOL!

Then others like to brag about how much they paid for something......

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    My guess is when you're shopping at a store like Valentino you don't have a budget.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-25-22 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    This hunch might be completely off base and dumb in reality, but I do wonder if there's some deal that Gucci uses the existing space for the next 2 ish years and then gets to move into prime real estate in the Hudson on some sort of deal with Bedrock. It seems coincidental that one of the biggest names in luxury goods moves in right next to what should be the newest and most luxurious retail space in the city, just a year or two before it opens.
    I thought the same thing. In fact they may not be paying any rent until they move into Hudson's and Bedrock is using them to help attract other high end tenants.

This is an interesting development, because luxury retailers such as Gucci like to cluster around each other.

I wonder if other luxury brands [[Louis Vuitton, Tiffany's, etc.) are also coming along, and it just hasn't been annouced...

I'm still confused, though.

Are they moving from Somerset? I'm no retail market analyst, but two Gucci stores in a market like Detroit seems odd.

Most of us would think that Detroit needs to attract retail outlets with no presence in Detroit.

Doubt it, the space they got is already prime real estate and in a great building.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I thought the same thing. In fact they may not be paying any rent until they move into Hudson's and Bedrock is using them to help attract other high end tenants.
    lol I like how you present wild speculation as if it's fact.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

Are they moving from Somerset? I'm no retail market analyst, but two Gucci stores in a market like Detroit seems odd.

Most of us would think that Detroit needs to attract retail outlets with no presence in Detroit.
    I guess we'll find out.

I can't think of another market similar in size to Detroit that has 2 stores.

The closest comparisons would be Miami with 6 and then Dallas with 3.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-25-22 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

Gucci is actually expanding their Troy store at the same time as adding this new store.

"A spokesperson for the luxury retailer confirmed Monday that it is opening a new men's store and its current store that, according to its website, sells things like handbags, jewelry, shoes and beauty products is expanding into women's clothing."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...ing-mens-store

Gucci is a broad appeal luxury fashion brand. Having them here will, as hybridy and I said, make the area MUCH more appealing to smaller luxury brands like LV, Hermes, Prada, etc.

It's the same business reason you always see BK built next to McDonalds. BK knows McD's did the leg work to find a spot that will be successful, so they feel comfortable just riding in on those coat tails.

Hudson's will be a grade A downtown retail when finished and after this announcement I would be very surprised if more like it don't follow.

Here you go. You can start putting your shopping list together so you're ready when they open their doors.

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/#

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    lol I like how you present wild speculation as if it's fact.
    I'm glad you're so easily amused. The term "may" is indeed speculation, which is what we've done on this site for years. In no shape or manner is it wild or did I infer it as fact. People exchange thoughts and ideas on these sites based on past experience. It's not uncommon for landlords to give low or free rent for a period of time to attract other tenants.
    Last edited by 401don; January-25-22 at 06:23 PM.

This hunch might be completely off base and dumb in reality, but I do wonder if there's some deal that Gucci uses the existing space for the next 2 ish years and then gets to move into prime real estate in the Hudson on some sort of deal with Bedrock.
    A retail tenant isn't going to sign a lease and have a space built out only to move 24 months later. That doesn't make sense. Gucci choosing 1274 Library makes sense. It's proximate to Z-deck-valet, it has a dedicated storefront, its an attractive historic façade, and has an interior blank slate to fit out to their specifications. It's a Bedrock property so they'll part of Gilbert's retail strategy for Hudson's.

Frankly, having luxury boutiques on Broadway between Hudson's and the Opera House is a nice look. It's near all the new boutique hotels. Curious what Gilbert wants to do with the Punch Bowl space. A fratty drinking district doesn't seem what he's after...keep that over by Grand Circus and Greektown.

This will be another fad. There will be hype. People will go check it out. Most won’t buy anything. Theft will be hilarious. They will close. The people with that kinda money aren’t coming downtown to shop a store like that. As much as we all hope downtown is real it isn’t. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    This will be another fad. There will be hype. People will go check it out. Most won’t buy anything. Theft will be hilarious. They will close. The people with that kinda money aren’t coming downtown to shop a store like that. As much as we all hope downtown is real it isn’t. Yet.
    lol okay, sure pal. What was the previous downtown fad that apparently had hilarious theft?

^ I can imagine some experienced theft.

Thankfully not to the NYC, California pampered and affirmed levels [strolling right by security backpack full of stolen goods]? We've not completely lost our minds in the D!

...Brazen thieves operating with impunity are driving small businesses to the wall in NYC wealthy enclave

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ted-goods.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-22 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    What evidence can you show to prove downtown isn't "real"?

I think most objective observers will see surprising resiliency considering the events of the last 2 years. I would have no problem giving examples if you need them.

Downtown shopping retail has overcome the biggest challenge ever, the pandemic. More than proving that it's here to stay, strong and growing. Yet they still think it's cute to belittle it. I guess only hideous strip-mall retail is real to these people.

Just say you hate Detroit, it's much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    What evidence can you show to prove downtown isn't "real"?

I think most objective observers will see surprising resiliency considering the events of the last 2 years. I would have no problem giving examples if you need them.
    Who dominant’s downtown development? Does it attract outside investment?

It is no secret that you use things to draw others in order to give the perception of progress.

Referring to strip malls or malls in general you need a anchor tenant in order to draw others,so in this case what is the perception of bringing Gucci to downtown Detroit ?

It is also not uncommon to offer incentives to retailers in order to get them into your space,such as reduced rent or maybe in this case the building owner does own a mortgage company which may come in handy.

So in the beginning the taxpayers put up 250 million to get the guy to start investing in the downtown,now after that has got off of the ground the next step is for him to lure name brands in order to create the perception of a world class city.

The real question is,at this point can the downtown core stand on its own without having to incentive development.

It’s going through that cycle,it does not make one a hater to call it what it is and what it is,is not demeaning it is a measure of the true value of a downtowns fiscal health.

If you want to provide examples,provide examples after eliminating Mr Gilbert’s investments,what you have left will be your health indicator.

Then compare that to,let’s skip the 2 year corona thing,3 years ago -4 years ago ,5 years ago and that will give you your true growth indicator.

Yes Mr Gilbert’s investments are moving the city forward,yes he is creating a false perception in order to enhance his investments,nothing wrong with any of that,but it is a house of cards depending on one man,so you really want to know What exactly is going on,so you know where else to improve that is not dependent on that house of cards,so if something happens you are not kicked back to square one.

Do people buy Gucci sunglasses and pay that price because they are the most superior sunglasses in the world?

No,they do that so when they walk down the street,the sunglasses provide a perception of,look at me I made it in life,to provide an image of success and others will be drawn to that hoping that success rubs off on them.
    Last edited by Richard; January-27-22 at 03:56 PM.

Is Ms. Soccer Mom from Birmingham or Grosse Pt. or Ann Arbor going to make a trip downtown to shop at the Gucci Store? Maybe for a special occasion, or maybe never, but not on a semi regular basis like they would for a shopping trip to Somerset Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Is Ms. Soccer Mom from Birmingham or Grosse Pt. or Ann Arbor going to make a trip downtown to shop at the Gucci Store? Maybe for a special occasion, or maybe never, but not on a semi regular basis like they would for a shopping trip to Somerset Mall.
    Soccer mom from Grosse Pointe has nothing to do with it. There is about to be two 5 star hotels right across from here, tons of highly payed workers over at Campus Martius as well. More than enough to sustain a single Gucci.

Also why on earth would anybody in GP shop at Somerset over a same option downtown? That is WAY further away from them. Pretty sure all of those suburban residents are coming downtown regularly for game days anyway.

It's reported that the Sugar Factory, Las Vegas based restaurant, is opening in Campus Martius at 45 Monroe Street

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It's reported that the Sugar Factory, Las Vegas based restaurant, is opening in Campus Martius at 45 Monroe Street
    Yes it has...
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...wntown-Detroit

Every time I've gone to the "expensive side" of Somerset in the recent past, I have seen a line for the Gucci store - often crazy long. And the people in the line were not soccer moms, rather a younger, more urban crowd. This store is going to do just fine.

Let downtown get the expensive stores such as Gucci, Restoration Hardware, Apple, etc.Let midtown have the middle end stores such as Carhartt, Target, Dick's, Sketchers,

Cartier would be Target for flash mobs and snatch and grabbers. Columbia, Nautica, or Addidas would be a better fit in that spot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast