Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There were stores in there? All I ever saw was concrete. And plants. It was hard to even find the elevators.
    There were lots of mid-priced stores as well. My wife would go shop in stores like Winkelman's while I got a beer in Nemo's. Hardest part was trying to find each other later - before cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yet oh so necessary when one is on a budget...........
    Thats the difference in Europe,when you do see the price on the shelf, it is the total amount you will pay taxes included,no surprises at checkout.

Not sure about a Gucci store,one would think something like a collection of factory outlet stores would be more fitting with more diversity while creating a destination in the process.

What percentile of the local population is going to be walking into a Gucci store in Detroit,or any other city for that matter.

What percentile of the local population is going to be walking into a Gucci store in Detroit,or any other city for that matter.

You'd be surprised. Everybody that lives in Detroit isn't poor because they chose to live there.

^^^ That's exactly right. We have our struggling areas, and poor but we also yet have of the largest 'concentration' of middle and upper middle class African-Americans in southeast of Michigan. Having said that, I'd prefer to purchase designer items at the outlets for less.

Disposable income is INDEED tight for nearly everyone per the hyper-inflation and broken economy we're within right now.

Disposable income is INDEED tight for nearly everyone per the hyper-inflation and broken economy we're within right now.
    Gucci isn't targeting the average Joe. They are targeting the one percenters who have lots of disposable income. In metro Detroit most of these people live in northern Oakland County, which is why Somerset's high end stores are successful. The question is, outside maybe Gross Pointe, are there enough people living and working downtown to support it? I actually don't think so.

Next will be Louis Vuitton Store in Gilbertown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

You'd be surprised. Everybody that lives in Detroit isn't poor because they chose to live there.
    I was not insinuating that.

Remember Sharper Image,outside of online they no longer exist and they had market coverage before collapse.

It takes a lot of money to open,staff and sustain nich stores,like Gucci,can they consistently pull in $30 to $40k a month?

I was looking at impact in the bigger picture with regards to population with the factory outlet style,more people with a diverse purchasing power,if they hang out they get hungry eat a local restaurant etc.

High end stores do well when there is a lot of disposable income,Gucci is at the top of that,where in the city would you feel comfortable walking down the street with a $800 purse on your shoulder,not saying that there are not places,but with any city the options are limited.

Not saying there are people that buy the products just to say they have them,but it goes back to what percentage of the local population will purchase there,it makes for good optics but revolving doors do not.

Don't need no hoochie goochie.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't need no hoochie goochie.
    I know people that make extra cash on the side when they release new products here that are not available in Europe yet,they buy it and ship it double the cost because people there want to be the first to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The question is, outside maybe Gross Pointe, are there enough people living and working downtown to support it? I actually don't think so.
    even if there's not, will be an interesting barometer for where detroit's at. i doubt it's gonna set Gucci back too much if it's not sustainable. but if it is, would be a big signal.

Yep. Perhaps not, in as much as even our most affluent areas such as Sherwood Forest, parts of Midtown, upper Livernois track, the Golf Course Community, Green Acres, Palmer Woods, Boston Edison, Indian Village etc. ETC [sorry I'm not as familiar with east side affluent areas by name] they tend to the suburbs when spending at the higher end of the spectrum.

Downtown resident shoppers alone has indeed proven not to be sufficient.

Gucci isn't targeting the average Joe. They are targeting the one percenters who have lots of disposable income. In metro Detroit most of these people live in northern Oakland County, which is why Somerset's high end stores are successful. The question is, outside maybe Gross Pointe, are there enough people living and working downtown to support it? I actually don't think so.

No. Apparently not enough downtown shoppers to support as we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    even if there's not, will be an interesting barometer for where detroit's at. i doubt it's gonna set Gucci back too much if it's not sustainable. but if it is, would be a big signal.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-22 at 02:20 PM.

Downtown resident shoppers alone has indeed proven not to be sufficient.
    What makes you think this? Just Under Armour? The whole brand is struggling and they are closing stores in New York and Philly as well, I'm sure more that I haven't read about. I think one of the very few stores that have opened and closed in the past few years was G-Star, the expensive jean store, and that brand doesn't have nearly the recognition that Gucci does.

Plenty of stores downtown stuck it out through COVID and honestly, I feel like we all expected more of them to close. I mean I agree with the sentiment that stores need more than just the people living downtown, but that's true with nearly every store, including those at malls or in bigger shopping districts like the Mag Mile.

Overall, I think Downtown has proven to be a solid shopping district and if anything, these stores serve as a good advertising point and probably help drive online sales.

^ How's about that! I'm not really a downtown shopper and therefore cannot use my own experience as barometer fully. I certainly want to see success even if not of my own shopping trajectory.

Successful business have a positive impact for cities no doubt. We already see what is going on other parts of the country where shops and businesses have vanished for varied of reasons and trends.

No. Apparently not enough downtown shoppers to support as we've seen so far.
    I mean I wouldn't rule it out from the outset if this new store Xhibition is selling a hoodie and shorts combo for $1200. They probably make their space rent off 2 customers. Surely those two will shop at Gucci too.

Yes! There is also a well-heeled young entertainment and turn-up crowd [smile] vested in purchasing the 'geezy' very expensive grunge hip-hop wear [ala Kanye West style etc]. Or the grunge hipster/ angst-look stuffs - equally as expensive. Not my scene but I am very well aware of it.

One of my income areas involves merch marketing/ digital and silk-screened. Add images, logos and words and you can really charge!

I mean I wouldn't rule it out from the outset if this new store Xhibition is selling a hoodie and shorts combo for $1200. They probably make their space rent off 2 customers. Surely those two will shop at Gucci too.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-22 at 06:54 PM.

Where are their locations, South Beach? SoHo? No - Cleveland and Detroit. Strange times.

The hottest real estate in the metro area seems to actually be in SOUTHEASTERN Oakland County - Ferndale, Royal Oak, Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods, Clawson, Berkley, Hazel Park, Birmingham, even Oak Park. The Woodward Corridor suburbs are in-demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thats the difference in Europe,when you do see the price on the shelf, it is the total amount you will pay taxes included,no surprises at checkout.

Not sure about a Gucci store,one would think something like a collection of factory outlet stores would be more fitting with more diversity while creating a destination in the process.

This is a good suggestion that is worth exploring. Can downtown Detroit create a factory outlet strip or district? It would draw a diverse range of shoppers, middle- and upper-class, as opposed to a Gucci, which would draw mostly upper-class.

I'm honestly very surprised by the comments here. There seems to be little grasp on different kinds of Retail. Gucci, no matter the location, never plans for the locations to depend on people who live within a few miles patronizing them.

All this talk about "are there enough Gucci shoppers in greater downtown" is irrelevant to Gucci. Gucci's loyal clients will drive from Oakland County, Novi, Ann Arbor, and further to shop here.

Attracting Gucci is a big deal and other luxury brands will take note when considering where to open new stores.

Also, are there really people talking about an outlet mall downtown? What year is this, 1990? I thought we were past the idea that downtown should try to beat the suburbs at their own game.

Yet oh so necessary when one is on a budget...........
    My guess is when you're shopping at a store like Valentino you don't have a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I'm honestly very surprised by the comments here. There seems to be little grasp on different kinds of Retail. Gucci, no matter the location, never plans for the locations to depend on people who live within a few miles patronizing them.

All this talk about "are there enough Gucci shoppers in greater downtown" is irrelevant to Gucci. Gucci's loyal clients will drive from Oakland County, Novi, Ann Arbor, and further to shop here.

Attracting Gucci is a big deal and other luxury brands will take note when considering where to open new stores.

Also, are there really people talking about an outlet mall downtown? What year is this, 1990? I thought we were past the idea that downtown should try to beat the suburbs at their own game.
    I do not think it is competing with the suburbs with a factory outlet mall of sorts,or creating a shopping district within the city.

When I do a search it shows the closest one at Great Lakes Crossing at 20 miles away,with one located downtown you have a base of 400,000 potential shoppers within a 5 mile radius.

Then you have the airport with international tourists that look to spend money during their layover,so they need to get somewhere close and fast.

Its about impact and service of most diverse amount of residents,why worry about the burbs when you have residents that have to drive 20 miles for a shopping experience when you have 145 acres + - of a city sitting there,you can still have a high end district but with a collection you are less likely to be left with no options when you have a revolving door on a singular scale.

As far as I can tell somebody in the burbs would rather sit at home and order Gucci online verses driving into a city that they do not seem to particularly care for,let alone deal with parking and other fears,imagined or not.

Its not a matter of city verses suburbia in competition,that’s a cop out and excuse,each place needs to create their own identity and and do what it takes to make their little world a better place for its citizens.

It’s not CODs job to care about if Birmingham exists,just as it is not Birmingham’s job to care if COD exists,granted there needs to be a level of cohesion in the bigger picture,but at the end of the day COD has to do what is right for the benefit of COD residents,it’s their job as a city.

This is just like the car museum thread,it’s not a case of either or,raise your standards,expect more.

Around me there are no Gucci stores located in low to middle income areas,they are located where the center of wealth is located by the numbers,they are not picking locations based on people will travel because their Gucci,those type of establishments cater to their clientele,not by saying we are Gucci crawl to us.

At the end of the day they are still a business and not going to throw money at a location just to exist.

But like others have said,it will be a good indication if they can survive.

But even at that you are still competing with the one in the Somerset Collection Mall or competing with the burbs,how come people in COD just did not drive to that one?

They know exactly what percentage of purchases came from what zip code,they can already tell you before even opening the store what the projected client sales base will be and how it will impact the existing one.

That is why the question of can the city sustain a Gucci downtown is a valid one,because the burbs already have one that is contained into a shopping experience with options,now it will be in a stand-alone location where it is the only destination,which is even harder.

Even at that,what’s the point of the fluff when it appears that there is a massive void when it comes to the average citizen walking into a place and being able to buy a decent dinnerware set or bath towels.

Which is what 85% of the population is actually looking for.

The situation got kinda reversed from the old days of hitching up the horse and buggy for the ride into town for sundries and vittles,you are the town that people are supposed to be coming to.
    Last edited by Richard; January-25-22 at 01:06 AM.

Gucci is a humungous deal, and I am excited to see it open. This could mean great retail options are coming with the new Hudson's building.

I do think that focusing on downtown residents as the only target audience is not correct. This store, and hopefully the downtown shopping district overall, will attract people from the Grosse Pointes, Dearborn, Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest, Ferndale/Royal Oak, Ann Arbor/Yspi, Windsor/Essex, Downriver etc.

Concerning a outlet district downtown, personally, I am always looking for ways to bring more people and more residents downtown. How we can make downtown THE PLACE to go shopping - for a diverse range of people? An 'outlets' district would certainly be unique for a city center, and it obviously wouldn't be built like Great Lakes Crossing. Great Lakes Crossing is further from downtown than Ypsilanti, so there is a huge potential customer base within 30 mile radius. It's not going to happen, I agree.

[We already have a store downtown that is an outlet of sorts. The Nike Community Store on Woodward is not the caliber of NikeTown Stores that have opened up in more vibrant city centers. The store downtown is full of older, discontinued and discounted shoes, while the stores in the most important cities have the newly released models and clothing.]

Have to agree here. Philly redid their downtown mall into outlet format, but they have 40M annual tourists to support it. These places simply work better on the periphery and not at the expense of urbanity. The parking demand alone is a deal breaker - no one wants any more ilitch moonscape lots all over.

Factory and outlet stores are no longer selling damaged goods at deep discounts. These stores now sell lower quality, specifically made products and sometimes they can cost more than at the traditional store. These locations are looking to capitalize on impulse buying and overspending, no different than any other store. Couple that with 'inconvenient' parking perception and stigma on location - it doesn't thrive in an urban format.

Luxury begets luxury. Gucci making a move signals good things for the Hudson's retail setup.

Developers have been pitching outlet malls in the western Wayne co burbs Canton+airport and Macomb Co M59+94 for several years now...let them build it out there.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-25-22 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    How about a Cartier store, since Detroiters love that brand so much! No Cartier store in the metro area, not even Somerset.
    How about an Adidas store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast