Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I want to support the Wright, but that does seem high.
    My biggest problem with this is the voting public in the most [[majority?) of Wayne county
    1. doesn't know what a millage is 2. doesn't own the property
    Well its hard to quantify just how much of the voters that applies to but I would guess a lot and thus doesn't feel like a fair thing to vote on.

So what? They obviously want to use the extra money to make the museums better, not just survive.

It'll be a yes vote from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You have been misinformed. The DIA isn't even in the top 10 of American art museum endowments. as of 2019 it was at $232 million... the Cleveland museum blows us out of the water at over $750 million. And the New York Metropolitan leads the list at over 10 times what the DIA has.
    That's interesting since the Cleveland Museum and the DIA are at basically the same status.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    That's interesting since the Cleveland Museum and the DIA are at basically the same status.
    I was under the impression that we were better than they were... but then I've never been to Cleveland's Art Institute. But I do know they have a larger endowment.

A forty dollar a year membership sounds reasonable. I voluntarily pay that exact amount as an annual membership to support an ethnic genealogical research and library service that receives no government support.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think your post illustrates the trouble these institutions face no matter how much they are asking for...

...I imagine that unlike the DIA, many people in the region [[like many here), have never been to either museum so naturally any ask is going to be too much.
    Maybe they could each lessen this, and gain some awareness & votes, if they did a widely publicized 30 day open house, no admission, to let all of us "never been" folks stop in and see what they're all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Maybe they could each lessen this, and gain some awareness & votes, if they did a widely publicized 30 day open house, no admission, to let all of us "never been" folks stop in and see what they're all about.

Actually, that's one of the better ideas I've heard on this forum.

I was under the impression that we were better than they were... but then I've never been to Cleveland's Art Institute. But I do know they have a larger endowment.
    Cleveland has a world-class collection of Asian art. Detroit has more and better Western art IMHO.

P.S. Toledo has a large endowment from Edward Drummond Libbey and Florence Scott Libbey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I wish intellectual curiosity was more of a draw than free admission but that is a good idea and probably the route they should take. Throw in some talks and activities and really show how big of an asset these places are.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think your post illustrates the trouble these institutions face no matter how much they are asking for... people see no benefit to an expansion of educational institutions or programing. How will the community benefit? I think that question is pretty easy to answer but only if you value these institutions to begin with. I imagine that unlike the DIA, many people in the region [[like many here), have never been to either museum so naturally any ask is going to be too much.

It is merely speculation on my part but I believe the goal is to improve the experience of each institution while expanding facilities and I believe this is in concert with the Cultural Center Planning Initiative

https://www.midtownculturalconnections.com/
    This is exactly my point. At this point any explanation as to what they would use this money for is just speculation, and if that remains the case, then I'm sure metro Detroiters will give this a big "hell no" at the ballot box. Rightfully so IMHO.

This is the same argument Washington uses to funnel federal money to the pentagon. "I value what the DOD does so whatever money they need we hand it right over". Just because an institution is valuable to the public doesn't make it worthy of unlimited funding.

Without an actionable plan those in charge can be held accountable to for what this money will do it's essentially a slush fund. How long before the news reports the institutions admin are all driving new Cadillacs?

Bottom line, if these institutions want to double, quadruple, quintuple, and so on their revenue on the back of the taxpayer they better be able to show cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Cleveland has a world-class collection of Asian art. Detroit has more and better Western art IMHO.

P.S. Toledo has a large endowment from Edward Drummond Libbey and Florence Scott Libbey.
    Thanks for the response... yes I heard that Toledo had some special collections as well.

From what I remember... the DIA has the 3rd largest/best collection of Italian Renaissance art in the country, after NYC Met and DC National Gallery.

My wife and I went to see Ron Paul speak in Mason City, Iowa in 2008. Unfortunately, I had written the wrong date on my calendar so we had an unplanned mini vacation in Mason City made famous for Music Man. It was one of those wrong turns that brought us into a delightful Midwestern twilight zone. It seemed like much of the town was out socializing at big park with multiple softball games having BBQ picnics. It was Midwest with a capital M. The next morning we went to the free MacNider Art Museum where we discovered an unexpected collection of Grant Wood and some Thomas Hart Benton works. The quality and pleasantness of the museum was unexpected [[and free). I have no idea how it was financed and maintained. I recommend it as a stop for anyone driving through there. Perhaps, the Charles Wright Museum could borrow a few ideas from Mason City to better serve its own patrons and community.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So now it's somehow a race issue to question why a museum [[One that isn't financially struggling) wants to more than quadruple their annual revenue on the backs of the taxpayers, some nearly 60 miles away? Please... Perhaps I should have focused more on the 17+ million per year that the Detroit Historical Museum is asking for. Then could I question this ridiculous money grab without bringing up what my ancestors may or may not have done 150 years ago?

It's not just $40, it's .4 mil per year on the taxable valuable of each home for the next two decades! In my community that's going to run around $80 on average with many paying much, much more. And since it's a millage that's not a fixed amount. Assuming property values increase at 5% annually [[They went up nearly 20% last year) we're looking at an average of $175 per year by the end of the term [[That's if they don't ask to extend it like the DIA did). That's over $2500 for one museum that no one in my family has ever been to, and another that I've been to twice in the last 40 years.

Again, I would fully support a millage of a reasonable amount for the Wright and the Detroit Historical Museum. Just as I would have supported a reasonable millage for the DIA and even the RTA. The issue is the amounts being asked for in this instance aren't even close to reasonable, and the past history of the DIA shows that the promises of these institutions can not be trusted. Once they get their hands in the cookie jar they never take them out!

1. You sure get excited when your racial animus is questioned. Why do you think you get so upset when such a character trait is revealed? Are you ashamed of your basic nature and feel an urge to become defensive and accusatory?

What about your background makes you feel justified in creating elaborate defenses for a trait you can’t acknowledge or accept?

2. Your lack of curiosity regarding our museums is a wonder to me. If learning about and enjoying artistic and cultural institutions isn’t interesting to you or your family, I wonder what activities you do find worthwhile.

it is my understanding that the Silverdome was demolished so monster trucks are out, what other things you people do for intellectual stimulation? Snake handling? That’s big fun I hear.

The irony of accusing somebody of profiling while profiling them.

But that is right on cue and as simple as that,if you do not support the museum you are racist,I am guessing that I would not be allowed to patronize that institution because I am a Caucasian but if I do not support it I would be a racist.

Just give me millions and shut up,none of your business how we are going to spend it,seems like a lack of accountability is what drove Detroit to its knees and yet it still has plenty of support.

In the op article it clearly reads that the museum was self sufficient and self supported before the rona virus hit,so people were clearly supporting it,they are asking for funds to cover the losses from corona virus related losses and future whatever costs may occur.

Anytime the taxpayers are asked to increase taxes they have a right to question where and how that money is being spent.

I want to establish an all white collage in Detroit,I need 50 million in tax dollars to do it,if you do not support me you are racist,see how silly that sounds.

Snake handling is a honest living,why do you have issues with snake handlers?

There are African American snake handlers,what are they,red neck uncle toms?

Monster Truck Jams is owned by Ringling brothers circus,they morphed into that after all the false accusations got them out of the circus business,but that seems to be the norm these days,place false accusations against others in order to divert or justify ones stance.

When was the last time they asked you for tax dollars in order to draw a crowd?

What do “you people” do for intellectual stimulation after the museum,listen to rap?

See how silly it sounds when you categorize people.
    Last edited by Richard; January-19-22 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    1. You sure get excited when your racial animus is questioned. Why do you think you get so upset when such a character trait is revealed? Are you ashamed of your basic nature and feel an urge to become defensive and accusatory?

What about your background makes you feel justified in creating elaborate defenses for a trait you can’t acknowledge or accept?

2. Your lack of curiosity regarding our museums is a wonder to me. If learning about and enjoying artistic and cultural institutions isn’t interesting to you or your family, I wonder what activities you do find worthwhile.

it is my understanding that the Silverdome was demolished so monster trucks are out, what other things you people do for intellectual stimulation? Snake handling? That’s big fun I hear.
    I'm dying laughing reading this This is 100% the crying soyjack meme

Thanks for the response... yes I heard that Toledo had some special collections as well.
    Practically the entire Libby fortune went to the Toledo Museum, including an endowment for the school of glass-making. The land where the Museum sits was donated by the family of Florence Scott Libbey. And when she passed away, the combined wealth of Edward Drummond Libbey and Florence Scott Libbey went to the Museum. Their progeny got very little. They tried to sue the Libbey Estate and the Museum but lost. Attorneys from Detroit represented the Estate and Museum. I knew one of those attorneys -- he was a real mensch.

Imagine if Henry Ford had left his money to the DIA.

IIRC, Toledo has a substantial collection of Impressionist paintings. It's certainly worth a trip if you like the fine arts.

Speaking of the museum:

The Charles H. Wright upcoming exhibition...

KING TUTANKHAMUN: “Wonderful Things” from the Pharaoh’s Tomb

Setting aside the politics and financing this sounds like a grand exhibit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-20-22 at 01:06 AM.

I was surprised to see that this was coming to the Wright Museum, and not the DIA... until this little tidbit....

"The Public Pharaoh, and The Royal Burial - this installation features more than 120 replicas of Pharaoh Tut’s sacred and personal possessions."

Hmmmm... "replicas"...

Speaking of Egypt... for anyone who missed the Thanksgiving Day grand re-opening of the 2.7 km Avenue of Sphinxes in Luxor Egypt... they re-enacted the ancient Opet Festival parade [first time in 2300 years] of Egyptian Gods that were annually taken from their home at the massive Karnak Temple along the 1070 Sphinx lined avenue to Luxor Temple, where they held their annual festival... this is amazing... [Egypt wants their tourists back, and put on a lavish show with thousands of performer]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlyrQVPuKVs&t=500s
    Last edited by Gistok; January-20-22 at 02:06 AM.

^ Nice. I have a friend that adores the period. He'd love this!

It's a little known fact that the Egyptians were the first to incorporate the use of LEDs, lasers, and orchestral choreography in their rituals. I'm surprised Elizabeth Taylor didn't step out of the carriage.

I was surprised to see that this was coming to the Wright Museum, and not the DIA... until this little tidbit....

"The Public Pharaoh, and The Royal Burial - this installation features more than 120 replicas of Pharaoh Tut’s sacred and personal possessions."

Hmmmm... "replicas"...
    Next you'll tell me the Titanic exhibit isn't the actual hull of the Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It's a little known fact that the Egyptians were the first to incorporate the use of LEDs, lasers, and orchestral choreography in their rituals. I'm surprised Elizabeth Taylor didn't step out of the carriage.
    Considering most Americans hear the word Luxor and first think of the glass pyramid in Vegas, they're just trying to keep up!

Speaking of Egypt... for anyone who missed the Thanksgiving Day grand re-opening of the 2.7 km Avenue of Sphinxes in Luxor Egypt... they re-enacted the ancient Opet Festival parade [first time in 2300 years] of Egyptian Gods that were annually taken from their home at the massive Karnak Temple along the 1070 Sphinx lined avenue to Luxor Temple, where they held their annual festival... this is amazing... [Egypt wants their tourists back, and put on a lavish show with thousands of performer]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlyrQVPuKVs&t=500s
    Since there must have been some religious aspects to the parade, it is worth noting that Islam in Egypt must be more tolerant than Islam in Mali or Afghanistan where religious images were desecrated. Maybe its for the tourist dollars but the monuments and this ceremony were a gift to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They would have had her there... but the Stargate resurrection machine was at the repair shop, and Steve Martin's SNL "Tut's condo made of stona" was still being restored...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast