Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Two businesses goes under after the new council were put in place. Who is next

With the rapid transition to online retail, rising labor costs and staffing shortages, the declining popularity of Under Amour in general and the reduced foot traffic downtown, I'm not really surprised by this. Unfortunately, this is probably a trend that's only going to pick up as storefronts and leases that no longer make financial sense expire.

I'm not a huge fan of their shirts or shoes, but Under Armour's Guide Series convertible pants [[And sometimes Crocs) are a staple of "could not care less" sense of style. I rotate through about 6 or 7 pairs of them all Summer long, and then again when I make it to Florida for the Winter. They dry fast, don't stain and wear like iron. I highly recommend them!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-15-22 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Is there anything that is NOT a city government conspiracy to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    With the rapid transition to online retail, rising labor costs and staffing shortages, the declining popularity of Under Amour in general and the reduced foot traffic downtown, I'm not really surprised by this. Unfortunately, this is probably a trend that's only going to pick up as storefronts and leases that no longer make financial sense expire.

I'm not a huge fan of their shirts or shoes, but Under Armour's Guide Series convertible pants [[And sometimes Crocs) are a staple of "could not care less" sense of style. I rotate through about 6 or 7 pairs of them all Summer long, and then again when I make it to Florida for the Winter. They dry fast, don't stain and wear like iron. I highly recommend them!
    High cotton content is the key for Fla,multiple layers now when it is freezing in the 50s.

Stores like this closing is indicative of why the whole save the planet thing is a Croc.

As a retailer brick and mortar,when they order 50 shirts it comes in a re-usable tote,when 50 people order online it becomes 50 separate packages,wrapped,boxed,shipped,trucked and delivered and then all of that packaging ends up in the land fills,ditches and waterways.

So it is not really convenient to save the planet,it’s just a nice revenue generator for a few with a shifting economy,we can see all the little small towns that dried up and retail became non existent,now apply that to big cities as people become social cacoons,that local retail market is a big economic driver and people are choosing to create billionaires for a few at the cost of a city.

In the UK commercial property is cheaper then residential which kinda helps some to hang in there better.

Cities are feeling it now as retail and offices vacate,people move out into the rural parts where if nobody was there before they would have never heard the tree fall in the woods,or get slammed by a tornado or fire.

People look at the here and now but 20 years down the road,what will be the point of a downtown,no reason to go there with no shopping or office work.

But wait,the country already got a taste of what that looks like when you could not give away a sky scraper in downtown Detroit,imagine that across the whole country.

[QUOTE=Richard;620587]
    As a retailer brick and mortar,when they order 50 shirts it comes in a re-usable tote,when 50 people order online it becomes 50 separate packages,wrapped,boxed,shipped,trucked and delivered and then all of that packaging ends up in the land fills,ditches and waterways.

As I mentioned on another thread, don't forget the 30% of returns to companies like Amazon that also ends up in landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    ... don't forget the 30% of returns to companies like Amazon that also ends up in landfills.
    The U.S. may have the best stocked landfills in the world. Maybe that's what we do best?

On the face of it online retail may seem wasteful, especially the packaging. But even as a huge critic of Jeff Bezos and Amazon, I still don't see the shift to online retail as environmentally unfriendly, and it may even be less so than traditional brick & mortar!

When was the last time you drove your gas guzzling car from store to store looking for that toaster you wanted or that perfect gift? One Amazon, USPS or UPS truck can now perform the same purpose when before it would have been dozens of consumers making individual trips in their cars, sometimes unsuccessfully.

And while a high return rate may sound wasteful [[And it is), it's not like items aren't/weren't being returned to traditional retailers. I'd also speculate that these return rates might actually better [[Or at least neutral) for the environment as those unwanted or unneeded goods before may have sat unused and forgotten in a basement or closet, and eventually made it to the landfill anyways. At least now those returned goods are often resold and put back into the marketplace.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-16-22 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As I mentioned on another thread, don't forget the 30% of returns to companies like Amazon that also ends up in landfills.
    Heard you can get some nice designer handbags in the Atacoma desert in Chile.... some stitching required...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Heard you can get some nice designer handbags in the Atacoma desert in Chile.... some stitching required...
    A report on tv last yr. showed huge piles of designer clothing, as well as ordinary stuff supposedly sent for charity, being burned in Africa.

The pandemic certainly didn't help, but Under Armour just hasn't been a "cool" brand in a while. Their signature athletes are Tom Brady, Steph Curry and Jordan Speith; I don't think people are waiting in lines to pick up the latest Steph signature shoe or Tom Brady pajamas [[that's a real product they sold). Meanwhile, the Nike store down the street has popular products, good sales and apparel from most of the major pro and college teams.

Hardly in this city. Too many elected officials are still bought off for cheap to allow or not allow

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    On the face of it online retail may seem wasteful, especially the packaging. But even as a huge critic of Jeff Bezos and Amazon, I still don't see the shift to online retail as environmentally unfriendly, and it may even be less so than traditional brick & mortar!

When was the last time you drove your gas guzzling car from store to store looking for that toaster you wanted or that perfect gift? One Amazon, USPS or UPS truck can now perform the same purpose when before it would have been dozens of consumers making individual trips in their cars, sometimes unsuccessfully.

And while a high return rate may sound wasteful [[And it is), it's not like items aren't/weren't being returned to traditional retailers. I'd also speculate that these return rates might actually better [[Or at least neutral) for the environment as those unwanted or unneeded goods before may have sat unused and forgotten in a basement or closet, and eventually made it to the landfill anyways. At least now those returned goods are often resold and put back into the marketplace.
    I order parts online because nobody stocks anymore,I fill up my large recycling bin,that does not actually get recycled,every week with cardboard boxes,bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

My gas guzzler gets me to anything else I would want or need within 1/2 mile from the house,without mowing over the stop signs in the neighborhood like the Amazon prime truck did in my neighborhood.

Before it became popular here, I used to buy 53’ semi trailers full of returns for export to South America,before that the big box stores just threw everything in the dumpster because it was cheaper then returning the stuff to the manufacturer.

Personally I never return anything bought online,my time is worth more then it takes to repackage and drive to the fed ex or UPS depot to drop off,even worse before I dropped Amazon because of their bait and switch scams going on that was costing me over $800 a month in wasted products.

It is simple with local retail,you go there see what you like,touch it,check it for defects and pay the cash and walk away,it does not get any easier then that,people do not look at the bigger picture and see all of the damage that is being done in this country with all of this online crap ordering.

Not that anybody actually cares but if one lives in Detroit,for example,why would you want to give your money to Bezos instead of a local establishment where it stays within the local economy?

What does it tell you when a few major companies had record sales during the pandemic while local stores closed up,many for good.

You guys have already seen what your downtown looks like when there are no retail or office workers down there,is it really worth it in order to save a few minutes and order online?

Sure you save $5,but what has it really cost you long term when you are surrounded by a non functional downtown and having to spend $40 more dollars for every $1 saved in increased taxes,because somebody has to make up for that local revenue loss.

Long term you are not really saving anything,only enjoying a moment of pleasure that will come back and bite you.

I was listening to the Daily Detroit podcast last Thursday. They were talking about the downtown Under Armor store closing. Jer said to look in the coming weeks for a Somerset South type of announcement for Downtown Detroit retail. Has anyone heard anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What does it tell you when a few major companies had record sales during the pandemic while local stores closed up,many for good.

You guys have already seen what your downtown looks like when there are no retail or office workers down there,is it really worth it in order to save a few minutes and order online?

Sure you save $5,but what has it really cost you long term when you are surrounded by a non functional downtown and having to spend $40 more dollars for every $1 saved in increased taxes,because somebody has to make up for that local revenue loss.

Richard you often ramble on, and on, and on, but you always make a lot of good points.

I think it is the convenience of on-line shopping, not the cost savings, that entice people. Downtowns are really going to have to step up their game in the entertainment department to survive since people are not going to come downtown anymore for work or shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Richard you often ramble on, and on, and on, but you always make a lot of good points.

I think it is the convenience of on-line shopping, not the cost savings, that entice people. Downtowns are really going to have to step up their game in the entertainment department to survive since people are not going to come downtown anymore for work or shopping.
    I can imagine they were having this same discussion back in the 50s as downtowns were emptying out.

So do we now apply the same tactics,demolish everything in the hopes that the future brings a new game?

On and on and on is really more of a rant,I have been around long enough to know that as a rule people really do not care about the bigger picture,they are more interested in the here and now.

But the downtown did step up its game with options and stores like this and it did not work,maybe it’s time for people to step up their game.

During the pandemic the top 10 richest people in this country doubled their net worth just as the politicians did with their stock portfolios within those companies,that’s the problem,if we do not step up our game,others will decide for us,including where and when we travel to do basic life purchases..
    Last edited by Richard; January-18-22 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    ... it is the convenience of on-line shopping, not the cost savings, that entice people.
    That, and what takes the cake is the avoidance of hoi oligoi and hoi polloi.

When the Internet first came out I had a automotive salvage yard that I purchased that was full of 50s 60s 70s rust free parts,I posted them on the Internet and even though they were hard to find rust free back then,the number one objective of people looking on the Internet was because they were looking for cheap.

Fast forward to now,I had a customer that needed a part in order to continue production,I told him,locally today it was $200,if I ordered it,$160 and 3 days.

He told me to get the part today,so as I was returning back to his business he called me and said I was ripping him off at that price because he went in the Internet and found it for $60.

So I told him to have a nice day and order it.

He never even looked at the difference in quality or even did any other research outside of it was cheap,I have had others where I located the part,sent them the link to order,and then they order something completely different because it looked like the same part but cheaper.

It has nothing to do with connivence,because the first thing that comes out of everybody’s mouth is,I can find it cheaper on the Internet.

In my case,sure you can,just as you can find out how to install it yourself on the Internet also.

Default Might of found anwser

Quote Originally Posted by TheDapperMaleDetroit View Post
    I was listening to the Daily Detroit podcast last Thursday. They were talking about the downtown Under Armor store closing. Jer said to look in the coming weeks for a Somerset South type of announcement for Downtown Detroit retail. Has anyone heard anything?
    I was doing some research, googling retail jobs in Detroit to find any example, I saw a Multiple ads for GUCCI jobs in Detroit, I thought it meant the Somerset or twelve oaks location, but when I look at the GUCCI site, I saw ads that said Troy, Novi and Detroit see below

Name:  gfg.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 9.37.06 PM.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  46.6 KB

Local media is gonna go wild on this if true.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Just two?

Covid?

Default Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Local media is gonna go wild on this if true.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...detroit-summer

Oh my! I can't wait to get me a GUCCI purse!

I wonder why Gucci didn't want to open on Woodward

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast