My name is Alex, I'm a doctoral student at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. I am working on a research projects about "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit" along with some faculty members and graduate students. Last Friday I went to Detroit to see some buildings and areas in the city and saw and took some pictures of the Michigan Central Railroad Station - what a magnificent and sad place that is! Strangely, it reminded me of some places in my native country, Romania. Romania was a communist country and part of the Eastern Bloc until 20 years ago. Starting in the 1950s and 1960s the Romanian Communist Party decided to industrialize the country at a very fast pace, and therefore innumerable industrial plants and parks of pharaonic proportions were built. As they did not really make sense economically most of these places are deserted and in ruins now - much like many areas in Detroit nowadays.

I am going to visit Detroit again soon, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what other interesting areas and buildings we can visit and explore.

Thanks.