Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That factor does seem to emerge... violence is up applied with varied means.

I recently witnessed a stabbing near WSU campus [broad daylight on Woodward]. I pulled over and called 911. Police arrived quickly along with an ambulance to aid the man bleeding profusely from his hand/ lower arm. Who knows what was on the mind of the [in this case] 'knife' wielding man!
    And if he had a gun instead of a knife we would be discussing a fatality instead of wounds to the hand and lower arm, thus you’ve made the argument that most of us who want sensible gun control have been making.

This morning I couldn't believe my ears so I had to do an audio double-take and go to https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio and replay from 7:35:30 to hear this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Carlson
    It was a violent holiday weekend across the country. There were at least 13 mass shootings resulting in eight deaths.
    13 mass shootings in one weekend?! At least?!
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-31-22 at 07:30 AM.

You can bleed-out in minutes from a knife wound depending on location and blood artery involved. One of my cousins [only 14] was murdered with by an assailant with a knife in his front yard. He died quickly. The man I witnessed stabbed at WSU had blood pouring from his arm rather fast. It was serious and I do not know the outcome.

For the record I am for sensible gun control. What I am not for is the assertions that everyone legally owning firearms is in league with a 'lobby' or it looking the other way with excuses when innocents are killed by guns. This is especially so in Detroit where crime is very real and can come about in various ways -- and the police may not be nearby.

Top all that you have those proposing to get rid of the police [a narrative not played in the D often -- we know better!].

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    And if he had a gun instead of a knife we would be discussing a fatality instead of wounds to the hand and lower arm, thus you’ve made the argument that most of us who want sensible gun control have been making.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-22 at 04:13 PM.

Incredible the crime occurring and the facile reporting therein. That's actually a light week for Chicago in recent years, withstanding their very strict gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ...13 mass shootings in one weekend?! At least?!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-31-22 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This morning I couldn't believe my ears so I had to do an audio double-take and go to https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio and replay from 7:35:30 to hear this:13 mass shootings in one weekend?! At least?!
    I heard that too! Here's how a mass shooting is defined: A mass shooting, defined by the Gun Violence Archive, is an incident in which four or more individuals are shot and either injured or killed, excluding the gunman.

The weekend statistics include a Mecosta County shooting where the dad killed his wife and three children, then tried to kill himself.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    And you have checked the status of that victim in order to make that statement?

Mobster John Veasey was shot 3 times in the back of the head at close range and survived.

We could run the scenarios all day long but it still does not address what motivates one to pick up a gun and use it in an act of violence because you are looking at weapon of choice after the fact.

You can kill somebody by simply punching them in the throat,are you going to set about banning arms and throats?

We are not addressing what leads people to that level of violence or disparity when they are used in suicides.

New Zealand’s president met with president Biden this morning,they changed their gun laws after 50 were killed in two mosque shootings.

Was the gun really the deciding factor in those mosque shootings?

All of these world leaders meeting with Biden and discussing guns seem to have little clue as to how our system works and how little Biden or any president has control over gun regulation.

It was easy for them because they are not a constitutional republic form of government and they have extremely strict immigration laws where every immigrant from every poor and historically violent country has free excess.
    Last edited by Richard; May-31-22 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Incredible the crime occurring and the facile reporting therein. That's actually a light week for Chicago in recent years, withstanding their very strict gun laws.

Tougher gun laws don’t mean much if you can get them one county away. But really, who needs a gun store when you can get anything you want on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Tougher gun laws don’t mean much if you can get them one county away. But really, who needs a gun store when you can get anything you want on the street.
    By design we are not a country that is servient to the federal government,we have state laws and federal laws.

In contrast,the same weapons available on the street in this country are the same weapons available on the street in Canada.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government introduced legislation Monday that would put a freeze on importing, buying or selling handguns.

"It will be illegal to buy, sell, transfer or import handguns anywhere in Canada," the prime minister said.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/30/11020...-sales-imports

The irony in that is Canada’s billion dollar gun export market,so we can make and sell guns to every despot war lord in the world that is causing genocide,but our own citizens cannot own them.

I want to hear him say - Canada will no longer sell weapons to known terrorist organizations,then I will believe that he is serious and not positioning for total control.

Every country that is boasting strict gun laws,has a multi billion dollar armaments industry that provides the same “weapons of war” to anybody with a dollar outside their borders and arming the same exact terrorist organizations they are turning around spending billions to fight.
    Last edited by Richard; May-31-22 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

You can kill somebody by simply punching them in the throat,are you going to set about banning arms and throats?

And in fact more people die from being hit with hands and feet than are killed with all types of rifles combined.

The numbers were posted somewhere just last week, and the annual deaths from hands and feet were 668 or so, and the total murders by all types of rifles combined was something like 445.

But I thought these gun things were just inanimate objects, Dick.

I don’t get that the weapons Canada sells automatically go to terrorists, Dick. What does it matter to you where they end up?

It’s all about who gets to shoot isn’t it? Those things you call weapons are used to do just what they were intended to do, and yet, you confuse them for Cheerios when bought and sold to your average Dick in Anywhere, USA.

Another one of your deflections is telling. You claim the US has abandoned the mentally ill unlike in other countries. You’re giving your country short shrift because every other country has followed the same basic emptying of psychiatric wards for fifty plus years, now.

Besides that, a lot of these rampage killers are actually quite functional, and personable. All they need is a gun or a knife, or a car, but guns are so much more efficient that the determined user will cause infinitely more damage than a dumb knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    And in fact more people die from being hit with hands and feet than are killed with all types of rifles combined.

The numbers were posted somewhere just last week, and the annual deaths from hands and feet were 668 or so, and the total murders by all types of rifles combined was something like 445.
    How many of those are leftist false flags you think? Belittle any children’s deaths lately?

Is this something that you typed quickly and didn’t review before posting or was saying something this stupid thought out?

Nobody says that you can’t kill somebody with a knife or car. Why do people choose weapons like guns? Because they are the most efficient way of killing people while being insanely accessible. You understand that right? If someone goes into a Mosque they aren’t going to kill 50 people with a knife before being stopped. You are willfully ignorant. Or maybe you just say ignorant things because all you have left to compare to guns and mass shootings is throat punches and your ignorance bubble down there in Florida somehow mistakes that for logic.

Here's the part you forgot to include: from the Austin Statesman.
    The FBI’s numbers also show that of all the homicides reported, 13,663 were committed with firearms of any kind, or about 77%. Only about 4% of homicides overall were from hands, fists and feet.And 4,863 of those gun homicides were committed with firearms of a "type not stated," meaning law enforcement agencies didn't specify in their data reporting which type of gun was used. Enough rifles could be among those to push that total higher than personal weapons — even 5% would do it — though there’s no way to know for certain.

The FBI’s data is based on voluntary reporting. Not every law enforcement agency files an expanded homicide report. These statistics are based on reports from 15,875 of 18,623 law agencies, meaning the number of homicides is likely higher. The Centers for Disease Control, for instance, lists 19,384 gun homicides in the U.S. in 2020, based on U.S. death certificate information provided by the National Center for Health Statistics.

The FBI statistics show that handguns were used in most of the gun homicides, with 8,029. That’s likely because "violent crime is typically higher in urban areas than rural ones, and handguns are better suited for urban living," said Adam Lankford, a professor of criminology and criminal justice at the University of Alabama.
    Lankford and a colleague did a study in 2020 that found that semiautomatic rifles or assault weapons are increasingly being used in mass shootings.
    "It makes sense that handguns would be used more often than long guns in muggings, gang violence, robberies, or any other form of violence where the perpetrator may try to hide his firearm before and after the crime," Lankford said. "Public mass shooters are less concerned about hiding their firearms because they typically don't expect to escape."
    AR-15 or AR-15-style rifles have been used in many high-profile mass shootings, including at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in 2012, a concert in Las Vegas in 2017 and the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, in 2018. Such weapons were also used in the two most recent mass shootings in Uvalde, Texas, and Buffalo, New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here's the part you forgot to include: from the Austin Statesman.
    Aah. I hadn't read the article, I'd just seen a headline somewhere stating the two numbers.

If child deaths from rifles IS as high as 700, that's not good.

But perspective IS important too, and 250 children are killed and another 140,000 suffer head injuries from riding bicycles without helmets. Lots more suffer injuries even with helmets.

And for sure children riding bicycles is less important than the country being free from tyranny. At least I think so. I've never lived in tyranny, but it sounds really bad.

But I thought these gun things were just inanimate objects, Dick.

I don’t get that the weapons Canada sells automatically go to terrorists, Dick. What does it matter to you where they end up?

It’s all about who gets to shoot isn’t it? Those things you call weapons are used to do just what they were intended to do, and yet, you confuse them for Cheerios when bought and sold to your average Dick in Anywhere, USA.

Another one of your deflections is telling. You claim the US has abandoned the mentally ill unlike in other countries. You’re giving your country short shrift because every other country has followed the same basic emptying of psychiatric wards for fifty plus years, now.

Besides that, a lot of these rampage killers are actually quite functional, and personable. All they need is a gun or a knife, or a car, but guns are so much more efficient that the determined user will cause infinitely more damage than a dumb knife.
    Are you really taking the stance of a gun is not an innate object?

When was the last time you saw a wild pack of AR-15s running down the road or a S&W 357 hanging out at the local strip joint trading lap dances for rounds?

We have nuclear weapons,missiles,lasers,fighter jets etc that all can be used for killing but not banned,so you want to ban guns because they may be used in violence?

How about we just eliminate the people in the world first that may have violent tendencies?

I do not care who Canada sells weapons to,but it’s hypocritical to say,we do not want guns in our country killing innocent people,but it’s okay to sell them to other countries while knowing full well they will be used to kill innocent people,and to make it worse,known terrorists organizations that are killing your own service members with the weapons that you gave them.

You have to have moral ground before you can claim it.

I do not personally need to make any claims about the lack of mental healthcare in this country,everybody,but you apparently is already aware of it.

The reality is that AR-15 type rifles are a very fast growing segment of the firearms industry. Anyone who is denying that AR-15 rifles are quickly flooding the civilian market is a dishonest liar.

Unfortunately they are also extremely popular as ghost gun builds because of the plethora of parts available on the internet including 80% finished lower receivers and completely finished upper receivers. No paper work, background checks, and felons are always welcome!

Now if someone thinks that a handgun is a solid defensive plan against a semi-automatic rifle in 5.56x45 with quick detachable 30 round magazines… Well, good luck. Your going to need it.

This is from a couple weeks ago in Inkster.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...er/9854210002/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-31-22 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    The reality is that AR-15 type rifles are a very fast growing segment of the firearms industry. Anyone who is denying that AR-15 rifles are quickly flooding the civilian market is a dishonest liar.

Unfortunately they are also extremely popular as ghost gun builds because of the plethora of parts available on the internet including 80% finished lower receivers and completely finished upper receivers. No paper work, background checks, and felons are always welcome!

Now if someone thinks that a handgun is a solid defensive plan against a semi-automatic rifle in 5.56x45 with quick detachable 30 round magazines… Well, good luck. Your going to need it.

This is from a couple weeks ago in Inkster.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...er/9854210002/
    Only a dishonest liar would make the claim that AR-15 style rifles are quickly flooding the civilian market,and what exactly is a AR-15 “style” rifle?

An AR-15 is a category in its self and even worse is the false claim about ghost guns,you cannot even buy the materials to make them without being arrested.

You do not use a long gun in a urban situation and I would put up a hand gun up against a AR-15 in urban combat any day of the week.

All you are doing is repeating fake and false information and calling others names in the process on a subject that you clearly know nothing about.

Most states 30 round magazines are illegal to buy,sell or own,and they are very hard to find in order to buy in the first place.

You watch to many movies and read to much news that is targeting people that really no clue and are easily to manipulate in order to fit their agenda.

It’s not like the movies where you pull the trigger and blast 30 rounds down the barrel in one shot and AR-15 is a semi automatic no different then a pistol and you can drop a magazine and reload a pistol just as fast as an AR.

AR are not sold because they are weapons of war,they are popular because they are used in video games and people are mimicking those games,they are not really practical for the majority of owners.

If you think AR-15a are scary,how scary do you think a Molotov cocktail is as you slowly burn to death,that’s only a jar of legally purchased gas and a lot cheaper then blasting $100 worth of ammo down the barrel and much more effective.

Be careful what you wish for when you are dealing with people that bent on causing harm in others you may find yourself in a worse situation.

You guys keep rambling on about common sense gun laws but you are operating based on emotions and using those emotions in order to manipulate people for your cause,based on no common sense.

Its a funny world we live in,all across Europe everyday citizens,that most have never fired a weapon,are crowd funding in order to buy weapons to support Ukraine and put weapons in their hands,but here and other places the push is to remove weapons for peoples hands.

It always seems to boil down in the end that those who have the least amount of weapons,end up being the ones that need them the most.
    Last edited by Richard; May-31-22 at 09:14 PM.

Here's the problem with thinking than banning the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles will solve the school shooting problem. To date, the deadliest school shooting in America [[Virginia Tech) was committed with two pistols!

No rifle involved, no 30 round capacity magazines [[Most of the mags carried by the shooter were 10 rounds) and even then he managed to slaughter 33 adults! Sure, most rounds typically fired from an AR-15 will do more damage than a 9mm, but at these distances well placed shots are generally going to be lethal no matter what.

Banning the AR-15 in a quest to reduce school shootings is like banning the Dodge Charger to reduce speeding on Detroit freeways. In either instance the speeders [[And shooters) will simply use what's still available and do exactly the same thing.

Another guy entered a hospital in Tulsa and killed at least four, don’t know how many wounded. He then killed himself.

He didn’t use a Dodge or any other brand vehicle. He must have thought it was better to walk in with a rifle and hand gun for a
    more fine grained approach.

Another guy entered a hospital in Tulsa and killed at least four, don’t know how many wounded. He then killed himself.

He didn’t use a Dodge or any other brand vehicle. He must have thought it was better to walk in with a rifle and hand gun for a
    And he could have very easily killed 4 people with a revolver or a pump action shotgun. I guess you can't refute my point, hence the sarcastic response.

Well Canada's Trudeau [which of course includes our neighbors Ontario - thus worthy of posting here] ended the parsing [we must do something...] and other tiddily-wink talking points towards a final solution:

Selling or importing handguns now illegal.

Canada to cap the market for handguns with new legislation

Invoking Uvalde, Trudeau out to freeze handgun sales - Politico

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Here's the problem with thinking than banning the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles will solve the school shooting problem. To date, the deadliest school shooting in America [[Virginia Tech) was committed with two pistols!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-02-22 at 10:07 AM.

^ it shows more pandering then problem solving.

It does not rule out real weapons of war,bolt action,which are still being used in war zones and actually can be bought cheaper then most modern day weapons.

The AR can be ordered with different barrels that range from 22LR all the way up to 7.62.

My guess he will next declare it a national emergency and start going house to house.
    Last edited by Richard; June-02-22 at 10:26 AM.

And he was pretty clear why he did it and had a specific target.

Had back surgery,was in extreme pain,called the doctor who said they could not help [[ wondering if the medical communities reluctance to disperse opiates for pain played a role) so he went after the doctor and anybody else that got in his way,then himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    And he could have very easily killed 4 people with a revolver or a pump action shotgun. I guess you can't refute my point, hence the sarcastic response.

I’m not refuting your point. I’m coming around to your point of view. I think that the killer was probably having a bad day, and he also had the right to defend himself with as many guns as he deemed reasonable. He was otherwise a pretty level headed guy, probably. There are sacrifices to be made on the altar of gun owners rights, and 5 people including the personable guy were sacrificed on it. I am not sure how many were just hurt, and how bad…

And he was pretty clear why he did it and had a specific target.

Had back surgery,was in extreme pain,called the doctor who said they could not help [[ wondering if the medical communities reluctance to disperse opiates for pain played a role) so he went after the doctor and anybody else that got in his way,then himself.

You also have to consider how unwieldy a car or truck would be in assaulting particular victims. The car/truck gig is not all that good at infiltrating hallways and taking out an agile would be victim in a parking lot situation. Your armed forces don’t rely on infantry to kill the enemy with Hummers, they carry guns instead.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast