Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Reading through the article quickly, it sounds like they took care of the basic code violations, and got the houses into move in condition. I think the problem arises with Duggan's choice of the adjective "renovated", which implies ALL the work is totally completed. Reading the link tells you that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Reading through the article quickly, it sounds like they took care of the basic code violations, and got the houses into move in condition. I think the problem arises with Duggan's choice of the adjective "renovated", which implies ALL the work is totally completed. Reading the link tells you that isn't the case.
    The Land Bank has 2 categories. Duggan is probably playing fast and lose with lumping both categories into the 'renovated' bucket, if that truly is the 8k referred to. Nonetheless, it's a large effort and more than any previous administration attempted.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  30.2 KB

'Rehabbed + Ready to Renovate' does alot more than basic code violation.

Generally, the following items are completed by the DLBA Property Rehab team:
    • New/repaired siding
    • New/repaired windows
    • New/repaired roof
    • New/repaired sewer line
    • Full environmental abatement [[lead and asbestos)
    • Foundation assessment and repairs
    • New/repaired brickwork
    • New/repaired flatwork
    • Interior carpentry completed—selective demo and new framing
    • Drywall hung, mudded, taped
    • New HVAC system
    • New electrical system [[without fixtures)
    • New interior plumbing [[without fixtures)
    Last edited by hybridy; November-02-21 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    The Land Bank has 2 categories. Duggan is probably playing fast and lose with lumping both categories into the 'renovated' bucket, if that truly is the 8k referred to. Nonetheless, it's a large effort and more than any previous administration attempted.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  30.2 KB

'Rehabbed + Ready to Renovate' does alot more than basic code violation.
    Given the amount of work done, they should come up with a better name than “Rehabbed and Ready to Renovate.” Something like “Rehabbed and Ready to Finish.” If the houses are cleared, stabilized, have windows, roofs and major systems up to code, are drywalled, etc. then it’s more a matter of finishing the renovation to one’s standards and tastes. Seems like all the heavy lifting has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Given the amount of work done, they should come up with a better name than “Rehabbed and Ready to Renovate.” Something like “Rehabbed and Ready to Finish.” If the houses are cleared, stabilized, have windows, roofs and major systems up to code, are drywalled, etc. then it’s more a matter of finishing the renovation to one’s standards and tastes. Seems like all the heavy lifting has been done.
    "Finish Ready"
    Last edited by bust; November-02-21 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I think the intent is to get the new home owner involved so they can feel comfortable doing the minor maintenance in the future.

It’s one thing to buy and another to upkeep.

They had a similar program by me but the new homeowners had to complete a home maintenance program before purchase.

Plus they get to pick their own paint colors and ceiling fans etc.

When I was contracting,I hated painting and always gave the customer a discount for doing their own,surprising enough 95% preferred it.

Not sure if they require permits for painting and ceiling fans up there but it does appear as if they have done all of the permit required stuff,and really once one has a roof over their head,if it takes 6 months before a room is painted it’s no big deal.

I do not think there is even a real term in the trades that defines what they are doing,definitely not punch out ready or rough in,so I guess it is open to interpretation as to what even one wants to call it.

Almost finished even works,or needs finial TLC.

Substantial completion marks the moment in a construction project when the owner can occupy or use the property, but some punch list items remain to be completed.

So they could call it substantially completed ,but then have to explain all of that,so it’s just easier to say renovated with BYOP.
    Last edited by Richard; November-02-21 at 10:02 PM.