Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Certainly easy to see traveling south; certainly easier to see than Whole Foods. The siting of the store is a non-issue. It will do very well.

Who knows... there might even be one of these...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^ Hah! Another technological advance for us all! Yes!

Interestingly in some suburbs large signs are less abundant, due to zoning or that like and yet you find what you need, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Certainly easy to see traveling south; certainly easier to see than Whole Foods. The siting of the store is a non-issue. It will do very well.
    What is interesting is that placement makes the lease price per Sqft for the shops facing the 4 lane more expensive then the Target space,which kinda says that they are targeting National chains verses local.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Hah! Another technological advance for us all! Yes!

Interestingly in some suburbs large signs are less abundant, due to zoning or that like and yet you find what you need, usually.
    You are probably to young but remember in the 70s when the whole embedded messages in the music being played in stores was the concern.

In a round about way you could say Hudson’s is returning to Detroit after so many years.

The big signs are more about planting the seed in ones mind in the future.

Its like car dealerships,you can see it is a car dealership,but they have to have a massive sign telling you.
    Last edited by Richard; October-31-21 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Who knows... there might even be one of these...
    I found the specs on that puppy here. It's 120 feet tall.

I hope they made it bulletproof because it's a pretty tempting ... target. <groan>

I was young but as I was raised in a household of thinkers about such things etc., I recall the debate.

We now have the social media 'influencers' doing a far better job at filling minds and manufacturing 'consent'.

A brave new world indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You are probably to young but remember in the 70s when the whole embedded messages in the music being played in stores was the concern....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I found the specs on that puppy here. It's 120 feet tall.

I hope they made it bulletproof because it's a pretty tempting ... target. <groan>

lol, good one.

The question is, would it be possible to put that kind of signage on a street corner blocking views from the apartment building. I think not.

I like the recessed corner plaza design.

As far as finding the place…

…Whatever happened to the old fashioned "lick yer index finger, lift it out the car window, and turn on the GPS to find yer way around?

Question: Where have all the Targets in Canada gone?

There is still a lot of room in the US to fill.
    Last edited by canuck; November-01-21 at 07:36 AM.

Was wondering if anyone has access to this Crain's Detroit Article, was wondering what this article had to say:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...s-move-detroit

Here's an interesting article in today's Free Press regarding a controversy with the Prismatic Club, an all male social club that has been around since 1867, and their Victorian 19th C clubhouse in the midst of the SoMa. The club includes several prominent metro-Detroiters as members. A few years back, I attended one of their meetings as a guest where I was pleased to meet [and thank] Paul Ganson, bassoonist of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra who was the key figure in saving Orchestra Hall from demolition and launching its restoration. The Club is asserting that the owners of the SoMa project are trying to squeeze them out and consequently have filed a suit.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...acebaf_1345fc1

Name:  Prismatic.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  57.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Question: Where have all the Targets in Canada gone?

There is still a lot of room in the US to fill.
    How could you not know the story that was Target's disastrous venture into Canada? It was everywhere on the news and we spent time discussing it here. Like most execs who totally screw up, instead of a pink slip they probably got a big check.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Canada
    Last edited by 401don; November-01-21 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Aside from the points already made, Mack Ave. between Woodward and the freeways [[75, with 94 exit a mile north), sees heavy traffic, for obvious [["Midtown", DMC Hospitals, Wayne State, Max, etc.) reasons. Visibility isn't a problem, just as it hasn't been for Whole Foods, whose signage faces mainly south.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    lol, good one.

The question is, would it be possible to put that kind of signage on a street corner blocking views from the apartment building. I think not.

I like the recessed corner plaza design.

As far as finding the place…

…Whatever happened to the old fashioned "lick yer index finger, lift it out the car window, and turn on the GPS to find yer way around?
    GPS anymore is about as reliable as a Ford.

Those little expanded C-Store type things are expensive to shop at,because of limited shelf space you really do not get large anything economically.

They have little Wal-Mart neighborhood markets stuck everywhere in Orlando,they are really just a larger 7-11,okay in a pinch but you definitely do not want to do your monthly shopping there.

They are kinda like Save-A-Lot,you get 1 brand of coffee to choose from, in one small size.

In this case it is progress and a start,but it is not really a solution.

In other parts,Target has a serious following with lower middle and upper class,you do not see much of the lower incomes in there.
    Last edited by Richard; November-01-21 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    How could you not know the story that was Target's disastrous venture into Canada? It was everywhere on the news and we spent time discussing it here. Like most execs who totally screw up, instead of a pink slip they probably got a big check.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Canada

Lol. Yes, I’m well aware of that episode in Canadian retail. It went bust pretty quick. I remember going a few times to ine that had replaced a Zellers store, and the place was half stocked, etc… Big write-off, that was.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Was wondering if anyone has access to this Crain's Detroit Article, was wondering what this article had to say:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...s-move-detroit
    I’d love to know as well.

99 out of every 100 people traveling up or down Woodward will know exactly where the Target is within a month after it opens.
    0.99 out of every 1 people remaining will already have a plan where they're going.

Congratulations to the developers for their good sense to increase foot traffic and better the neighborhood by allowing for several tenants along Woodward instead of just one.

They'll benefit from the greater visibility more.
    Last edited by bust; November-01-21 at 10:05 PM.

I’d love to know as well.
    The Minneapolis-based retail giant had been eyeing the city for north of a half-decade, with its eyes keenly affixed on the seven-acre site owned by the Nyman family at the southeast corner of Woodward and Mack avenues.A potent retail cocktail that is based on bodies, wallets, cars and eyeballs all mixed together, resulting in what is expected to be a small-format Target outpost clocking in at about 32,000 square feet, about a quarter the size of the company's typical stores.
    If all goes to plan, Target's arrival in the future — the developer has not said when construction would start or be completed — would be a step forward in slowing what city consultants in 2018 deemed was about $2.6 billion in so-called "retail bleed:" Money Detroit residents spend in suburbs on goods and services not available in their neighborhoods.

Discussions between the Nymans, Target and brokers over the years hinged on economic considerations as well as the possibility of putting the small-format store elsewhere when other suitors came forward.

Ultimately, however, with a signed lease now in hand, Target is expected to serve as retail anchor of a $74.2 million mixed-use development led by Farmington Hills-based City Club Apartments LLC, which is run by longtime developer Jonathan Holtzman.
    Basically household incomes + adjacency to Wayne State and DMC. They also note being outside the stadia district as being more useful of a location for access/visit frequency. They're not targeting a downtown office worker. They also make note of $2.6 Billion in annual retail bleed from the city and this midtown 3-mile income demographic is stronger than an equivalent suburban location. They cite a Novi location.
    Last edited by hybridy; November-02-21 at 10:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2