Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Most of us wouldn't today, but in a byegone era it was a wonderful way to travel on the cheap and meet a variety of people,if only for an hour or two.

My thanks gnome, for this thread, it's brought back a lot of memories of both rides and riders I encountered back then.

I haven't thought of the drive from Stowe in years, picked up a guy and drove directly into a whiteout, I couldn't stop the van because of an electrical problem and it was 30 below. He had weed and I had a fifth of Jack.

It was one hell of a drive through Vermont that night, stoned and drunk in the middle of a whiteout in a van that if I stopped wouldn't start again and we would freeze to death.

Not something I would recommend to anyone to try.

ccbatson Guest

The internet [[hey...this forum as a good example), more than compensates for expanded social contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    The internet [[hey...this forum as a good example), more than compensates for expanded social contacts.
    That explains a lot.

ccbatson Guest

Mightn't it? Any social goals of hitchhiking may have been replaced. Come to think of it, what other waning social interaction patterns might owe their decline to the internet?

Mightn't it? Any social goals of hitchhiking may have been replaced. Come to think of it, what other waning social interaction patterns might owe their decline to the internet?
    The jam band scene has actually used the internet to increase social interaction--electronically sharing concerts actually bring out more people to those shows, with meet ups and mini-conventions happening nationwide. Instead of hiding behind their screens, people are actively seeking out other like-minded people. Hmm, where has that happened before?

ccbatson Guest

You make my point fairly well there Alsodave.

You make my point fairly well there Alsodave.
    Your point that the internet is an acceptable substitute for expanded social interaction?
    There are people on this forum that neither post nor read the non-Detroit section, yet they've met up for fun and to advance social causes--so much for the decline of social patterns. Is this not your experience? And do you dismiss it simply because it's not your experience?

ccbatson Guest

Agreed, an enhancement of social interaction and a form of it.

Interesting subject. Hope this post is not 2late. I use to thumb back and forth to NMU, 1969-70-71, winter and summer. Got great rides and stood long times in snowstorms also. Hitched back and forth to Ft. Riley, Kansas with the same great results. Detroit downriver was an easy thumb in the sixtys and early 70's.
    I have tried it again in the 2000's despite knowing the dangers, and can say, few people will pick you up anymore. Ya spend lots of time waiting for a ride and end up walking mostly.
    Just think, we would be called "Green Thumb" in today's carbon footprint era!

Blarf Guest

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pick up some random stranger on the side of the road. Too many wierd fuckers out there.

If they can't afford a Greyhound bus ticket to wherever they are going, than they have problems. Just stick to train hopping, like the good ole days.

Come to think of it, what other waning social interaction patterns might owe their decline to the internet?
    Common courtesy?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3