Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Uhh no, why would I be? How are those lots going to be developed if they're periodically used every year for the grand prix??
    Those lots have been sitting for decades. The Grand Prix is hardly going to keep them from being developed if a real proposal [[there's been plenty of non-starters) ever comes along.

The route can easily be changed year-on-year. The planned redevelopment of 375 would disrupt this proposed route.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Uhh no, why would I be? How are those lots going to be developed if they're periodically used every year for the grand prix??
    GM has been promising to build a neighborhood in that area since they bought the Renaissance Center in the mid 1990s... they're as slow as the Ilitches in replacing parking lots with buildings. I wouldn't worry about the Grand Prix holding up any construction there. If they need it... then the pit area can be moved over to Emmett Motens large parking wasteland south of the Fort Shelby Hotel since he demolished the Saturday Night Building to expand the parking no-man's land there...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Here was the 1982-1991 downtown course for the Grand Prix...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroi...et_Circuit.svg

Here is the [still under discussion] proposed new downtown course [scroll down]...

https://www.mlive.comyel/sports/2021/09/detroit-grand-prix-proposes-move-from-belle-isle-back-to-downtown.html
    Much prefer the old course.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Much prefer the old course.
    I agree, I liked the old course as well. However this new course lessens the disruptions for downtown businesses.

Default Grand Prix moving Downtown in 2023

[[Edit: I'm sorry, didn't notice there was already a Grand Prix thread. There doesn't seem to be an option to delete a thread one has started)

A three year contract. Hopefully the wretched "paddock" will be removed immediately after next year's race, but I can see it staying in place indefinitely in case the city changes its mind again in a few years.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...23/6269217001/
    Last edited by Burnsie; November-04-21 at 09:59 AM.

YAY!!!

The Prix is back in Gilbert Town Detroit and better than ever. At last Belle Isle can rest and let the flowers and tress grow again.

It's official. Council has approved the return of the the Detroit Grand Prix to downtown.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...752e46_1345fc4

I wonder if there is any chance Detroit could get back on the Formula 1 circuit.

It would had been nice if it coincided with the auto show

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It would had been nice if it coincided with the auto show
    That wouldn't work for all kinds of logistical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It's official. Council has approved the return of the the Detroit Grand Prix to downtown.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...752e46_1345fc4

I wonder if there is any chance Detroit could get back on the Formula 1 circuit.
    My dream!!

Stromberg2

I'm not really a race fan but always thought this would be really cool to have back in Downtown. I was too young to recall when it was still down there but always thought it looked cool. Definitely something I would consider attending now.

I went to the F1 races as a kid. Still remember the sounds of the car’s echoing downtown. It’s worth trying again

Not a fan.

I dealt with the road closures when the race was downtown and quickly grew to hate the 2.5 months of disruption.

With the start/finish line a tad east of the RenCen the folks who parked there had to relocate to a dirt lot between River Front towers and the Free Press printing plant. After parking one had the lovely treat of waiting for a shuttle bus.

The whole parking/shuttle added an hour or more to the commute.

On the practice race days just getting a shuttle bus was a even bigger pain. It required you to surf through the drunken throng to a pick up stop outside the race course. Squeezing pass sweaty gasbags of drunken, shouting, peeing, tattooed Jabba-The-Hutt wannabes was a tad unpleasant.

I’m sure all those GM folks in the RenCen will rue their choice to get involved with automobiles. 2.5 months of being self-owned.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I’m sure all those GM folks in the RenCen will rue their choice to get involved with automobiles.
    That seems like an odd sentence.
    However I know what you mean. It's really a sign of how uncongested downtown Detroit remains that it would approve it. No other North American city would.

^^ Gnome, I remember all the congestion too. But this time the route is farther east, mainly on Jefferson, and less intrusive to the downtown grid. Also Woodward is now closed at Jefferson, so I'm sure that will make it less congested at race time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That seems like an odd sentence.
    However I know what you mean. It's really a sign of how uncongested downtown Detroit remains that it would approve it. No other North American city would.
    that seems like a really odd statement as other cities do run circuits downtown,it has little to do with congestion or lack of.

the 2022 F1 circuit is Miami,Montreal,Austin - hardly cities that lack congestion.

https://www.boxofficeticketsales.com...%20Formula%201

Having the circuit downtown Detroit does put the city on the world stage as when it is run,there will be millions worldwide watching it being televised.
    Last edited by Richard; November-18-21 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    that seems like a really odd statement as other cities do run circuits downtown,it has little to do with congestion or lack of.

the 2022 F1 circuit is Miami,Montreal,Austin - hardly cities that lack congestion.

https://www.boxofficeticketsales.com...%20Formula%201

Having the cas when it is run,there will be millions worldwide watching it being televised.
    I actually figured you'd chime in with St. Petersburg -ha ha. Cities like Toronto, Montreal, Miami's new route around Hard Rock Stadium are not built right downtown in the business core. They are on the waterfront, an island, etc. Don't know much about Austin but it looks like it's way outside the core by the Pickle Parkway, whatever that is.
    Last edited by 401don; November-18-21 at 06:07 PM.

^ St Pete is an island also,have to go over the bridges to get there.

Interesting enough when it was first brought there,nobody really wanted to live in the downtown,if that is what you want to call it,so there was little congestion.

Now it is $600k starting for a condo,$2k plus for a small 1 bedroom apt and a ramshackle house in the hood where you need to dodge bullets to get to,will set you back $350,000.

It was touted as a way to draw people back to the downtown back then,people are back but it remains to be seen if it will remain acceptable to the uppity ones and continue,because the uppity do not like us lower class uneducated folk meandering about on their claim.

Traffic is already chaotic and during the race it is really no different then if a football or some other sports event is going on,one just knows to stay away if it is not their cup of tea.

With Uber it is easy,$30 they drop you off where you want to be,same thing you are going to pay for parking without the headaches.

After 9-11 it all becomes restricted airspace when events are going so one cannot helicopter in anymore,that was the easiest.
    Last edited by Richard; November-18-21 at 07:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3