Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Greenfield and Brush? Did you mead Greendale? I grew up on Brush and Louisiana across from Greenfield Park school but no Greenfield street.
    Yeah you're right I fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    Are there any historians here who know after whom Grixdale was named? In a past life I knew some people named Grix, but they lived on Greendale - go figure.
    Here is an old plat map from 1876 with the Grix farm the street was named after. I also noted one of the relatives; Anthony Grix who owned land on Livernois where Motor City brewing is located in the original Barn[[maybe house also?)
    Name:  Grix Farm.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Motor City Brewing.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  80.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Despite the issues above, Grixdale was still pretty solidly populated back in about 2005, a few blocks of well maintained homes surrounded by mostly low income renters and some dilapidated vacants. The majority of the houses that are gone now were victims of the 07' housing crash. There were a hand full of landlords who owned most of the rentals, they pulled the equity out during the Countrywide era to buy more properties, then walked away from them after going underwater. All of the renters were forced out by the banks who had assumed the notes, and who had taken insurance out on the properties before letting them sit wide open for all of the left behind people to pick apart.

There are currently no plans in place for the area, the adjacent blocks are still waiting for hazardous clean up.
    Are you talking about Grixdale Farms [[SouthEast of 7 & Woodward) or Grixdale neighborhood [[west of Conant Gardens South West of 7 & Conant)?

$345,000, no freakin way. The market is outta control..

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Palmer Park nearby, war zone nearby also.

"war zone" - are you sure about what you said? I'd like your reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post

See the screenshots above, bombed out, burnt down, dozed, leveled, vacated, abandoned, polluted ... use whatever term you want for blocks and blocks of nothing or rotting hulks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Are you talking about Grixdale Farms [[SouthEast of 7 & Woodward) or Grixdale neighborhood [[west of Conant Gardens South West of 7 & Conant)?
    South of 7 and Woodward, Grixdale Farms. That's the neighborhood where the house we are talking about is located. Sorry for not being more clear, I was typing fast and pulled this together when I was on break.

@donpablo - Nice find! I love old plat maps, the font is amazing.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-24-21 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Take a ride around that area. No explanation will be needed.

The neighborhood's burden of industrial toxins x10.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    How soon we [not everyone] forget and need, again, proof.

On the eastside of Woodward particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Take a ride around that area. No explanation will be needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2