This old thread from 2009 popped up but I cannot post to it so I will continue here.
There are stories in the thread of bike riding on Grand River to Lansing. Well, everytime I tell this I get a laugh.
It was the summer of 1961 and I was going into my senior year of high school. My friend was going to be a fresh at MSU and went to summer school to get a feel for the campus life ahead of the the rush. She kept telling me about 15 cent french fries at this new place in Lansing and that I just had to come up. But..I did not have a car. So...I bought a bus ticket. We left Pontiac, or where ever the bus station was back then, and took Grand River to Lansing. Stoppd at every town the entire way there. Same towns as mentioned in the bike riding story. It took something like 6 hours onth bus and cost maybe $3.50 each way, if that. Anyway, that was my first MacDonalds. The hamburger and coke was an after thought...we were there for the 15 cent fries!!! My husband cannot believe I took a bus all the way to Lansing to go to a MacDonalds. But he was older and had a car.