Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
Greetings Forum Phenoms,

Resettlement - Afghans to Detroit. Just asking. With my cursory knowledge of the housing stock in Detroit, I am wondering whether a goodly number of boarded up houses could be rehabbed quickly enough to help create a community for these refugees. Yes, I am mindful of situations like competition for jobs with the established community. Another group of non-Christians within the city proper. Possible terrorist “plants” within this group. Racism and Xenophobia. All of the hallmarks that greeted other large contingents of immigrants [[The Hmong community in Minnesota comes to mind, as well as, Cubans, Central Americans, Vietnamese, and Filipinos.)

A significant number of Afghans could change the landscape of the city - over time. Would 50,000 people be too many? Not enough?
Highly unlikely due to the shortage of building materials, licensed tradespeople, and time lag in getting all the building and other permits for boarded up houses before getting an occupancy permit. If they were to be settled in metro, they'd most likely be taken in by families in Dearborn and settle there.