Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    As part of Gilbert’s Ford Field proposal, it included renovations to Ford Field to bring it up to MLS specifications.
    If I remember correctly [[and please correct me if I'm wrong), Gilbert's "renovations" was nothing more than putting up a huge curtain in the middle of the stadium to block off sections of seating.

Conversely, Atlanta's stadium was built with a roof that can open, its turf gets replaced every 2 years [[which isn't cheap, BTW) and has retractable lower-bowl seats.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If I remember correctly [[and please correct me if I'm wrong), Gilbert's "renovations" was nothing more than putting up a huge curtain in the middle of the stadium to block off sections of seating.

Conversely, Atlanta's stadium was built with a roof that can open, its turf gets replaced every 2 years [[which isn't cheap, BTW) and has retractable lower-bowl seats.
    There was a bit more to it then just a curtain, though yes an upper deck curtain was included should crowds not materialize enough. There were also other improvements include to add locker rooms and other field level improvements. The big sticking point is that soccer purists hate turf, and want a grass pitch, which Ford Field can’t provide.

That being said, Atlanta’s roof opening is not big enough to allow grass to grow there either, so they have turf. And so does Seattle, Vancouver, and several other clubs. So while not desirable, turf would be allowed elsewhere but again not in Detroit.

I admit an outdoor soccer stadium would be nicer, but someone has to pay for it. And again, Seattle, Atlanta, etc. we’re allowed to reap the cost savings of sharing their venue with the NFL… but Detroit was not. So in a way, I am glad Gilbert didn’t spend his money to placate a double standard. I’m actually glad he decided to spend that money on building the Hudson block and/or other projects instead .
    Last edited by Atticus; August-24-21 at 07:38 PM.