Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    About 20 years ago, I attended an event hosted by Dan Duggan, brother of the mayor and owner of a minor league soccer club then called the Mid-Michigan Bucks, now the Flint City Bucks. Way back then, and we're talking early 2000s, Duggan was working to drum up interest, publicity and investors in an effort to bring MLS to Detroit.
    That would have been the time to do it. Now MLS pretty much extorts cities to get new stadiums and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    i hear this a lot, but hard to understand. Soccer is non stop action. No boring tv timeouts, no taking forever to change pitchers. How long does it take to play the last two minutes of an NBA game, like 30 mins with all the timeouts? NFL games are 60 mins but actual game play is about 5 mins.
    Soccer is non-stop, but it's non-stop grind. 99% of the time in any match there is no chance that there will be a point awarded, and besides that there is no other objective the players are trying to achieve.

Every pass or run could turn into a TD, every at bat a HR, every drive down the court or rink could pay out in less than 30 seconds, so if the game is even somewhat meaningful to you enjoyment is easy.

American Football and baseball have the added benefits of achieving small wins that you can cheer for while building towards a run or TD. Just getting a hit, or stealing a base provides some instant suspense or reward. Same goes with each down in football. Every snap is a micro competition that has it's own conclusion in short order.

Soccer lacks the "anything could happen at any time" aspect of basketball and hockey, and also lacks the micro competitions of baseball or football.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Soccer is non-stop, but it's non-stop grind. 99% of the time in any match there is no chance that there will be a point awarded, and besides that there is no other objective the players are trying to achieve.

Every pass or run could turn into a TD, every at bat a HR, every drive down the court or rink could pay out in less than 30 seconds, so if the game is even somewhat meaningful to you enjoyment is easy.

American Football and baseball have the added benefits of achieving small wins that you can cheer for while building towards a run or TD. Just getting a hit, or stealing a base provides some instant suspense or reward. Same goes with each down in football. Every snap is a micro competition that has it's own conclusion in short order.

Soccer lacks the "anything could happen at any time" aspect of basketball and hockey, and also lacks the micro competitions of baseball or football.
    Yeah but sometimes they get hit in the head with the ball on purpose.

Thank you everyone so much for your diverse inputs!! I personally and sincerely hope that Detroit gets an MLS Team sooner rather than later!! In this day and age it would be a welcomed change for a Billionaire to fund their own stadium.

For all those In The Know as well as those that would like to prognosticate, what do you believe Gilbert will fully do with The Failed Jail Site? Thank you all again for all of your input!!

DCFC is moving to the USL Championship which is the second tier of the USSF soccer pyramid. This is a great move for the club. USL Championship is the ceiling for DCFC in its current ownership form. It's a solid league with excellent quality of play. With some relatively minor improvements, Keyworth can remain the club's home. It compares well enough with facilities used by many of the league's clubs. It will be interesting to see how many of the core players of the past few years remain with the club as it moves up to the 2nd division level. https://www.uslchampionship.com/news...e/show/1193403

This development probably doesn't move the needle one way or the other when it comes to the question posed by the title of this thread.

Just want to revive this classic thread to mention that DCFC just beat the Columbus Crew, an MLS team, in the US Open Cup at home last night.

Even though it was freezing, the stands were packed and looked awesome on ESPN+. Easily the biggest win in club history. Really cool to watch; wish I was there in person.

Just incredible!
    Honestly, with all that DCFC offers. For me there is no need for an MLS team. Great play, incredible fans, tremendous atmosphere at Keyworth, and socially positive company.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Just want to revive this classic thread to mention that DCFC just beat the Columbus Crew, an MLS team, in the US Open Cup at home last night.

Even though it was freezing, the stands were packed and looked awesome on ESPN+. Easily the biggest win in club history. Really cool to watch; wish I was there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Just incredible!
    Honestly, with all that DCFC offers. For me there is no need for an MLS team. Great play, incredible fans, tremendous atmosphere at Keyworth, and socially positive company.
    Couldn't pay me to watch soccer, but why would Columbus care to put much effort in a meaningless exhibition game on a freezing cold Tuesday night?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Couldn't pay me to watch soccer, but why would Columbus care to put much effort in a meaningless exhibition game on a freezing cold Tuesday night?
    Cool. It also wasn't a meaningless exhibition, it was part of a cup competition.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Cool. It also wasn't a meaningless exhibition, it was part of a cup competition.
    That's what they usually do for exhibition series. We're playing for the [[nowadays you insert sponsor's name) ....Cup!

The US Open Cup is not an exhibition, nor does it have a corporate naming deal, but many teams don't play their starters in the early rounds because typically they can dispose of "lesser" teams from lower divisions pretty easily. Not the case last night with DCFC. Gyasi Zardes even played for the Crew, but it wasn't enough.

That's what they usually do for exhibition series. We're playing for the [[nowadays you insert sponsor's name) ....Cup!
    Couldn't pay you to watch soccer and you don't know anything about the sport nor the cup. Maybe refrain from commenting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Couldn't pay you to watch soccer and you don't know anything about the sport nor the cup. Maybe refrain from commenting here.
    I thought that's what the internet was for.

The US Open Cup bears no resemblance to an exhibition. Unlike with many facts our country's red-hat wearing populace find inconvenient, there are no alternative facts regarding the importance of the US Open Cup. Just like with the FA Cup in England, the DFB-Pokal in Germany and dozens of other national cup competitions, the Open Cup title is the second most important championship in the U.S., behind only the MLS Cup. All clubs, including MLS clubs treat it as such. Tuesday's DCFC win was recognized by soccer media around the country as exceptional and reflected well the quality of the club's play and it's supporter culture. Now, if the liberals could just recognize the existence of all of those other alternative facts out there our country could become less divided, right.
    Last edited by swingline; April-22-22 at 02:56 PM.

Ah yes, lets cram politics into every single discussion. How fun.

Anyway, DCFC moves on to the next round to play Louisville City [[another USL team) on May 10th at Keyworth. I dare say this is a winnable game. And if they win, there's a good chance they'll have another shot at an MLS team.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The US Open Cup bears no resemblance to an exhibition. Unlike with many facts our country's red-hat wearing populace find inconvenient, there are no alternative facts regarding the importance of the US Open Cup. Just like with the FA Cup in England, the DFB-Pokal in Germany and dozens of other national cup competitions, the Open Cup title is the second most important championship in the U.S., behind only the MLS Cup. All clubs, including MLS clubs treat it as such. Tuesday's DCFC win was recognized by soccer media around the country as exceptional and reflected well the quality of the club's play and it's supporter culture. Now, if the liberals could just recognize the existence of all of those other alternative facts out there our country could become less divided, right.
    So it's like if baseball decided to have a tournament with the AAA and major league teams? Sounds pretty goofy Mr. Trump.

Its actual true free market competition. You don't have leagues isolating terrible teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves or AZ Diamondbacks. Now we see that the Columbus Crew isn't as good as they think they are or the MLS is. What's goofy is a piss poor team like the Lions can be in the top tier of football for so long and still command high value tickets and branding.

In most soccer leagues its actually true competition. The bottom 3 teams fall to a lower division of soccer and the top 3 teams of that level move up a division. This keeps the focus of a team on WINNING not just profit. It also makes the terrible teams have to fight for their lives at the end of the season. Teams aren't granted by a league. They're given space to enter because they're good.

The U.S. cup continues that true competition format.

So it's like if baseball decided to have a tournament with the AAA and major league teams? Sounds pretty goofy Mr. Trump.

The U.S. Open Cup [aka Lamar Hunt Cup] ain't no fly-by-night shady competition. It's been around for more than 100 years.
    https://www.ussoccer.com/us-open-cup

We've been DCFC supporters since the early days of their existence [founded 2012]. It's been great to watch them succeed as a team and as a community supporter. Every year they are better as a team, even adding a women's team, and every year they do more around the metro Detroit area, promoting soccer to young players and raising money for various local charity partners. They are committed to the city! And their fan base is growing.
    https://www.detcityfc.com/

We were at the Cup match on Tuesday and it was an awesome show by the team and their supporters! Proud to be a Le Rouge fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The U.S. Open Cup [aka Lamar Hunt Cup] ain't no fly-by-night shady competition. It's been around for more than 100 years.
    https://www.ussoccer.com/us-open-cup

We've been DCFC supporters since the early days of their existence [founded 2012]. It's been great to watch them succeed as a team and as a community supporter. Every year they are better as a team, even adding a women's team, and every year they do more around the metro Detroit area, promoting soccer to young players and raising money for various local charity partners. They are committed to the city! And their fan base is growing.
    https://www.detcityfc.com/

We were at the Cup match on Tuesday and it was an awesome show by the team and their supporters! Proud to be a Le Rouge fan!!
    Who won last year - and don't look it up!

Gotta love it when people don't watch soccer, don't understand the structure of leagues or tournaments, but just gotta shit all over something other people enjoy. Thumbs up.

Such a boring attempt at trolling.

Who won last year - and don't look it up!
    I admit it! I have no idea. I'm not a soccer across-the-board fan! But ask me who won the World Series last year. Only if my team had been in the playoffs or the championship am I likely to know. I follow and support my team[s] in their endeavors.
    Last edited by Kathleen; April-25-22 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Such a boring attempt at trolling.
    Okay I'll stop but I have to admit even as a Canadian I miss the good old days when making fun of soccer was the American national past time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3