Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WAR - Low Rider {Official Video} [Remastered in 4K]

Watch the original music video for WAR - Low Rider from 'Why Can't We Be Friends?' {1975} newly remastered from the original 16MM film reels.

For our friends across the globe, sing along in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, or French by enabling subtitles! To watch in 4K, adjust your Settings ⚙️ to 2160p {4K}

WAR burst onto the scene 50 years ago, capturing the heart and soul of America’s streets with its righteous, multi-cultural sound on hits like “Why Can’t We Be Friends?” “Low Rider” and “The Cisco Kid.” Avenue/Rhino is kicking off a year-long anniversary celebration that will begin with the introduction of a new colored-vinyl boxed set for Record Store Day, available at participating retailers.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-29-21 at 08:24 PM.

Nope, not trolling just giving facts that perhaps some folks just don't like. The cruise may have looked "normal" where you were but the facts are facts: it's in decline and fast.

There is not enough "replenishment" of younger cruisers to supplement the loss of the older population. The sponsorships are way down from peak years. "classic cars" are in smaller numbers. No more dedicated cruise and passing lanes. Tumble weeds in southern Ferndale when in past curbs medians were overflowing and it took 45 mins. to go from Marshall to 9 mile.

Classic cars are 25+ years older so I guess I'll can roll my mint '93 Prizm next year, eh? Like that? Sure you do, it's a classic car!

So if ya wanna keep yer head up your tailpipe - no worries from me. I enjoyed the "cruise" when it first started but after it went corporate and was overrun by old fogies with crap bondo cars throwing trash everywhere -- nope, no more for me. Not a lot of younger folks could give two craps about grandparents /great grandparents riding around town in jalopies <-- it's actually a pretty pathetic sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Nope, not trolling just giving facts that perhaps some folks just don't like. The cruise may have looked "normal" where you were but the facts are facts: it's in decline and fast.
    Have you never heard of the mature stage of the life cycle? It's a marketing term. Not everything goes straight up and then straight down. Interest and demand peaks and then sometimes goes down a lot, but sometimes declines over decades. Sometimes it just levels off and stays the same. Think hoola hoops, sedans and coca cola. There's a good chance the core fans will be around a very long time, replaced in smaller numbers by new fans. The product [[the cruise) may make changes and adapt just as the autos have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    as a non-gearhead but one that loves the history and the styling of the cars, especially pre-1960.
    Took the words out of my brain, Kathleen. The '50s were the golden years, IMHO. For styling, not necessarily engineering, though strides were made then in those post-war years.

There were a huge amount of younger people participating in the cruise but they weren’t driving classics. Most were in later model Asian or European tuner type vehicles. Not exactly my thing, but I have no problem with it at all. As I previously alluded to, I thought this years cruise was very well attended, more so then the 2018 - 2019 version.

I enjoyed the car show on Atwater and Beaubien. Nice assortment of vehicles.

There is not enough "replenishment" of younger cruisers to supplement the loss of the older population. The sponsorships are way down from peak years. "classic cars" are in smaller numbers. No more dedicated cruise and passing lanes. Tumble weeds in southern Ferndale when in past curbs medians were overflowing and it took 45 mins. to go from Marshall to 9 mile.

Classic cars are 25+ years older so I guess I'll can roll my mint '93 Prizm next year, eh? Like that? Sure you do, it's a classic car!

So if ya wanna keep yer head up your tailpipe - no worries from me. I enjoyed the "cruise" when it first started but after it went corporate and was overrun by old fogies with crap bondo cars throwing trash everywhere -- nope, no more for me. Not a lot of younger folks could give two craps about grandparents /great grandparents riding around town in jalopies <-- it's actually a pretty pathetic sight to see.
    Get off my lawn....

At first you said the Cruise wasn't its normal self from your observations, then changed your claim to say that it only "looks normal".

From "where I was on Woodward" [[which was all along it on for multiple days on bicycle), there wasn't any point where there was anything close to "smooth sailing" as your claimed. Likewise about crowd size -- which if anything actually seemed bigger, no doubt in response to everything that everyone has been through with the pandemic and wanting to get out to some kinds of events and sense of normalcy.

It's obvious from your posts about the topic that you've got some kind of deep-seated ax to grind, hence your misinformation campaign about it. To each their own, whatever your purpose and mindset may be...

"Get off my lawn.."

LOL! y'all a hoot and a half. I can hear the ballin" and sniffles through the "no the cruise if just fine and there's nothing wrong with it, so there!" temper tantrums. Get real.

401Don - thanks Captain Obvious for that knowledge drop | mansplaining - do better in the future.

Looking very forward to next year when Ferndale and Pleasant Ridge permanently drop Woodward down a lane from Baseline to 10 mile. Oh, I can hear the cruisers heads exploding now ... oh lovely it will be!

"Get off my lawn.."

LOL! y'all a hoot and a half. I can hear the ballin" and sniffles through the "no the cruise if just fine and there's nothing wrong with it, so there!" temper tantrums. Get real.

401Don - thanks Captain Obvious for that knowledge drop | mansplaining - do better in the future.

Looking very forward to next year when Ferndale and Pleasant Ridge permanently drop Woodward down a lane from Baseline to 10 mile. Oh, I can hear the cruisers heads exploding now ... oh lovely it will be!
    Not sure what world you live in but there are a lot of 20-30-40 year olds that purchase,restore and enjoy classics just as much as the older generation,the only real shift is getting away from the originality.

There are Detroit-area car clubs that would welcome you and your mint 93 Prizm.
    Last edited by Pat001; September-08-21 at 07:26 PM.

^ Shucks we should have pulled out the 96 Corolla from the garage. She may have fired right-up at the thought of being a 'classic'!

Um wait, it's Toyota. That may have not gone over so well........

^ actually in more parts then not in the world,that would be considered a desirable car,even more so if it had a manual trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ actually in more parts then not in the world,that would be considered a desirable car,even more so if it had a manual trans.

The shipping costs would kill you, though, especially if you sent it Amazon Prime.

Not sure what world you live in but there are a lot of 20-30-40 year olds that purchase,restore and enjoy classics just as much as the older generation,the only real shift is getting away from the originality.

At the very least, the empirical evidence doesn't support this BS claim [and pretty much every claim you make in your empty, overly verbose responses].

Change is a universal fact -- keep fightin' it all ya want.

We drove Toyota stick shifts back to back! I loved them. I had a few Civic 5 speed manual tranny models. Never got stuck in the snow. You could gear down on ice. Sticks are getting harder to find now - even for luxury race models.

When purchasing a vehicle, when resale factors are a consideration, there are three important things to remember: 1) auto transmission 2) auto transmission 3) auto transmission

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    When purchasing a vehicle, when resale factors are a consideration, there are three important things to remember: 1) auto transmission 2) auto transmission 3) auto transmission

Wrong wrong wrong! For resale value of a classic car MANUAL will bring the money! Automatic and a true car guy will walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong! For resale value of a classic car MANUAL will bring the money! Automatic and a true car guy will walk away.
    Correct. My brother, the owner of a 63 Vette, 67 Jaguar, & 68 Cougar swore, since he got his license in 1962, that there are two things he would never own: 1) a new car and 2) a car with an automatic transmission.

^ Absolutely! I agree. Having driven sticks for 20+ years I loved them. Nothing like that control of your tranny. Snow/ ice was no problem. I never burned a clutch and if you needed tranny repair it was cheaper. Now driving autos trans for well over a decade I still miss a stick somewhat. I use my over-drive and 1 and 2 when stuck while others spin around me in the snow never daring to touch anything other than D, N, and R.

If money was not a factor we'd have a stick just for winters! I even drove an SSR Truck stick once. Awesome throw-feel torque-rush when you shift. Ahhh! Down-side is so few can drive a stick now it's a pain should someone else have to drive for you, so auto is required.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-19-21 at 07:05 PM.

With a manual transmission the driver becomes an essential component of the car, stationed between the engine and the drive wheels. The car won't work without that driver.

I had a clutch failure once and was able to drive it to the mechanic by shifting without the clutch.

Switching to automatic is like being demoted from the drive train. How depressing.

Is it even possible for an aftermarket manual transmission to replace a stock automatic? I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    With a manual transmission the driver becomes an essential component of the car, stationed between the engine and the drive wheels. The car won't work without that driver.

I had a clutch failure once and was able to drive it to the mechanic by shifting without the clutch.

Switching to automatic is like being demoted from the drive train. How depressing.

Is it even possible for an aftermarket manual transmission to replace a stock automatic? I could live with that.
    Just a few years ago I would have completely agreed with every word of your post having driven manuals exclusively. The reality tho is technology and innovation marches on regardless of the preferences for the old. This tranny is impressive as hell and after driving it for a few years I would suggest to any manual guy like us to a least giving it a try. It will open your mind to its advantages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-G...c_transmission

^ So long as it's not that slippi-dee-do auto-tranny Ford 'stuck' into those Festiva's a few years ago. I rode with a friend complaining about hers. You could hear the thing slip as we drove and it was less than a year old........

The dealer kept claiming there was no problem; that the slipping, or the 'feeling' that it was slipping was normal. Whatever.

Thankfully it was a lease so she was able to ditch it asap.

If people wanted manual transmissions on vehicles, manufactures would produce more of them. A manual transmission drastically limits potential buyers.

They're loads of fun when you're stuck in a traffic jam.

^ Yeah not so fun much then. It was time - now gone. Fond memories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast