Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Jared Goff actually looked like a serviceable NFL QB aganist the Vikings. Was this the same guy that couldn't throw the ball 20 yards downfield earlier in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's about ----- time! Those same ole Lions!

LIONS 29
    STEELERS 27

That was close.

Lions win Lions win Lions win!!!

There should be a parade for them in Gilbert Town Detroit.

1-10-1

Can they make it two in the row?

They played the Vikings....

Yay! One in a row!

Nice moment with the walkoff win.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Jared Goff actually looked like a serviceable NFL QB aganist the Vikings. Was this the same guy that couldn't throw the ball 20 yards downfield earlier in the season?
    Every mock draft has Hutchinson going 1st to the Lions. As much as I'll enjoy seeing him on the Lions, it figures the year they need a qb and have the 1st pick, the two best, Bryce Young & CJ Stroud, aren't yet eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Every mock draft has Hutchinson going 1st to the Lions. As much as I'll enjoy seeing him on the Lions, it figures the year they need a qb and have the 1st pick, the two best, Bryce Young & CJ Stroud, aren't yet eligible.
    No need to force a QB in this year's draft. They still have two first round picks in 2023. It's hard to think that two drafts in a row would be talent poor at QB. They'll likely still be picking in the top 10 with their own pick in that draft, plus wherever the Rams pick falls. Bottom line, they should have plenty of ammo to get their guy.

This team needs starting level and depth talent at multiple positions. The success or failure of this rebuild won't depend on whether they get their QB this year or next year. Reaching for a QB for the sake of drafting a QB would actually be the biggest risk to the rebuild.

I've said before and continue to hope that in 2022 they draft a DE with their 1st round pick, a WR with the Ram's pick and a S with their top-of-the-second round pick. The board, as it looks now, seems like there'd be appropriate level talent for this strategy. That would hopefully yield three Day 1 starters. They'll have a pair of 3rd round picks [[their own plus a comp pick for Golladay) which would allow them to build depth at a couple of positions. Grab a WR and CB in free agency, sprinkle in some other signings, hope for some luck in the Day 3 picks, and it'd be a wildly successful offseason. 2022 wouldn't see them playoff bound, but the trajectory would be where you'd want to see it.

I always loved the Chiefs blueprint. They built the team from the ground up, and then when it was almost done, went and got Patrick Mahomes. The last piece of the puzzle. Since then, they've been a contender year in and year out.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    No need to force a QB in this year's draft.
    yeah, I wasn't implying they should take a qb this year. I just meant that most years there's a pretty clear best qb available that you'd want to grab with the no. 1 pick if you needed one. You're right. They should have no trouble getting one next year but the 1st year for a qb is often on the bench, although not as much as in the past. It's fun to have someone new to watch, just like it was with Stafford, but I probably won't tune in the Lions for a couple more years anyway.

Same ole Lions!!! Snap their one game winning streak.

LIONS 10
    BRONCOS 38

Can't tame those wild horses.

1-11-1

Fumbles, interceptions, no executions on their plays and Goff goofed.

Thirteen down six to go.

Sell the team Ford family as the Bobby Layne Course Continues.

Is it just me or does Goff have the skinniest legs of any quarterback in the league? He just doesn't seem to have enough strength in his legs to plant and throw passes deep down the field with authority or get away from the rush.

I know some of you are thinking, "Damn, he's blaming the Lions lost on the legs of the quarterback." Hey, sometimes the obvious reasons for the Lions losing get old and tired. Sometimes you have to come up with something different to keep your sanity .

Thirteen down six to go.
    Still hoping for two playoff games?

...Thirteen down six to go...
    Knowing their history, the Lions will blow their chance to draft first.
    Or what's more likely, they will draft two losers in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Knowing their history, the Lions will blow their chance to draft first.
    Or what's more likely, they will draft two losers in the first round.
    So Sewell was a bad pick? I mean, he's grading out as one of the top tackles in the league. Not rookie tackles, but all tackles. Another loser, right?

So Sewell was a bad pick? I mean, he's grading out as one of the top tackles in the league. Not rookie tackles, but all tackles. Another loser, right?
    You're right. Since they moved him back to the right side when Decker came back, he's been a monster. I just wonder who they take with the no 1 pick, Hutchinson?

So Sewell was a bad pick? I mean, he's grading out as one of the top tackles in the league. Not rookie tackles, but all tackles.
    You're right

The ghost of Christmas past, coach of the year 1991

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  73.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The ghost of Christmas past, coach of the year 1991
    Fontes was plagued with leprechauns, sugar plum fairies, or other elusive creatures hiding in his Cadillac.

Fontes was plagued with leprechauns, sugar plum fairies, or other elusive creatures hiding in his Cadillac.
    Laugh all you want, I think he was the best coach the Lions had in my lifetime. As far as I remember he wasn’t charged with anything regarding what was found in his vehicle.

The owner embracing the coach in the locker room like they just won the Superbowl after just a single-win is clear "proof" of the losing culture mentality. The 6o-year winning bar is set sooo-low, will Campbell make it to year #3?

Urban Meyer was let go already with a better record, more with better winning records than the SOL's will follow [[Zimmer, Nagy, Rhule), unfortunately 1-11-1 & the worst NFL record gets winning Superbowl accolades.

The bar is on the ground. . . ...
    Last edited by Smirnoff; December-17-21 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    The owner embracing the coach in the locker room like they just won the Superbowl after just a single-win is clear "proof" of the losing culture mentality. The 6o-year winning bar is set sooo-low, will Cambell make it to year #3?

Urban Meyer was let go already with a better record, more with better winning records than the SOL's will follow [[Zimmer, Nagy, Rhule), unfortunately 1-11-1 & the worst NFL record gets winning Superbowl accolades.

The bar is on the ground. . . ...
    Owner and coach embracing after a long fought battle to get his first win. What, would you rather she slap him in the face instead? Unreal.

The owner and the coach and the fans [[well, most anyways) all understood that this would not be the season to compete for a Super Bowl or even the playoffs. It's a full on rebuild. Why is it that people don't understand that when you are in year 1 of a full on rebuild, the number of wins that season aren't the main point. Yeah, they could have won a couple of the earlier games, but then, guess what would be happening? We'd still have a losing record, we still wouldn't make the playoffs, and we'd be out of the hunt for one of the top two picks that have indications of being franchise players.

And, please, PLEASE don't tell me you're suggesting that Urban Meyer had a more successful 13 game run than Dan Campbell because he had half-a-victory more. Campbell's job this season is to build a foundation that, once more talent arrives, they can build upon to win in future seasons. These guys are playing hard. There hasn't been one single complaint out of the locker room that's been reported. You build that culture now, and keep it in place whilst adding more talent, and that's when the wins will come. Meyer was poisoning everything down in Jacksonville. He was tearing down his coaches. He was insulting players. He called everybody losers [[except himself of course). He kicked the kicker [[not a metaphor). But he's the coach you'd rather have had?

I know fans are jaded. People have the right to be. But every year fans clamor for new ownership. Well, look around. That's what we have. Yes, the last name is still the same but except for that, Shelia is doing exactly the things that fans would have wanted had they actually sold the team to a new owner. They're changing the culture. They're getting involved. They're looking to build a steady winner. They're focusing on analytics. They're striking a balance between giving the players a voice and keeping them disciplined.

You mentioned 60 years. That's fair. But to undo all those mistakes. It's going to take more than a year. And we're in Year 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    ...will Cambell make it to year #3?
    Will he make it to win #3?

JMO....but I had no love for Wayne Fontes. He basically did the same thing we did. He Lit a cigar and watched Barry run. He was good at taking criticism away from his players, but not much else.

Will he make it to win #3?
    I think that’s a real fair question.

And we're in Year 1.
    As I see it, we're in the 58th year of Ford ownership and likely spent 45-50 those years rebuilding. Under that ownership, the Lions have played 12 post season games and won one. They've never even been to the Super Bowl. They've had two 12-year stretches where they did play in the post season. They share the record with the dismal Browns of having an 0-16 season.

I am pretty much done with the Lions as long as the Fords own the team. I have a vague memory of 1957, but I don't expect I'll ever see another championship.

Though the ending might not have been as elaborate, we got another win.

Just in time to lose the first round draft pick...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Though the ending might not have been as elaborate, we got another win.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Just in time to lose the first round draft pick...
    Typical:[[

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast