Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here are some buskers that even Ray1936 would appreciate.

DetroitYES Forums » Chit Chat Room » Music- What are you listening to?

A Little Girl Gives A Coin To A Street Musician And Gets The Best Surprise In Return.

Default Melted my Heart

This is the opposite of busking, but inspiring nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    ... buskers are no different than the captialist pig dog entrepenuer -- both are out husslin' to make a living....
    Well, I don't know about that but one unique characteristic of busking is that the producer and consumer voluntarily participate in the transaction without any middlemen taking a cut of the value.

Middlemen sometimes depict themselves as facilitating a transaction when in reality they're only removing an obstacle that they themselves created. {Think of a toll road pike.} They're not adding any net value but extracting value that would otherwise go to the other, legitimate, participants.

There's something refreshingly honest about busking.

I don't think anyone would call this busking but it illustrates the point:

Detroit woman's food stand sits in front of her home on city's west side

You gotta admire a woman like that.

Last edited by Jimaz; August-18-21 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Well, I don't know about that but one interesting characteristic of busking is that the producer and consumer voluntarily participate in the transaction without any middlemen taking a cut of the value.

Middlemen sometimes depict themselves as facilitating a transaction when in reality they're only removing an obstacle that they themselves created. {Think of a toll road pike.} They're not adding any net value but extracting value that would otherwise go to the other, legitimate, participants.

They had a story on the restaurant lady in the Free Press a few days ago. I hope she has all the proper licenses and stuff so the city doesn't shut her down.

That's exactly what I said Pam; all the news outlets are talking about this woman and if it turns out she doesn't have licenses they're gonna get her shut down and possibly thrown in jail. It's happened in Detroit before. I remember one case off Michigan Ave somewhere where the lady was making Guatemalan food in her kitchen and people were sneaking in to buy it
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    They had a story on the restaurant lady in the Free Press a few days ago. I hope she has all the proper licenses and stuff so the city doesn't shut her down.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That's exactly what I said Pam; all the news outlets are talking about this woman and if it turns out she doesn't have licenses they're gonna get her shut down and possibly thrown in jail. It's happened in Detroit before. I remember one case off Michigan Ave somewhere where the lady was making Guatemalan food in her kitchen and people were sneaking in to buy it
    When Anthony Bourdain did his show from Detroit he stopped and ate in a couple of these front lawn bbq spots. If showing them on national tv didn't get them shut down I guess the city doesn't care. I know these folks are just trying to make a buck but you just can't allow unlicensed food prep.

Well I'm going to hit it before it disappears.

If I recall correctly in the Bourdain show they didn't give the locations. they may have shown pictures of, I think it was a barbecue drum on a lawn and I think it was the Guatemalan food but they did not give addresses or landmarks that were recognizable. At least the city would have had to have done some kind of work to find them. for this more recent lady they may as well have drawn a map
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    When Anthony Bourdain did his show from Detroit he stopped and ate in a couple of these front lawn bbq spots. If showing them on national tv didn't get them shut down I guess the city doesn't care. I know these folks are just trying to make a buck but you just can't allow unlicensed food prep.
    Last edited by jcole; August-18-21 at 07:23 PM.

I remember the blues playing guy who used to play in the alley between the 2 Hudson's buildings on cold or rainy days and on Gratiot next to Hudson's on warm days. Always enjoyed listening to him and even hanging around to hear some of his stories. There was also a tap dancing guy who used to work on State next to Kresge's, over by the Capitol Park bus station, and near Tiger Stadium on game nights. Yes, my age is really showing.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I remember the blues playing guy who used to play in the alley between the 2 Hudson's buildings on cold or rainy days and on Gratiot next to Hudson's on warm days. Always enjoyed listening to him and even hanging around to hear some of his stories. There was also a tap dancing guy who used to work on State next to Kresge's, over by the Capitol Park bus station, and near Tiger Stadium on game nights. Yes, my age is really showing.

Is Robert Bradley the blues player you're thinking of?

https://www.google.com/search?q=robe...dley%20detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Well, I don't know about that but one unique characteristic of busking is that the producer and consumer voluntarily participate in the transaction without any middlemen taking a cut of the value.

Apparently this is becoming a thing again — at least in Canada.

Why Did we make Front Yard Businesses Illegal?

Front yard businesses used to be common all across Vancouver, why did we decide to make them illegal?
    Utica Florist has been attached to a residence for as long as I can remember. The pandemic's Great Resignation might be driving more of this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2