Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Bedrock, desperately trying to fill their empty retail space, decides it would be best to kick out one of their few viable ones, without another place to move to. Yeah, that makes sense.
    Anyone could had made that accusation on Redditt. Bedrock become the scapegoat while the City could had charge so much in some type of tax or something to force Madewell to close it's Detroit location. Madewell was probably profiting more than Detroit is the New Black, Dose, and Krispy Addict. What had happened to the Somerset Collection in the Element Building? I don't see Gilbert luring retail downtown into one of his buildings and then kick that business out in only two years without relocating that business. I can't believe that Hard Rock was priced out of it's location making way for a sweet shop to open in that spot.

Bedrock, desperately trying to fill their empty retail space, decides it would be best to kick out one of their few viable ones, without another place to move to. Yeah, that makes sense.
    Complete strangers making up stuff on the internet?

Shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Anyone could had made that accusation on Redditt. Bedrock become the scapegoat while the City could had charge so much in some type of tax or something to force Madewell to close it's Detroit location. Madewell was probably profiting more than Detroit is the New Black, Dose, and Krispy Addict. What had happened to the Somerset Collection in the Element Building? I don't see Gilbert luring retail downtown into one of his buildings and then kick that business out in only two years without relocating that business. I can't believe that Hard Rock was priced out of it's location making way for a sweet shop to open in that spot.
    So you replace one silly conspiracy theory with a bigger one?
    Excellent.

So you replace one silly conspiracy theory with a bigger one?
    Excellent.
    Why else would a thriving business shut down shop without explanation

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    This all purely speculation, but Apple Store in Downtown Detroit.

This was through reddit [[not a reliable source of course):
    1/24:
    “Apple store announcement coming very soon btw. Heard it from an insider.”

2/21:
    “Was wondering if there was any update on this?”

“Nothing yet but it’s supposedly going to be right near the Shinola hotel.”

From a Daily Detroit podcast on 3/25:
    “The question has been asked for years now.”

“Is if and when Detroit will be ready for an Apple store. And what I’m hearing is that the answer is yes and soon.”

“We saw this sort of exit of the Madewell store on Woodward there and what I’m hearing is that is possibly going to be an Apple store.”

Again they say that this is speculation. Previously Daily Detroit had some inside sources saying that Gucci store was coming to Downtown Detroit [[this was maybe a couple days before Crain’s Detroit reported on this, but couldn’t go into details about it). This time around this is more speculation.
    Speculation in strong. I was told by an employee of one of the stores on Woodward today that Apple had purchased two storefronts on Woodward possibly the former Detroit is the New Black and Madewell and is going to open there. Not edged in stone. No announcements to confirm it

^ Exactly what I thought. Where there's smoke there's usually fire. There's no way all these people just decided to make some shit up lol.

Kinda surprised though, I'd think Apple would wait for a trophy spot at the Hudson Block.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    ^ Exactly what I thought. Where there's smoke there's usually fire. There's no way all these people just decided to make some shit up lol.

Kinda surprised though, I'd think Apple would wait for a trophy spot at the Hudson Block.
    It will take time for the Hudson's Building or spot to be completed. Apple could always relocated to the new spot after construction. Maybe they just want to put their footprint in downtown Detroit especially since office workers are being ordered back to work

Does anyone know if Gucci is still slated to open a store downtown? Target in Midtown? You hear these announcements and then..

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Does anyone know if Gucci is still slated to open a store downtown? Target in Midtown? You hear these announcements and then..
    Gucci is supposed to open this summer and the building Target is going to be in hasn’t even broken ground yet. Both of these were just announced a couple months ago. Be patient.

Also I’m pretty sure Krispy Addicts and Dose were temporary pop ups and were always intended to close after a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    The Gucci announcement was literally just a bit over 2 months ago and they said they're opening summer. Not sure what you're expecting? Should there be weekly updates on the Gucci store?

Target is not coming until the City Club apartments are constructed, that wont be for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    The Gucci announcement was literally just a bit over 2 months ago and they said they're opening summer. Not sure what you're expecting? Should there be weekly updates on the Gucci store?

Target is not coming until the City Club apartments are constructed, that wont be for a few years.
    It's interesting and ass backwards that Target won't be open in Detroit until an unattached condo is constructed. This same thing was tried on Meijer. However, Dennis Archer Jr and company went ahead constructed and opened Rivertown Market after the condo part fell through. Why prolong progress especially if it means jobs and more reasonable retail to shop. I say Target doesn't need a developer to build a condo next to it to thrive. Target could rhruce without it.

In order for Target to open, the building they plan on renting needs to be built.

All of the buildings are built on top of a shared underground parking garage, and they're ready to build everything, so there's no use in phasing construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    In order for Target to open, the building they plan on renting needs to be built.

All of the buildings are built on top of a shared underground parking garage, and they're ready to build everything, so there's no use in phasing construction.
    They had been ready to build everything for 3 years. Please don't blame the pandemic on the stalling

Why prolong progress especially if it means jobs and more reasonable retail to shop. I say Target doesn't need a developer to build a condo next to it to thrive. Target could rhruce without it.
    I like having the Meijer but it absolutely sucks that we missed out on the residential component of that project. Have you seen the commensurate one in Grand Rapids? It's dope and it's honestly embarrassing that we couldn't make that happen here. I would hate to see the same thing go down at Mack/Woodward. For all we know the Target building will open before the Woodward-facing tower opens anyway. Let's get the city planning right.

They had been ready to build everything for 3 years. Please don't blame the pandemic on the stalling
    Have you seen how much construction costs have risen in the last year? Aside from huge increases in materials, skilled labor is both in short supply and way more expensive. Now add rising interest rates.

The project as is was only announced in 2020, with the Target being announced the next year. It is completely different from the original plan.
    Last edited by JonWylie; April-06-22 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    I like having the Meijer but it absolutely sucks that we missed out on the residential component of that project. Have you seen the commensurate one in Grand Rapids? It's dope and it's honestly embarrassing that we couldn't make that happen here. I would hate to see the same thing go down at Mack/Woodward. For all we know the Target building will open before the Woodward-facing tower opens anyway. Let's get the city planning right.
    Yes, I agree it's a shame the Meijer neighborhood market didn't include the proposed residential. Unfortunately, that stretch of Jefferson Ave is simply not as prime real estate as Woodward Ave in Midtown. I'm confident the Target site will be built as mixed use. Just look at all the new residential construction surrounding that area, some of which is extremely prime [[e.g. City Modern).

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Yes, I agree it's a shame the Meijer neighborhood market didn't include the proposed residential. Unfortunately, that stretch of Jefferson Ave is simply not as prime real estate as Woodward Ave in Midtown. I'm confident the Target site will be built as mixed use. Just look at all the new residential construction surrounding that area, some of which is extremely prime [[e.g. City Modern).
    It's a bad idea to have retail on the ground floor of condos. Rivertown Market is doing great as a stand alone structure. I would had placed Target on Woodward in the vacant land just north of Mack so it could stand alone and it would had been operating by the end of the year. Orleans Landing off the Riverfront still have empty storefronts that never been filled since the opening of those condos nearly 10 years ago.

It's a bad idea to have retail on the ground floor of condos.
    I disagree completely. This model is employed everywhere around the country. Why should Detroit be any different? Meijer's Bridge St Market [Grand Rapids] and Capitol Market [Lansing] are vital components of two highly successful mixed use projects that are creating density and promoting spin-off projects. Take a trip to those two neighborhoods and observe the fledgling transformation taking place without the need for strip mall retail and acres of parking. The Target in East Lansing is another exceptional [for Michigan] mixed use project. I hope we don't have to settle at the Woodward Ave. Target site like we did at Rivertown Market. Detroit can have nice things too.
    Last edited by swingline; April-07-22 at 10:42 AM.

I would had placed Target on Woodward in the vacant land just north of Mack so it could stand alone and it would had been operating by the end of the year. Orleans Landing off the Riverfront still have empty storefronts that never been filled since the opening of those condos nearly 10 years ago.
    Woodward north of Mack – you mean the Mid site? I'd rather have the Mid. How about Cass/Davenport the next block west, in that surface parking sea?

Orleans Landing is flimsy.. those buildings look like on-campus college housing, and there's not enough over there of interest to sell to that demo. The commercial spaces will probably get filled when the rest of the riverwalk neighborhood comes along further – the Stone Soap building redevelopment, something on the Dequindre Cut/St.Aubin block on Atwater, maybe that elusive Jefferson Ave street car line if Bedrock is serious about developing the riverfront... but I think its a pretty different circumstance than Target. Woodward deserves the mixed-use density.

It's a bad idea to have retail on the ground floor of condos. Rivertown Market is doing great as a stand alone structure. I would had placed Target on Woodward in the vacant land just north of Mack so it could stand alone and it would had been operating by the end of the year. Orleans Landing off the Riverfront still have empty storefronts that never been filled since the opening of those condos nearly 10 years ago.
    1. what evidence do you have that "It's a bad idea to have retail on the ground floor of condos"?
    2. Meijer may be doing great, I'm sure it is, always looks busy, but that's not the point... The loss is in the missed opportunity to provide more new housing stock to this area of the city. Particularly condos, which brings in people more committed to the area long term than apartment.
    3. You mean build a suburban, 1 story, Target store where The Mid is planned? A ridiculously bad idea, plain and simple.
    4. Orleans landing completed in 2017, so 5 years ago actually, not 10. And if you go take a look most of the retail is occupied or has new "coming soon" banners on the windows.

Looks like signs are up for Sahara Restaurant in the “District Detroit”. Looks like it is going to be next to M Den and across from JoJo’s Shake Bar. This announcement for Sahara in 2018.

Also not sure if this means anything, but saw Premier Pet Supply letters installed on the door entrances of the City Club Apartments [[not sure how recent this was, but probably within this year). On the outside it still says Early 2021.
    Last edited by ShadowSoarer; April-09-22 at 07:43 PM.

It's interesting and ass backwards that Target won't be open in Detroit until an unattached condo is constructed. This same thing was tried on Meijer. However, Dennis Archer Jr and company went ahead constructed and opened Rivertown Market after the condo part fell through. Why prolong progress especially if it means jobs and more reasonable retail to shop. I say Target doesn't need a developer to build a condo next to it to thrive. Target could rhruce without it.
    What is rhruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    What is rhruce?

I believe it's an Asian vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    What is rhruce?
    Typo. I had meant thrived

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast