Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I do get that voting for Proposal P would be like voting for Brexit.

Although it is a well-crafted wish list and I do agree with many if
    not all of the sentiments in it, things are probably not going to go
    as intended once the Proposal passes.

For example, there is a wish list item of having the city repair
    the sidewalks. Most often municipalities require homeowners
    to pay to maintain the sidewalks in front of their homes.
    That's if there even are sidewalks. Many communities
    don't even have them.

On previous occasions, during the housing related recession,
    before the bankruptcy, the city had been contacted about
    sidewalk issues such as blocks lifted by tree roots. The
    expectation and hope was for these blocks to be replaced
    with comparable concrete blocks, or at least have the lifted
    blocks leveled somehow.

The actuality was that if someone came to fix it, a patch of
    asphalt was placed into the lifted section. The end result
    was better than before, but not much. If anything, it
    reduced the curb appeal of that area.

When the DTE contractors came through to replace the gas
    lines to the houses a few years later they were quite generous
    about replacing much of the aging sidewalk with new squares of
    concrete.

However there probably was a vast amount of negative
    feedback about the asphalt sidewalks they had put in before
    that.

I can just see entire blocks of asphalt sidewalks being put in
    as mandated by Proposal P.

But really this is a most excellent wish list item. It would be
    nice to have city workers check every sidewalk twice a year
    and maintain the sidewalks as people would like them to be
    everywhere in the city. They will only probably need to fix
    the severely lifted and badly crumbled ones for everyone to be
    pleased at the result.

Kudos to the charter commissioners for thinking of it.
    Last edited by Dumpling; July-22-21 at 02:01 PM.

[QUOTE=Wesley Mouch;613832]I'm a 'Super Anti-Racist'[QUOTE]
    Ditto, I'm also against discrimination on the basis of race. But being anti-racist entails more than sentiment. It entails action.
    AFAIK, the distinction between not being a racist and being ant-racist is central to CRT.

"IMHO, the reparations task force and 47 more elected politicians will just waste resources and time that would be better utilized if applied toward education or almost anything else. But then I’m not a Detroit resident."

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/28426/meet_detroit_s_new_planning_chief_a_champion_of_co mmunity_engagement_and_underserved_neighborhoods

Maurice Cox, director of the Planning and Development
    Department, built up the planning department from only six
    planners up to thirty six persons, presumably between the
    bankruptcy and 2019. These persons could theoretically
    be reallocated to many of the elected left wing paradise slots
    if Proposal P passes, without making another bankruptcy
    much more likely by having so many more persons on
    the payroll.

This info comes from a Deadline Detroit summary of a
    paywalled Crain's article.
    Last edited by Dumpling; July-23-21 at 12:33 PM.

The proposal was dead on arrival.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/5476937001

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    For the purposes of reparations, how does the city determine if someone is black? Merely by self-identifying? What if you look "white" but claim one or several African ancestors? Do you have to prove that ancestry? Would a certain minimum percentage of African ancestry be required? What methodology for proving your ancestry would be acceptable, and who in city government would approve your method & results?
    Exactly. People in this city can't even manage to get free COVID vaccines, housing and tax assistance, and utility aid. How on earth would, say, a 75-year-old black woman with no internet and house worth $5,000 have the means or ability to research or validate her family's ancestry.

Thank you Detroiters for voting OH HELL NO on Proposal P.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Thank you Detroiters for voting OH HELL NO on Proposal P.
    I agree totally, after living in Detroit for 28 years, I was personally preparing to leave if that Proposal won, there is no way I want my thousands and thousands of tax dollars supporting some of these initiatives, I could just see all of these total incompetents being hired to get their way, not having a clue what is actually legal, competing with each other and literally muddying the waters in this city even worse, I'm not in favor of anyone getting a huge check to buy what they want, beef up the education and opportunity avenue yes...erecting statues of Coleman Young no thanks, so glad most saw through this agenda.

The writers of this proposal should be ashamed of themselves for thinking that Detroiters where going to reward them with full time paid positions and let them dream up what they would actually do once hired.

Bottom line everyone keeps selling the citizens of this city short with either racist stereo types, racist jokes and or piles of criticism. In a roundabout way this charter commission was doing more of the same in attempting to take some citizens tax money for themselves. Well the joke is on the them. Obviously the people in Detroit are a hell of a lot smarter than this commission gave them credit for. The charter commission were the idiots thinking this garbage would fly.

Detroit just said ‘No’ to 47 more elected politicians

Yep. Well stated ADB. There were too many moving parts in this for me - and too many means for moneys to be siphoned off from promises broken, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    ...Bottom line everyone keeps selling the citizens of this city short with either racist stereo types, racist jokes and or piles of criticism. In a roundabout way this charter commission was doing more of the same in attempting to take some citizens tax money for themselves. Well the joke is on the them. Obviously the people in Detroit are a hell of a lot smarter than this commission gave them credit for. The charter commission were the idiots thinking this garbage would fly.

When I first saw this I posted it was a defining moment in history for the city,I still believe it was.

You guys have gone from a broken city and are starting to blossom into a city setting the example fir other cities to follow,if there are moments in pride for making decisions that effects the future of the city for generations to come,this is it.

For what it is worth - Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    When I first saw this I posted it was a defining moment in history for the city,I still believe it was.

You guys have gone from a broken city and are starting to blossom into a city setting the example fir other cities to follow,if there are moments in pride for making decisions that effects the future of the city for generations to come,this is it.

For what it is worth - Well done!
    Thank you Richard for the succinct comment.

Well done!

^ see,even us uneducated folk understand the method to the madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2