Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I'm guessing he did too. No brake lights when he's veering toward the retaining wall. He's lucky to be alive and that goes for other driver too.

I’m going with the front left tire suddenly losing air. That truck easily weighs over 90K pounds, add in momentum of the outside curve, the shifting liquid weight and at 60MPH, all the driver can do is hold on and try to lessen the impact when that happens. Slamming on the brakes won't do anything except flip the trailer and cab. I think he tried to put it on the wall and let friction slow it down.

And there are a couple other small cemeteries there on Livernois that the red line imperils
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Looks good, though you'd need to modify it a bit to avoid going through the middle of White Chapel Cemetery!

Looks good, though you'd need to modify it a bit to avoid going through the middle of White Chapel Cemetery!
    50 or 60 years ago, that was a lot less likely to be of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    50 or 60 years ago, that was a lot less likely to be of issue.
    White Chapel was active back then and used by politically active Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills residents for their family burials..

I have a vague recollection that around 15-20 years ago, MDOT wanted to add an interchange at Long Lake Road, but abandoned the idea when they realized just how much of an issue having to work around the cemetery would be.

Cemeteries are wasted space.

Many have been moved, altered and/or paved over. Others have simply been forgotten and are now so overgrown, they're hard to find.

Cemeteries are wasted space.

Many have been moved, altered and/or paved over. Others have simply been forgotten and are now so overgrown, they're hard to find.
    ... and 2 other have stopped City Airport expansions cold in their tracks... Mt. Olivet and Gethsemane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    White Chapel was active back then and used by politically active Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills residents for their family burials..
    To say nothing of the military burials of the members of the WWI-era Polar Bear Expedition, and the only monument in the country to their campaign.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-17-21 at 03:02 AM.

Oakland County Executive Dave Coulter tours the crash site:

White Chapel Cemetery opened in 1929. On WSU's DTE aerials site, there's a May 1957 photo showing expansion work to enlarge cemetery to its current size. I'd post an excerpt of it but can't figure out at the moment where the image posting option went..

Yes! thanks, forgot I could just include the link.

Thanks for sharing this history H. I am old enough to remember as a kid when the 'Jeffries', as we called it 1-96 came thru the Joy Road/ Grand River area [in the early 70's]. In once case a family members house was just missed [for removal] by one of the service drive placements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Summer of 1959, I worked for the City of Troy as an "engineering aide" getting minumum wage...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-18-21 at 09:49 AM.

^^^ Before the ramp from WB Jeffries to NB Southfield was finished, we used to ride up there on bikes and watch the fireworks downtown. Couldn't see a lot, just the tops of the bigger ones.

Yes! thanks, forgot I could just include the link.

So, are you trying to say that there would have been less of an issue in routing 75 through that area at that time since there would have been no interments affected?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2