Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hello HT! Yes, how true. I was just over there Friday and did 'both' stores. Said to see the mall go down. I grew up with malls, mostly Northland being a west-sider.

I knew it would not be long when Burlington closed due the shooting and then Macy's....
    This isn't a defense of Eastland, but I think Burlington is kind of struggling with its own future and identity.

For a long time, it was literally a coat factory as their old name suggested. You would walk through the door and see nothing but racks of coats wall-to-wall.

But now they've become this TJ Maxx / Marshall's clone, having gotten rid of most of their coat/jacket inventory and having shrunk the sq. ft. of their stores significantly. Thing is, people can just go to TJ Maxx / Marshall's if they want that type of shopping experience.

Burlington used to fill a [[IMO) much needed niche and now has just become yet another generic discount store.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-04-21 at 02:19 PM.

So true 3X. I saw the change of Burlington, as a shopper for over 30 years. One of my best leather coats came from there.

A good coat now, particularly a wool one is better found vintage on eBay or Poshmark online than any store unless you want to pay a small fortune. Indeed, Burly lost their identity and gone down hill. A violent shoot-out resulting in death at their Eastland site sure did not help.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-21 at 09:11 AM.

Good riddance. How many of you have attempted to drive through this area lately? It seems that the city wrote it off years ago...there is absolutely no maintenance being done here, nor has there been for a decade or more. The roads are like those in a bombed-out war zone. There are legit vehicle-sized potholes in dozens of places in the parking lots and service drives. And the surrounding businesses do not give two f's. I tried to go to the adjacent McDonald's last night around 9pm. One of the drive-thrus was broken [[no sign), the curbside pickup signs were missing, and the doorbell that you're supposed to use for in-store service after 8pm was broken. On top of that they got multiple things wrong with my order.

This is one of those areas where hope goes to die. I hope they get it torn down as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Um...no they didn't. Sprawl and being top-heavy did. The malls came after the people moved, not the other way around.
    Quite true, but it is really a distinction without a difference. When Hudson's built Northland they must have realized that it would only take business from downtown. Lots of social and economic forces combined to bring us to this place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2