Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    What ever happened to supporting a person based his Character and Principles.
    Unfortunately, that went out the window for the Republicans with their support in the last two elections of a presidential candidate who has neither. Who somehow though, as we have seen illustrated in the past week, still has that national party behind him even after fomenting an insurrection against our democracy for his personal aggrandizement.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-10-21 at 03:58 PM.

Unfortunately, that went out the window when spoiled children took to the streets, rioting, burning government buildings and civilian property, destroying people's livelihood, then being condoned on public media by their insurgent Democratic generals.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-11-21 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Unfortunately, that went out the window when spoiled children took to the streets, rioting, burning government buildings and civilian property, destroying people's livelihood, then being condoned on public media by their insurgent Democratic generals.
    And the winner is.....Eastside Al.

That takes work, and requires politicians to have some sort of moral compass. It's much easier to demonize and vilify the other side as "evil" or "racist" or "lunatics" or whatever the bad thing of the moment is.

So I'm reading a few folks going back and forth about horrible "Republicans" and horrible "Democrats". That's exactly what's wrong. There are moderates on both sides but they are increasingly the ones ignored by the rhetoric and emotion of the outer margins.

What is James Craig going to do when he runs for Governor of Michigan on a Republican member with a divided Republican Party? He is going to be on the Side of the Republican Party of Donald Trump or The Republican Party of Abraham Lincoln?

It's better that he will become a Democrat rather than choosing sides on the Republican Ticket.

If he runs for Mayor of Detroit as a Republican, he'll lose indefinitely!
    Last edited by Danny; May-12-21 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    So I'm reading a few folks going back and forth about horrible "Republicans" and horrible "Democrats". That's exactly what's wrong. There are moderates on both sides but they are increasingly the ones ignored by the rhetoric and emotion of the outer margins.
    So true. Either your a BLM Antifa thug looting and rioting on one side, or you're a Qanon MAGA thug storming the capitol and chanting about jews on the other.

Truth is most Americans see both extremes as very out of touch and unrepresentative of them on the whole.

Agree. Craig doesn't strike me as the guy who would fly to Florida on a private jet while telling the rest of Michigan to shelter in place.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I agree, he'll be formidable. I've respected him.

My first question though - yes or no, will you support any of the current legislation the GOP is trying to pass through state gov't regarding voter restrictions?

Unless he gives a clear immediate no then I won't consider him.
    Here’s how any honest, open-minded person would answer that question:

“I will not support any legislation that prevents American citizens from voting. I will support legislation that creates a safe and secure voting environment and helps to restore public confidence in our elections. In 2008, when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Indiana’s new voter ID law, the ruling noted that America has a long, well-documented history of election fraud. The court cited the 2005 report of the bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform headed by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James Baker, which said the “electoral system cannot inspire public confidence if no safeguards exist to deter or detect fraud.”

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    Agree. Craig doesn't strike me as the guy who would fly to Florida on a private jet while telling the rest of Michigan to shelter in place.
    She was there to visit her ailing father. Last time I checked, that is a noble cause... and didn't spend a dime of public money. So what was it that she did wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post

Let that happen to one of your parents, and I'd bet you'd be outta here on the first thing smokin.... Oh the hypocracy of you right-wingers....

It's hard to say how it was paid for, now or in the future, when there is no disclosure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    She was there to visit her ailing father. Last time I checked, that is a noble cause... and didn't spend a dime of public money. So what was it that she did wrong?
    It would be considered a Nobel cause IF at the time Florida residents were allowed to visit their ailing fathers and IF at the time Michigan residents were able able to visit their ailing families.

When a governing agency forbids you from doing something,and excludes themselves personally from following the rules they enact,well,some would consider that a not very Nobel way of being Nobel.

The point the poster was trying to make was if Chief Craig was the walk the talk kinda leader then it adds more credibility.

Of course there are some that prefer the dictatorship aspect where the rules do not apply to the rulers.

^ Richard... your timing is off... this is 2021 [not 2020]... anyone in Michigan can visit anyone else [except perhaps hospital restrictions]. And Florida is even less restrictive. So if this were 2nd quarter 2020, you would have a valid point. But it's 2021, and it was a recent trip.

Am I pointing out the obvious that Gretchen’s father was CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield for 18 years? That’s a high 7 figure salary. Long career, big bonuses no doubt. It was highly likely that she or her father paid the 30 to 40K or more charter for the Gulfstream on the Amex black card. The family is well off, very well off. They probably have ‘charter jet’ kind of money laying in the basket on top of the clothes dryer. Trust fund kids sometimes have trouble explaining how their lifestyle is funded to regular people. I would venture to guess that Gretchen has that problem in a big way.

The part that raises eyebrows is who owns the plane.

Is it best practice for a politician to be buzzing about in private corporate jets? Some might view that as a conflict of interest and politicians have lost their positions and indicted on doing things like that.

Some aircraft are actually group owned by several different corporations,even private citizens can get some people together and group buy a plane.

The optics may look bad but some of these groups also allow the charter use of corporate jets when they are not using them to offset the costs.

We do not really know when one takes the nonya approach,but with any politician the public has the right to know if said politician is accepting favors or in this case it may have just been a chartered flight.

With good reason,Detroit is a bit shell shocked,when it comes to full disclosure with politicians,I do not think it is unreasonable for politicians to take that into consideration and offer a bit more explanation.

The scary part would be,if they were not asking for the details.

Did not know that ABetterDetroit... thanks for the heads up!

That must mean that it is her fathers name on the 6 story building in the BCBSM campus in downtown Detroit. Via a Google search... her father was President and CEO of the company for 18 years... from 1988 to 2006.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/33...detroit-mi-usa

I imagine that with her mom passed away [parents were divorced for 40 years]... Gretchen and her 2 siblings will probably inherit a nice chunk of change.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-13-21 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Let that happen to one of your parents, and I'd bet you'd be outta here on the first thing smokin.... Oh the hypocracy of you right-wingers....
    Indeed. When my dad fell ill in Florida, with the condition that he would die from 10 days later, I was on the first plane out of here the next morning. I'm not a rich person to be sure, and the few seats they had left were outrageously priced, but I would have spent every dime I had if necessary. I sure as hell would have taken a private jet asap if I had access to one. After all, I will only ever have one father.

Even if she borrowed a jet, I'm sure some of those 6 men who owned it were friends of her dad; perhaps he was even one of them

That must mean that it is her fathers name on the 6 story building in the BCBSM campus in downtown Detroit. Via a Google search... her father was President and CEO of the company for 18 years... from 1988 to 2006.

I imagine that with her mom passed away [parents were divorced for 40 years]... Gretchen and her 2 siblings will probably inherit a nice chunk of change.

Maybe they should change the law that allows hundreds of millions of donations through PACS before worrying about a plane trip to visit a sick relative.

Wow ! isn't that a coincidence. Is that actually her Father? That info was kept in the back of the cupboard.

It appears my guess was wrong about how the charter was paid for.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...id/5097543001/

Engler got ragged on for driving his own car.

Coleman got ragged on for an armored limo.

Somebody got ragged on for using the state police helicopter.

There are security issues using commercial planes.

Witchmer gets ragged on for a private plan.

So just how are they supposed to get around?

If the Chief wants to move up, let him try for Mayor or County Exec and get a few years under his bullet proof vest first.

No matter what, the last thing we {metro Detroiters} need is the GOP in control of both State Houses and the Governorship, again. Funny how that happens even when Democrats outnumber Republicans in MI, and Democrats collectively get the most votes for Congress.

I have no issues with Whitmer big enough to want to try our chances with total GOP control of the State, again. Especially these days after most of them seem to have gone off the deep end. Even before that, for many decades, the MI GOP has proven they care much more about everyone else except here in Detroit.
    Last edited by bust; May-14-21 at 07:05 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast