Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When we start talking about earlier mayors, and some of the shady [[but legal) laws that they followed, we'll let you know.

But this was about CAY not following the law in regards to historic preservation... which FYI they didn't have in the early 60s.
    We weren't talking about CAY either.

It was one individual who still sees a person who's been dead for nearly 25 years as some type of boogieman that brought him up completely out of context.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-08-21 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    We weren't talking about CAY either.

It was one individual who still sees a person who's been dead for nearly 25 years as some type of boogieman that brought him up completely out of context.
    Um yeah... whatever...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-08-21 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um you mean YOU weren't.... we got off the OPs trolling long ago... do keep up!
    I am keeping up, because now we've moved on to talking about other past mayors of Detroit.

"I just can't believe the yokels you folks put in office after me. Sigh."

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I am keeping up, because now we've moved on to talking about other past mayors of Detroit.
    Um yeah... whatever...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-08-21 at 04:12 PM.

You guys can do this:
    1 - complain to your council person.
    2 - Get your neighborhood Chamber of Commerce [[or whatever it's called) to hire Ex-felons to clean up.
    3 - Send out a call to the neighborhood to clean up every Saturday.
    A lot of that cleanup will be on neighbors because the city doesn't have money nor manpower.
    In Chicago, we have one day of the month when there's Beach cleanup, park clean up, etc. And our local Chamber of Commerce hires ex-felons through Cara to clean up and pickup trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Jerry Cavanaugh wasn't bad, from what I recall.
    Cavanaugh made a big mistake. He said something that was true but was better not said. As the '67 riots were getting worse, he said something to the effect that people were more important than property so he gave orders not to shoot rioters. His comment seemed to be taken as a license to loot. Within hours, looting greatly increased. If he had given that order, he shouldn't have advertised it.

I'm not going to get into the political madness that this thread devolved into [[like all the others inevitably do now) but I will say that since this thread was first published I have paid much more attention to random cars. The OP is absolutely right about random people throwing trash out their vehicle windows. In the last few days I've seen it on Woodward downtown, Gratiot, Mack, and E Warren.

It's not even remotely a big enough problem for me to consider selling my home. But it is a very bad problem.
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; May-10-21 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    ... I will say that since this thread was first published I have paid much more attention to random cars. The OP is absolutely right about random people throwing trash out their vehicle windows. In the last few days I've seen it on Woodward downtown, Gratiot, Mack, and E Warren...
    There are people all over tossing garbage out of their cars. I saw it living in Dearborn, Dearborn Hgts, Lincoln Park, & Hamtramck. Please are either too lazy to through it out at their house or a place with garbage cans or too impatient to wait to drive to get to a garbage can available for public use.

I'm in the city all the time, 2-3 times a week at least. Do I see people throwing trash out of their vehicles when they're moving or parked? Sometimes, but not very often. Is there a lot of trash laying / blowing around the city? The answer is yes there is, no doubt about it. Is there more trash around Detroit then in other major cities? My answer would have to be maybe.

We give a pass to the precursor culprit in the littering problem: the package design industry, driven by marketing and retail shelf appeal.

"Properly" disposing of trash only concentrates plastic in land fills. It hides the problem rather than solving it. And no, "biodegradable" plastic isn't biodegradable any more than "flushable" wipes are flushable.

Marketing is social engineering for the benefit of corporate profits at the expense of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    We give a pass to the precursor culprit in the littering problem: the package design industry, driven by marketing and retail shelf appeal.

"Properly" disposing of trash only concentrates plastic in land fills. It hides the problem rather than solving it. And no, "biodegradable" plastic isn't biodegradable any more than "flushable" wipes are flushable.

Marketing is social engineering for the benefit of corporate profits at the expense of everyone else.
    I don't disagree with the corporate part of your statement, but it does not excuse literally throwing trash out of your car for someone else to deal with. There is no justification for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I don't disagree with the corporate part of your statement, but it does not excuse literally throwing trash out of your car for someone else to deal with. There is no justification for it.
    Agreed.

And the package design industry doesn't need to be excused because, hey, we have scapegoats for that kind of thing.

Boston Market packaged my order in a large kraft paper bag instead of the usual plastic. They're still using plastic clamshells for the food itself but at least they're moving in the right direction. Salute.

And yes, I did properly dispose of that bag, knowing it's truly biodegradable.

Municipalities also need to start supplying trash cans on the corners again, or, better yet, a trash can and recycle bin combo.

Municipalities also need to start supplying trash cans on the corners again, or, better yet, a trash can and recycle bin combo.
    I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that so many Detroiters leave their trash/recycle bins out in front all week long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that so many Detroiters leave their trash/recycle bins out in front all week long.
    No code enforcement by the city.

Do you recall why those were done away with? And so many curbside mail deposit boxes?

Scene from the sitcom "Cheers." Door opens to Sam's office, and in the background you can hear one of the regulars in the bar say, "So, now you're going to tell me that the road runner is the anti-Christ." Kinda where this discussion is going.

My final thought is, was the last straw paper or plastic?

There's a famous, famous video of a sea turtle getting a
    plastic straw extracted from its nostril, and after this was
    posted and went viral, there was a movement to ban
    plastic straws everywhere. So the last straw must have
    been a paper straw at this point?

https://coastwalk.org/coastwalk-cleanup-crew-about/

The California Coastal Cleanup Alliance has "Protect Your
    Happy Place" for a slogan now, but the last time I was
    living there, they had a series of surreal beach creatures
    to be collected, including the "Cig Egret" and the "Spork Crab":

Vintage California Coastal Cleanup Day Spork Crab Poster Painting by California Coastal Commission [[pixels.com)

It's good to hear from people protecting their Happy Places.

Though this is not on topic, Meddle, it breaks my heart to
    see curbside USPS boxes disappear, and the Melvindale Post
    Office desk service go away, and the USPS Dearborn station
    on Ford Road just east of Telegraph go away, my magazines
    not come in the mail for weeks on end, and Sunday mail
    service, or lack thereof, being extended to other days of
    the week for delivery of first class mail. The Dearborn
    Greenfield Avenue Post Office has a large box which used
    to be great for dropping cards and bills off, but lately it has
    been stuffed to its bulging gills when I drive up to it due
    to there being too few drop boxes in other locations now
    perhaps or not enough staff to keep it cleared out perhaps.
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-13-21 at 09:14 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4