Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think that was tried under the Articles of Confederation before we drafted the Constitution. It didn't work well. Nobody wanted to pay, but everyone wanted the services.

Kinda like now.

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    I think that was tried under the Articles of Confederation before we drafted the Constitution. It didn't work well. Nobody wanted to pay, but everyone wanted the services.

Kinda like now.
    Thats too much common sense for Republican's like Bats to see.

ccbatson Guest

Never tried. Here is how it would work...a business owner, or a consumer, would have a tax attached to any interaction to cover the laws and enforcement of them pertaining to the interaction in question. If any party chooses not to pay the tax, then they have no right to the protection of said laws. For basic protection [[against all victim based crimes and invasion from foreign powers) a flat tax would be levied [[and it certainly would not end up being more than 5%... commensurate with the budgets for the military and part of police services)

You mean, rather, "Here is how it would not work..." Utterly infeasible.

ccbatson Guest

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....hope and change [[for real).

That's funny. That's just what the Marxists say...

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Never tried. Here is how it would work...a business owner, or a consumer, would have a tax attached to any interaction to cover the laws and enforcement of them pertaining to the interaction in question. If any party chooses not to pay the tax, then they have no right to the protection of said laws. For basic protection [[against all victim based crimes and invasion from foreign powers) a flat tax would be levied [[and it certainly would not end up being more than 5%... commensurate with the budgets for the military and part of police services)
    What if I object to spending billions on illegal wars for oil? What if I don't want my tax dollars going for this? Do I have a choice?

Blarf Guest

I think all religions are equally stupid. Muslim, Christian, same idea, different fairy tales.

ccbatson Guest

Illegal war? What laws allow for any war/military action as "legal"? Defense and civil law are separate/distinct entities.

Lorax Guest

Unilateralism is what Tush engaged in to make this war happen. Congress did not declare it.

It was illegal from the outset. And it's motives have proven bogus.

Oil grab as well as raping the treasury of monies paid to "rebuild" what we destroyed- just ask Halliburton, Bechtel, KBR, etc.

I don't agree with my tax dollars being spent on illegal activity.

Time for a tax revolt against such Rethuglican predispositions.

Blarf Guest

I don't agree that the invasion was "illegal", but I do agree that the whole premise is centered around oil.

If these middle eastern countries didn't have oil, no one would give a shit about them. Their stupid religious wars could carry on for another 1,000 years and no one would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Their stupid religious wars could carry on for another 1,000 years and no one would notice.
    Psst, don't tell that to the right wing oligarchy that controls the western world...

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I don't agree that the invasion was "illegal", but I do agree that the whole premise is centered around oil.

If these middle eastern countries didn't have oil, no one would give a shit about them. Their stupid religious wars could carry on for another 1,000 years and no one would notice.
    I agree oil was the entire reason, as do the intelligent who listen and learn. However, the war was packaged as a police action and was indeed a war we started [[for oil) and was illegal since it wasn't declared by congress.

Bush did this unilaterally, on his own without the express constitutional approval needed from congress.
    Last edited by Lorax; November-03-09 at 08:01 PM.

All religions are drugs, but a very spiritual addictive drug that could control the human psyche. We need religion to fuel ourselves with faith in God or pagan gods. Over 90% of people are religious and its hard for anyone to erase it from the equation. Even during hard times religions tend to help people when they down on their luck. So religious are here to stay. It exists since the Old Stone Age and its going to exist when humans travel the stars and it will exists until the end times.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I'm addictive to The Father, Son the Holy Ghost. Don't try to deprogram me.

In Memoriam: Neda Soltani

So if you can't afford the tax I guess you're fair game to be shot or run over by anyone.

ccbatson Guest

If it is a tax for arbitrating a contractual arrangement, the amount would be a small fraction of the amount involved in the interaction itself....problem solved, next.

Does this count as religious bias in the movies?

http://scifiwire.com/2009/11/5-best-...012s-direc.php

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I agree oil was the entire reason, as do the intelligent who listen and learn. However, the war was packaged as a police action and was indeed a war we started [[for oil) and was illegal since it wasn't declared by congress.
    War was never declared, but an invasion was authorized by congress or else it wouldn't have happened. It's hard to declare "war" when you really aren't fighting another army.

One of Hillary Clinton's fuck-ups was she voted in favor of the invasion, but than later came out against it.

ccbatson Guest

You have succumbed to the liberal hypocritical criticism after the fact. Very myopic and very wrong. Really quick for the umpteenth time....Sadaam invades Kuwait and threatens to go into Saudi Arabia [[our allies and our interest in terms of affordable energy are under attack). We repel Sadaam and stop short [[mistake in hindsight) via terms of cessation of our military actions. Iraq repeatedly violates said terms including lobbing missiles at another ally, supporting terrorism by paying families of suicide bombers, refuses weapons inspectors, violates no fly zones, and on and on. We go back in.

Lorax Guest

You have succumbed to the liberal hypocritical criticism after the fact. Very myopic and very wrong. Really quick for the umpteenth time....Sadaam invades Kuwait and threatens to go into Saudi Arabia [[our allies and our interest in terms of affordable energy are under attack). We repel Sadaam and stop short [[mistake in hindsight) via terms of cessation of our military actions. Iraq repeatedly violates said terms including lobbing missiles at another ally, supporting terrorism by paying families of suicide bombers, refuses weapons inspectors, violates no fly zones, and on and on. We go back in.
    You have succumbed to the fascist hypocritical criticism after the fact. Very myopic and very wrong.

Really quick for the umpteenth time.....Saddam invades Kuwait when Kuwait refuses to stop slant-drilling into their oil reserves, and colludes with Saudia Arabia to hold down oil prices, bankrupting their economy. He threatens to invade Saudia Arabia- a threat only, and sets his sights on Kuwait as an easier target. No one of any credibility thought Saddam would attempt an invasion of Saudia Arabia.

Saddam never supported terrorist activities within his borders, as he was a secular leader, and crushed any perceived opposition from religious zealots.

Bush orders out the inspectors in preparation for the bombing. Then changes the reasons we went in, destabilizing the region and allowing Iraq to become a haven for terrorist activity, and instead turned Iraq into the biggest gift he could give to Osama Bin Laden, and the Iranians.

ccbatson Guest

Slant drilling is justification to invade a country? Did they appeal to an authority [[ie the UN) before invading? Did they take other measures to defend themselves from this alleged infraction? Even if they did, they risked and received retaliation by the US and coalition forces because this was an assault on our ally and our interests.

Lorax Guest

Slant drilling is justification to invade a country? Did they appeal to an authority [[ie the UN) before invading? Did they take other measures to defend themselves from this alleged infraction? Even if they did, they risked and received retaliation by the US and coalition forces because this was an assault on our ally and our interests.
    As slant drilling was an assault on the sovreignty of Iraq and it's interests.

ccbatson Guest

Maybe...maybe not, the error was in knowingly crossing the line of threatening our interests.

Lorax Guest

No, definitely.

We attacked a sovereign nation that did not attack us, and it was illegal.

Whether or not the Saudis objected to Kuwait being invaded or not, Kuwait needed to stop it's illegal drilling which resulted in destroying Iraq's economy.

Your answer smacks of American Exceptionalism, which is what got us to the point we now find ourselves in.

Blarf Guest

Has there been evidence that Saddam sponsored terrorism?

We sure didn't have a problem with him when we were supplying him with weapons years prior.

Either way it wasn't worth of nation-building. Our country doesn't have money to waste on this bullshit right now. No one is a threat to our oil supply. When they are, we can then bomb the shit out of them.

And the liberals need to stop whining about us drilling here. You all drive cars and use up energy too. Deal with it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast