Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Retroit Guest

Isn't there a law against littering or dumping trash on the island?

Somebody diniterred this months-old thread just to write a grouchy complaint about the last century + of western art? And post a picture of a work that has nothing to do with the subject of the thread to illustrate it? Wow... a little too much time...

Retroit Guest

And someone wasted their precious time to post a grouchy response...to a grouchy response...to a grouchy response...to a...

Isn't that how this internet forum thing works?

"What is art?" is a rich and complex question. If we all really wanted to wrestle, this could be the longest thread on DetroitYes, ... well maybe not longer than the Garwood thread. ;-)

Your photo blog is simply amazing....

Speaking of sculptures, and no I am not part of this project but it looks like a great book project to donate to. I for one would love to read this book about Belle Isle.

https://www.patronicity.com/project/..._photogaphy#!/

Research suggests there are five stages of aesthetic [[appreciation) development. This thread suggests many of the people on this forum are at level 1 or 2!

Descriptions of each stage are provided here:

https://vtshome.org/aesthetic-development/

Gazelle, my butt. Looks like the duct work in my attic.
    Reminds me of the story of an NYC art gallery opening, where patrons were looking at a toilet and several moldy pipes and a tarp in the middle of the gallery. After much ooh's and ahh's, and a positive newspaper review,
    it turned out to be unfinished contractor debris.

Sold for $100,000,000. [[not). Butt cracks not included.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I always liked that sculpture. I think it does quite a good and graceful job of echoing in a modern style the beautiful Marshall Fredricks gazelle sculpture elsewhere on the island.

I was thinking of that sculpture, too, when I read that the OP's piece was supposed to be a gazelle. I think Marshall Fredericks did it much better! For some reason, that gazelle always gives me chills. I have never seen the Detroit version, only the one in Midland in Dow Gardens. Incidentally as a child of about 3 years old, I encountered and was fascinated by the Fredericks sculpture "The Lion and the Mouse" at Eastland Mall. I remember my parents had to drag me away from it kicking and screaming, lol. It was my first encounter with art and touched off a lifelong appreciation for it I think. :-)

Name:  IMG_0549.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  54.6 KB

Gazelle by Marshall Fredericks outside the Belle Isle Conservatory. Photo by moi January 2016

^^^ Awesome photo!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2