Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes, I agree. I also think that mixed in with some of the older architectural buildings in the area a building like this could possibly fit in really well.

Not meaning to threadjack, but I just wanted to "connect the dots"... just a few blocks north of this new development, the move of the David MacKenzie House [[WSU first presidents home) from next to the Hillberry Theatre to its' current spot near the SW corner of the same block was finished 2 year ago [[that's a very large city block).

But what is really exciting is the fact that a huge "WSU Performing Arts" complex is being built onto the back of Hillberry theatre to the tune of $75 million [[increased since this news article). And there are 2 local lady philanthropists who have really helped in this regard.

One is Maggie Allesee, who was the deepest private money patron to the Detroit Opera House 25 years ago. She has spent millions on the WSU School of Dance.

The other more monied philanthropist is Gretchen Vadale [[of the Cartharts Jeans dynasty)... whose family is worth over $1 billion. Gretchen is paying a nice chunk of the Hillberry expansion and the new theatres [[one for Jazz)... and the expanded space will be shared by the Dance School and the musical arts.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/3/28...ng-wayne-state

As for the moving of the 1895 MacKenzie House... here are some images of the 2019 move...

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/4/2/...ate-university

In many ways, the success of Midtown sometimes eclipses what is going on Downtown. The redevelopment/restoration of Midtown greatly helps in the confidence for redevelopment of other areas of the city.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-02-21 at 03:45 AM.

Amazing. I’ve built a number of buildings/homes, but I’ve never figured out how they actually move them. It’s really an art. Especially something that size and of that age, and brick?

I have never understood people who criticize the size of apartments, saying they are waaay to small. They may be small for you, or your lifestyle, but it is pretty proven that there are people in the market who appreciate that kind of space. Square feet are not the be all, end all of real estate. In my experience, the younger folks actually want a smaller house/apartment, as it is less to maintain, furnish and pay utilities on. Location matters more.

I think I saw that construction of Hillberry Theatre has finally started. It's been long delayed so I'm excited to see that. It's indeed a huge chunk of land that's going to get filled up.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    I have never understood people who criticize the size of apartments, saying they are waaay to small. They may be small for you, or your lifestyle, but it is pretty proven that there are people in the market who appreciate that kind of space. Square feet are not the be all, end all of real estate. In my experience, the younger folks actually want a smaller house/apartment, as it is less to maintain, furnish and pay utilities on. Location matters more.
    It's dated suburban baby boomer mentality. How dare they live in anything other than a cheap pulte home! They're out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    It's dated suburban baby boomer mentality. How dare they live in anything other than a cheap pulte home! They're out of touch.
    Not saying that at all. Also, check my history. I'm not a troll.

What I'm saying is that this place is clearly being thrown up quick and built cheap, which means it's not going to hold up well. The demand for tiny is typically income-driven, which means you're going to end up with a lot of students [[who don't care) or a very low bar for renters [[who don't care). Your careful renter types might not mind small, but this place looks cheap. They don't want cheap.

All told, I think the clientele will be hard on this place, and coupled with what appears to be cheap build quality, I don't think it'll hold up.

that new design is objectively a better fit for the neighborhood, but the first has a certain charm that I just love... Its also good they are moving the building to the edge of the lot. If they ever get rid of parking minimums they will have enough room to build a second one next door!

I don't think Midtown has parking minimums? There's a few zone types in the city that do not have minimums. Anybody know exactly what and where? I know the CBD is one of them.

Anyway the zoning overhaul should be adopted later this year, which should get rid of parking minimums in the central city.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2