Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

MikeM, it looks like you help put together a great historical
    thread on the subject.

TWinbrook was also in use in "hamtramck heights" as was TRinity in the area destroyed by PoleTown.
    Last edited by mtm49269; February-28-21 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add info

TUxedo at the Harper Wds, Detroit & Grosse Pte Woods corners. I still remember two other numbers I dialed a lot back then, one LAkeview the other PRescott. Yet I don't remember what I just walked upstairs for 3 minutes ago. Go figure. lol

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Beachwood-45789 or pick up you phone and dial 634-5789.

A song by the Marvelettes. Except it was Beechwood 4-5789.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; February-28-21 at 01:47 PM.

Then there's always 867-5309 or Pennsylvania 6-5000

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Then there's always 867-5309 or Pennsylvania 6-5000
    My landline starts with 867-. Qwest, now Century Link, has retired 867-5309.

My grandparents lived on Woodlawn, south of the City Airport between Erwin and McClellan. Their number was WAlnut 4-3886. My parents number on Waltham, just south of Manning, was LAkeview 6-0628, but we could not view a lake.

I was an LA7 number and was also lakeless over on Maddelein near Kelly
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    My landline starts with 867-. Qwest, now Century Link, has retired 867-5309.

My grandparents lived on Woodlawn, south of the City Airport between Erwin and McClellan. Their number was WAlnut 4-3886. My parents number on Waltham, just south of Manning, was LAkeview 6-0628, but we could not view a lake.

Our number in Lincoln Park started out as ATlantic and 4 digits in 1940. Changed to DUnkirk and 5 digits. Now all digits.

On the eastside, down closer to the river, ours was WAlnut [[92) as well. I remember that Michigan Bell started encouraging folks to use just the numbers in the late '60s, but my mom still always said "WAlnut 2 ...".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^^ Yeah TUxedo was the central office [[located at Mack & Cadieux) for all the Pointes except the Park, and for most eastsiders between I-94 and Mack. There are even 3 streets in St. Clair Shores [[south of the Milk River) that have Tuxedo, most other SCS folks had the PRescott exchange, whose central office is on Gratiot, just north of 11 Mile.

I believe that GPP had a VAlley Exchange... the VAlley Central office is located on St. Jean north of Jefferson in Detroit.

I used to work for Michigan Bell, and remember that the VAlley and TUxedo central offices were the first ones that were computerized.
    I "lived in the Valley", VA-48535 - Jefferson & Alter Road area. Still had the prefix in the late 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    A song by the Marvelettes. Except it was Beechwood 4-5789.
    Very good. Now, do you remember the song that used the second number from my post? A 1965 hit. "pick up the phone and dial 634-5789"

The Wicked Mr. Pickett.

I only lived in Detroit for a few years, but TY8-7100 will be seared into my mind forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    I "lived in the Valley", VA-48535 - Jefferson & Alter Road area. Still had the prefix in the late 60's.
    That was the exchange that my grandparents and most of my relatives who lived in the Jefferson-Chalmers area and the western part of GP Park had. Except my great-grandparents and great aunt on Eastlawn, they had a HIckory number.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The Wicked Mr. Pickett.
    Wilson Pickett was voted into Michigan Rock and Roll Legends Hall of Fame in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    On the eastside, down closer to the river, ours was WAlnut [[92) as well. I remember that Michigan Bell started encouraging folks to use just the numbers in the late '60s, but my mom still always said "WAlnut 2 ...".
    yep lower eastside Walnut x-xxxx. Still remember it like yesterday. Still use it today.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-03-21 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    One of a few previous threads on the topic:

6 Digit Telephone Numbers - What years?
    I just love these old threads !!

I grew up on Sussex near Plymouth & Greenfield on the west side. Our number was VErmont 62365. I’ve forgotten a lot of other phone numbers in my life, but never that one!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That was the exchange that my grandparents and most of my relatives who lived in the Jefferson-Chalmers area and the western part of GP Park had. Except my great-grandparents and great aunt on Eastlawn, they had a HIckory number.
    We had a VAlley phone number in Jeff-Chalmers. But our next door neighbors exchange was EDgewater.

When I grew up in the Wyoming & Schoolcraft area the No. was WEbster5-8307 and later on Penrod in the Joy Southfield area it was LUzon1-9228.

I'd be really interested to learn why each prefix was chosen for each particular exchange, if anyone knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I only lived in Detroit for a few years, but TY8-7100 will be seared into my mind forever.
    By the way, I assumed everyone from Detroit knew this number, from the remodeling king of Detroit that no matter where I moved I still heard his advertisement telling me to call him to remodel the house I didn’t own. Mr. B. 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    By the way, I assumed everyone from Detroit knew this number, from the remodeling king of Detroit that no matter where I moved I still heard his advertisement telling me to call him to remodel the house I didn’t own. Mr. B. 24/7
    We do good work.

https://youtu.be/7W8Rnp3t6uY

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    When I grew up in the Wyoming & Schoolcraft area the No. was WEbster5-8307 and later on Penrod in the Joy Southfield area it was LUzon1-9228.
    Schoolcraft and Meyers here, Birwood, phone no. was WEbster 4-2539. But I spent a lot of time at Schoolcraft and Wyoming waiting for the bus there to take me to Mackenzie H.S.. Ah, those were the days. [[Except in November, December, January, February, and 90 percent of March...for the weather.) Wait....that's nearly the whole year! And all you folks wonder why I moved to Las Vegas, eh? Bwahhhahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I always liked this one -

"Puff the Magic Contractor" Oooh the colors !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ktiBVlgZw

I also have to throw this in [[My ringtone for 8+ years)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrdImfvFmQ
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-04-21 at 07:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast