Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Baked Garlic Bread - Sliced... Where?

Garlic is a big in my household. Love it. Ran across a marked-down loaf of sliced garlic bread at Kroger's or Miejer fresh bread section but can't find it at either store again. Can anyone suggest a bakery that sells it. I'd go today to get a loaf!

That processed frozen boxed-bread stuff just does not quite cut it. Thanks.

I did find this recipe applied to an Italian plain loaf of bread. What must it be like with garlic bread like I found before!?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...-garlic-toast/

Buy a fresh loaf of Italian or French bread and make your own. Butter, olive oil, garlic and basil. I make the whole loaf and because it's just myself and hubby now, I freeze half for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I did find this recipe applied to an Italian plain loaf of bread. What must it be like with garlic bread like I found before!?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...-garlic-toast/
    Yes! You can control the amount of butter and other ingredients. I find the ready made is loaded with too much butter.

Right. I'm finding loaves on Kroger/ Insta-Cart but that has been a complete disaster every time I've tried it. Even pick up they don't have what you want half the time [[even after saying the items for ready for pickup) for speciality items like this..... but maybe I'll try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Buy a fresh loaf of Italian or French bread and make your own. Butter, olive oil, garlic and basil. I make the whole loaf and because it's just myself and hubby now, I freeze half for next time.
    It's probably the easiest thing one can make in their own oven. No reason to buy store made stuff.

Are there NO Italian bakeries left? Is Roma still there? Can't remember where 'there' was now though. Wyoming? Meyers?

Dave picked up a terrific baguette at the Westborn Market in Royal Oak. He made his own garlic butter and toasted up the slices in the oven.

Invite me ova' the next time hubby does those. I'll do a drive by pick-up ----

I'd like some more of the bread from a 'bakery' [[to support that bakery). I can take if from there [[cheesing/ buttering/ toasting). I'm not too interested in bread making from scratch per se...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's probably the easiest thing one can make in their own oven. No reason to buy store made stuff.

^ I would consider the Bakery at Westborn a local bakery. They have only four stores and they make a lot of their own bakery offerings, some of which are "to die for" [[like their Killer Peanut Butter Brownies!). In addition, they carry baked goods from other local bakeries like the Just Delicious Scones & The Royal Treat Tea Room.

Julian Bros on Rochester south of 14; Tringali in Warren on Schoenherr; I think Cantori's on the west side has a bakery.

Are there NO Italian bakeries left? Is Roma still there? Can't remember where 'there' was now though. Wyoming? Meyers?

Giovanni's on Harper near 14, Randazzo's on 16 and Garfield, Bommarito's on Greater Mack, Zerrilli's on Garfield and 18 and as jcole said, Tringali's. All excellent traditional Italian bread.
    Last edited by Maof; February-11-21 at 02:56 PM.

OK, so 'there' is 6412 Schaefer at Paul St. and it looks like they're still in business.

Name:  Roma.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  154.0 KB

)))Triple Hugs[[[[[[

Thank Yah Everyone!

I will start my pursuit [[calling first) tomorrow afternoon.

@Zacha 341..Have you tried Avalon International Breads on Willis?

Cool. I've been away but will scope out their offerings. Thanks.......

I agree with the recipes already provided,
    For bread, in the Detroit Sicilian half of my family, and most often the converts, it was always Bommarito's, seeded.
    Last edited by bust; March-05-21 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Yes! You can control the amount of butter and other ingredients. I find the ready made is loaded with too much butter.
    And not good butter.
    There's a wide range in quality of butter, like olive oil.

Oh, Bommarito Bros. had great cannoli too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I agree with the recipes already provided,
    For bread, in the Detroit Sicilian half of my family, and most often the converts, it was always Bommarito's, seeded.

Had? Wait, HAD?

Only that I haven't been there in a while. I tend to go to Ventimiglia's now. It's closer for me
    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Had? Wait, HAD?

OK, so 'there' is 6412 Schaefer at Paul St. and it looks like they're still in business.

Name:  Roma.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  154.0 KB
    Best pizza rolls ever! .25 ea back in the day after catechism at St. Alphonses.

Sadly they changed hands over 20 years ago and although they still sold some italian items it is now a lebanese bakery.

My weight scale is suffering from all of these lovely options! ------