Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    Went to Union Street Saturday night for a memorial for John Lopez and sort of a goodbye to Union Street. The memorial was moved up. It was originally going to be a month or more later. But moved up in case Union Street closed. As of this weekend no date is set for the closing. The articles reference reconstruction in spring or early summer. As far as Union Street's owner knows, no market has been recruited. She definitely will not be opening another Union Street, nor taking a job in hospitality. Covid's been a trying time for the business and she will focus on her family for now. They had a modified menu. It was a good time to enjoy and reflect.
    Is it still open then? Whenever I drive by it looks closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Yeah liquor stores are really known for their affordable household items and cleaning supplies. Who wrote this horseshit?
    Having been on this site for years, and living where I live and knowing what I know, I've never met Danny but he knows WAY more than you about this town.

It was closed for most of the winter. Saturday the memorial was in the Michigan Room, the main room was open and doing well, with reduced seating. I do get the sense their open days will be spotty. They like other Midtown restaurants seemed to have gone to night hours. Like I mentioned they had a reduced menu.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Having been on this site for years, and living where I live and knowing what I know, I've never met Danny but he knows WAY more than you about this town.
    Relax. He was talking about the journalist who wrote the article that I posted, and not about Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    Relax. He was talking about the journalist who wrote the article that I posted, and not about Danny.
    My apologies then.

I'll leave the link to Union Street here, in case some people want to stop by for a last supper.

http://unionstreetdetroit.com/

Honky Tonk, Great idea. There's been a number of times I knew of a place going away, but did not make it by for the last goodbye. Then other times were very satisfying when I had time to do it. Like making it around the nooks and crannies of Hudson's in it's final weeks, with a late lunch at Aliette's. A GREAT twofer!

Made a reservation and got my Calamari fix at Union Street. The food was still great though the prices have increased somewhat. Had trouble finding the place because of the mall-like appearance that Woodward now has. Even stopped at the dreaded party store a few doors down. The number on Union Street's website went unanswered. Use [313] 831-3965 instead.

Update from Crain's today. Sounds like the owner wants to take the quick cash and run. With offers on the table you can't really blame him.

With this news I would be surprised if the grocery store thing actually comes to be. Fortunately the structure is protected by a historic district so we won't see it torn down for another 5 over 1 residential development.

"Mario Kiezi is asking $7.5 million for the former home of the Union Street Detroit restaurant, which permanently closed over the summer, and the Midtown Liquor & Deli store whose owner Kiezi says is retiring.It is being listed by O'Connor Real Estate based in Detroit.
    Kiezi said that he has been receiving unsolicited offers for the building and decided to hire a broker rather than do an off-market transaction.
    "Developers of all sizes are active and we've had countless people that have reached out to us," Kiezi said.
    He also said that just because he is listing the building doesn't mean that it's "no, siree" to grocery at that spot because in the last few weeks he has toured it with two unnamed regional grocers."

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...ing-75-million

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4