Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This is rehab at its' worst.... total gutting of all of interior, including removal the brick walls separating the different buildings, removal of the 2nd floor [[likely old wooden floors), and especially annihilation of the beautiful historic bar. It's like taking a historic group of buildings and turning it into a big box store. Even the exterior would have no historic look to it... no cornice and painted brick. The only historic look to it at all would be the shape of the 2nd floor windows... period. It would be easier to start from scratch on an empty parcel. This is one project I would not mind falling thru.
    It sounds awful. Like they're gutting everything that's actually important and interesting about those buildings, but using the facade as some sort of historical veneer for their ugly box store.

It's also a real shame to see Union Street go. They have hung on in that location for so long, through thick and often very thin. I remember when they had to have multiple guards in their parking lot back in the bad 'ol days. I had several friends who worked there and frequented the place back in the '80s, and my sister worked there and was eventually a manager for several years. Back when I was hanging out in bars, Union Street and its beautiful bar was a frequent stop. I still stop in there for a little nostalgic sip on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    We can't even get a freaking Target in this area for some reason; no way we're getting a Trader Joe's
    Target and TJs have very different store sizes. That makes TJs much more possible.

Target requires a much larger footprint, and I'm personally not familiar with any 'small' Target stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Target requires a much larger footprint, and I'm personally not familiar with any 'small' Target stores.
    There's going to be one downtown A2 soon - taking over the Urban Outfitter's space below the State Theater: https://www.michigandaily.com/sectio...town-ann-arbor

"Dignity cannot be preserved in alcohol"

That bar also has a hard west side lean to it.

Phenomenal Interior. Great atmosphere.

^ I remember that sign - LOL! Not a big bar person, though I've eaten there alot and noticed how nice the physical bar is/ was. What does a 'west side lean' mean?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-21 at 02:52 PM.

I see no reason at all why they can't keep the bar as some sort of cafe or food area within the grocery store. I also think there's a good chance of that happening if people are vocal about preserving it.

I like that idea.

Seems puzzling. One would think the rents from the three businesses would be plenty. It really sucks to knock out two classic old business, Union Street and the flower shop, [never cared for the liquor store -- attracted too much weirdness] for a likely faceless franchise.

One would think the preservationist would put up a squawk about the loss of the Union Street Art Deco interior. Ah well.

Has anyone heard if Union Street has plans for another location? They always had great food and have a great brand.

^ I hear that. And if they're about the business of tossing-up another ostentatious 'boutique' style grocery store like that expensive Plum store downtown they'll rarely get my business. As it stands I like the drive up Woodward for Trader Joes and Whole Paycheck [[I mean 'Foods') is nearby for the 'few' things I buy there. We shall see.

I was told yesterday that the longtime owner of Union Street died recently. If true, I'm sure that has something to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I was told yesterday that the longtime owner of Union Street died recently. If true, I'm sure that has something to do with this.
    Yeah, there's this. And another main-stay, John Lopez died in early summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Yeah, there's this. And another main-stay, John Lopez died in early summer.
    Can you tell us more about John Lopez? The name rings a bell. Maybe know him.

As to the owner's passing... Haven't been to US in maybe 10 years, but before that I was there at least every couple months for decades. It was always reliable. Never had a bad experience, and often really great. Always knew going there would be fun, and usually did so with group of friends. Doing that for decades is quite a feat. Would like to know more about its history, and whether it remains 'reliable'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Can you tell us more about John Lopez? The name rings a bell. Maybe know him.

As to the owner's passing... Haven't been to US in maybe 10 years, but before that I was there at least every couple months for decades. It was always reliable. Never had a bad experience, and often really great. Always knew going there would be fun, and usually did so with group of friends. Doing that for decades is quite a feat. Would like to know more about its history, and whether it remains 'reliable'.
    I believe John was one of the folks behind Twingos in the early 90s, probably involved with Agave then found his way over to Atlas Global Bistro. He was a recognizable figure, including at Union Street for the last 5 years. I'm sure I'm missing some valuable information here. Stewarts, which predated Agave, was run [[possibly owned) by one of the Stewart brothers, the other, I believe ran [[possibly owned) Union Street. I'm not a restaurant staffer, as they could offer more information. As a frequent patron of that entire Majestic, Union Street, Agave, Atlas, Finney's Pub since high school [[mid 80s), these were the names behind that west side of Woodward. Good times, good times.........

Hamtragedy did a good job summarizing Lopez's restaurant travels. To back up a little that site was Arturo's in the 30s on. It was an Italian restaurant and Arturo may have had a family connection to Mario's and Lelli's. For those of you who frequented US may recall a giant photo of Arturo's when they hosted the Italian Restaurant Owners banquet a classic with everyone in formal attire. In the 60s it became "Mad Anthony's", a nod to Wayne State and the General it's named after. That big green and white sign was also in the entryway.Then in the early 70s Tom Brandel [[Tom's Oyster Bar) bought it and added the woodwork and look, it was a nod to Union Street in San Fran and all the "Fern Bars" of the era. Tom like all his establishments employed musicians there. Greg and Tony two high school buddies bought it in 1985. Eventually Tony got out of the business and Greg had full ownership. He was probably the big influence of the US you know today. He did a massive expansion of the kitchen, added that deco ceiling mentioned in the post, and refreshed the woodwork with the original craftsman, added restrooms to the Michigan room. Ron Stewart, who opened Stewart's down the street, was one of Greg's chef's and Greg was supportive when he went to do his own thing. Greg did die a few years ago and his GM at the time Ginger took ownership. In the early 80s I met a guy there who was still spry and sharp he was well into his 90s and still lived in the same place around 3rd and Willis. He described the vintage version of Union St. with multiple service bars within those walls. He also described all the action walking from downtown to US, lively with a lot of people. In recent years Greg contacted relatives of Arturo [[maybe wife and his kids?) and invited them down for dinner and they described what it was like. At one point there was a stairway that extended from the main dining area to the second floor. At some point the second floor were returned to apts. In early City Directories residents were listed there. The apt stairway access was on Woodward. Greg had talked about reopening the restaurant stairway or activate the upstairs apts, but neither one happened. US also threw great Thanksgiving Day Parade parties for the staff. Many of you may remember Jack, Greg's long time GM, his wife Karen worked at the Florist next door. Jack and Karen opened Caffe Far Bella on Mack in St. Clair Shores....if you live out that way support them, great couple who had a rough business year due to Covid.

Goodness! I'd not thought of Twingo's in ages. Now I am remembering Bert's when he was on Woodward next to the Ponch.

http://diningindetroit.blogspot.com/...g-twingos.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I believe John was one of the folks behind Twingos in the early 90s...

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    Hamtragedy did a good job summarizing Lopez's restaurant travels. To back up a little that site was Arturo's in the 30s on. It was an Italian restaurant and Arturo may have had a family connection to Mario's and Lelli's. For those of you who frequented US may recall a giant photo of Arturo's when they hosted the Italian Restaurant Owners banquet a classic with everyone in formal attire. In the 60s it became "Mad Anthony's", a nod to Wayne State and the General it's named after. That big green and white sign was also in the entryway.Then in the early 70s Tom Brandel [[Tom's Oyster Bar) bought it and added the woodwork and look, it was a nod to Union Street in San Fran and all the "Fern Bars" of the era. Tom like all his establishments employed musicians there. Greg and Tony two high school buddies bought it in 1985. Eventually Tony got out of the business and Greg had full ownership. He was probably the big influence of the US you know today. He did a massive expansion of the kitchen, added that deco ceiling mentioned in the post, and refreshed the woodwork with the original craftsman, added restrooms to the Michigan room. Ron Stewart, who opened Stewart's down the street, was one of Greg's chef's and Greg was supportive when he went to do his own thing. Greg did die a few years ago and his GM at the time Ginger took ownership. In the early 80s I met a guy there who was still spry and sharp he was well into his 90s and still lived in the same place around 3rd and Willis. He described the vintage version of Union St. with multiple service bars within those walls. He also described all the action walking from downtown to US, lively with a lot of people. In recent years Greg contacted relatives of Arturo [[maybe wife and his kids?) and invited them down for dinner and they described what it was like. At one point there was a stairway that extended from the main dining area to the second floor. At some point the second floor were returned to apts. In early City Directories residents were listed there. The apt stairway access was on Woodward. Greg had talked about reopening the restaurant stairway or activate the upstairs apts, but neither one happened. US also threw great Thanksgiving Day Parade parties for the staff. Many of you may remember Jack, Greg's long time GM, his wife Karen worked at the Florist next door. Jack and Karen opened Caffe Far Bella on Mack in St. Clair Shores....if you live out that way support them, great couple who had a rough business year due to Covid.

Thanks for the historic write up. Never had a bad meal there. Best Calimari in town.

There was a Union Street on Mack in Grosse Pointe Park back in the 1980s. Anyone know if it was the same owner?

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    There was a Union Street on Mack in Grosse Pointe Park back in the 1980s. Anyone know if it was the same owner?
    Yes Tom Brandel had one there, he may have rebranded it to his Tom's Oyster Bar or Steamers he owned both and they were about a block away from each other on Mack. The building Steamers was in was owned by Bob Bashara.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    Yes Tom Brandel had one there, he may have rebranded it to his Tom's Oyster Bar or Steamers he owned both and they were about a block away from each other on Mack. The building Steamers was in was owned by Bob Bashara.
    Thanks!

will the liquor store be having a going out of business sale? deep discounts...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    will the liquor store be having a going out of business sale? deep discounts...?

Pay one price, all you can drink!

Thank you for the historic run down. Greg Gedda [[who died a few years ago) was who I remembered at Union Street. My sister worked for him and for Ron Stewart later on. John Lopez was someone all of my family knew back then. I am very sorry to hear of his passing.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-10-21 at 10:04 PM.

Union Street was a go-to hangout when I was attending Wayne State in the late 1990s. Their lobster grilled cheese sandwich, served with a cup of seafood chowder was [[is) the best. Any time my wife and I are in Detroit for an event we include a meal at Union Street.

Edit: Maybe Union Street could relocate? They have a great reputation and a huge following. I knew of a dive bar in DC [[Silver Spring to be exact) that had to close for two years bc of a fire and when they re-opened, their clientele came back like it never even happened.
    Last edited by Pat001; February-15-21 at 07:25 AM.

^ Their seafood chowder was the BEST! Even better than that fancy Fish Market restaurant downtown!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-21 at 05:41 PM.

I am definitely going to miss the jambalaya!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast