Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Union Street is where I have grad party in 2009 after I graduated from Wayne State University. Great times indeed in that place.

DFP reports today that the liquor store will stay after the renovation, or at least that's what the landlord is saying. I could not read the full article and I can't post the link because it is behind the paywall.

So Union Street must go but Midtown Liquor can stay? Weird imho. I literally would cross Woodward to avoid that street corner and all the trouble that comes with it.

OH THANK GOODNESS! We are all so worried about liquor stores vanishing in Detroit!

This shit is a joke right? Some serious IRL trolling?

I took one for the team and subscribed:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ut/6711954002/

Here are some highlights:

"A busy liquor and convenience store in Midtown Detroit that serves many customers of modest financial means will not be pushed out by a planned rehab of its building aimed at attracting a big grocery tenant, according to the building's landlord."

[...]

"Midtown Liquor serves a customer base of neighborhood residents and nearby workers that is different from the target economic demographics of the upscale apartment buildings, trendy restaurants and pour-over coffee shops that have opened near and along Woodward in recent years before the COVID-19 pandemic."

[...]

"It is the only full-line liquor store for many blocks and features a small groceries selection as well as household items and cleaning supplies. The store's deli closed years ago, although it still sells premade sandwiches and frozen foods. Many customers are Black Detroiters, some of whom have frequented the store for years."

[...]

"[The Landlord] emphasized that Midtown Liquor & Deli is not being forced to leave and he is honoring the store's lease, which runs through December 2023. The store can remain open as the exterior facade phase of the rehab project gets underway in late spring or early summer, he said."

So the building owner wants Union Street out but keep the liquor store so that riff-raffs can loiter and beg people for money so they can buy crack!

I say close the liquor store and keep Union Street Open.

More highlights from the article:

"The sidewalk just outside the store, at the corner of Woodward and Willis, also is a gathering spot for street life in the neighborhood where people can stop, rest and chat — and sometimes panhandle — without being hassled."

Just more SJW crap from the Freep.

"You should be very concerned for these poor people. With all the gentrification where can they go to harass women, urinate in public, and beg for money?"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So the building owner wants Union Street out but keep the liquor store so that riff-raffs can loiter and beg people for money so they can buy crack!

I say close the liquor store and keep Union Street Open.
    Something is really wrong with you. I hate to see Union Street go as well, but automatically assuming that the less fortunate are going to buy crack is rude and subjective.

FYI the landlord for Union Street and the Florist for decades is the guy who owns the liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post
    FYI the landlord for Union Street and the Florist for decades is the guy who owns the liquor store.
    That owner should be ashamed of itself of kicking Union Street and Grace Florist out for its kind of gentrification. And just keep the liquor store open and let the mentally ill and panhandlers other loiters begging for money for crack and heroine. That is not a way to revitalize Detroit. Just keeping a small part of the hood intact just like that corner check cashing place on the corner of Woodward Ave. and Peterboro.

BTW Trader Joes franchisees if they want to a market or a restaurant next a liquor store will look at the area before they want to start their business there. I want to Trader Joes and their upstairs restaurant in Birmingham, MI. near Woodward Ave. And it's their spot due to the flow of traffic and high downtown development that looks like mini Chicago with a sprinkle of rich people gobbling up the old bedroom neighborhoods and build their McMansions.

I seen it happen. I even eat there with my former rich friends.
    Last edited by Danny; February-15-21 at 09:08 AM.

Yeah liquor stores are really known for their affordable household items and cleaning supplies. Who wrote this horseshit?

curious. we'll have to see what evolves. by default any of these "still hanging on" places are going to have a built in clientele of local residents, many/most of whom will be of modest or low incomes. All new stores with "different" things to offer get a mixed reception from folks living nearby.

Liquor stores along with bars, for many years are actually being used as social depression stations for the ghettoes of all American Cities meant to oppress the poor leading to violent crimes, suicides and domestic abuse of American families.

Interesting. You never how deep pockets persist re. many commercial buildings in Detroit [[the good ones and the trash). Case in point that ever-closed liquor store at Clairmount and the S Lodge service drive: It's not been open for decades; at one point the back door stood wide open. The building was sealed about three years ago, and now bears a 'For Lease' sign. Why not for sale? Why is it not torn down?

REASON? Because that store property lot hosts one of the largest 'spectacular' sized, over-hang billboards in the city! Prime location viewable from the Lodge N. There are only so many of those extra sized, electric boards [[see link below). The Lottery MEGA MIL games are often displayed on it. The agency that runs that billboard pays a fee to the property owner it sits upon. No wonder the owner is not selling!

He's getting paid [[more than $2 for sure) occupied building or not.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...px8wG3oECCUQAw
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-15-21 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Interesting....
    Wait. Who are you and what did you do with Zacha341?
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-15-21 at 11:49 AM.

Yes SFDS, as the expression goes:

If you don't OWN it, you're just ON it.

Until you're told or over-charged to leave.

Many long-standing businesses downtown learned this the hard way as was also discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Yeah liquor stores are really known for their affordable household items and cleaning supplies. Who wrote this horseshit?
    LMAO I don't know the guy but I have a feeling he doesn't live anywhere near Midtown Liquor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    All new stores with "different" things to offer get a mixed reception from folks living nearby.
    Not always. I'd think everyone agrees that for example Marcus Market is better in every way to what was there before. I was hoping Midtown Liquor would move in that direction. You can be affordable while not being a magnet for weirdos and professional troublemakers.
    Last edited by CR75; February-18-21 at 06:44 AM.

I used to live a few doors down at 122 W. Willis. I'll throw in my two cents... The liquor store did serve a need for quick grab items like laundry detergent, snacks and drinks, and alcohol. All of these things could be included in a new market, however the price point would be significantly higher. I'm okay with Midtown Liquor staying there, as cheap affordable stores are necessary. Not everyone wants to shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes type places. But there were far too many incidents outside the store. If the store remains, I would hope the owner would try to do something to limit the amount of loitering outside. It will directly impact the success of the redevelopment of the rest of the property.

^ Yeah you'd think that would be $$ motive for him to clean up that scene.

In the mean time Meijer's and Walmart are tearing-it-up saleswise for all the booze you want...... Get yo' eggs, bread, specialty cheese, aluminum foil, meat etc., and alcohol sans the flotsam interaction at the sketchy likka' store!

Perhaps in Clarkston or so! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    LMAO I don't know the guy but I have a feeling he doesn't live anywhere near Midtown Liquor

If you want fewer large liquor stores, just repeal most of the liquor sales regulations. Limiting liquor licenses forces larger liquor operations, and makes them very profitable.

Better to have 20 smaller stores all sharing in liquor sales profits rather than one mega liquor store [[and landlord) who are rich and will perpetuate their glorious reign.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I used to live a few doors down at 122 W. Willis. I'll throw in my two cents... The liquor store did serve a need for quick grab items like laundry detergent, snacks and drinks, and alcohol.
    No doubt, we survived on party stores around here for many years before Whole Foods and co, some shadier than others. Midtown Liquor is the worst though in terms of shady-ness imho. By the way they just opened a small convenience store on Cass near the Willis intersection called Midtown Market, about a block away. Doesn't seem like prices for household items/snacks etc are any higher than your average liquor store. Should be a perfectly fine alternative in the neighborhood for those needs in case Midtown Liquor goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Perhaps in Clarkston or so! LOL!
    Literally had to look it up on a map. Dead.

Went to Union Street Saturday night for a memorial for John Lopez and sort of a goodbye to Union Street. The memorial was moved up. It was originally going to be a month or more later. But moved up in case Union Street closed. As of this weekend no date is set for the closing. The articles reference reconstruction in spring or early summer. As far as Union Street's owner knows, no market has been recruited. She definitely will not be opening another Union Street, nor taking a job in hospitality. Covid's been a trying time for the business and she will focus on her family for now. They had a modified menu. It was a good time to enjoy and reflect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast