Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The NFL should be cancelled like ......yada, yada,yada. What amazes me is that all these pro sports athletes are still acquiring zillion dollar contracts with no fan base money coming in at all. Are the owner's pockets really that deep?
    Actually NFL contracts are small compared to the tv money they generate, especially considering they're not guaranteed. Take a look at what the Padres just gave Tatis - 14 yrs./340 million guaranteed and football doesn't have to support minor leagues and pay out millions to int'l kids who seldom make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Ownership of an NFL team almost like a license to print money.
    Agreed, except that Trump somehow managed to lose money in all his sports ventures.

Lions releasing running back Kerryon Johnson [[detroitnews.com)

Our legacy of 2nd round failures continues. It was easy to see his days were numbered last year when he came back trying to run with a full knee brace. I'll give him credit though for his backfield blocking, which improved while he was here. Where would this team be if every time they tried to hit a home run with their 2nd round picks, they drafted a serviceable lineman on either side of the ball ?

I firmly believe that one of the reasons Sewell was so highly regarded by new Lions management is because Taylor Decker isn't. If your Left Tackle needs help blocking half the defensive right ends in the league, you've got a problem. I'm also curious as to how the Lions are going to handle his refusal to get vaccinated. How can you insist on your fans being vaccinated to enter the stadium when your own player won't ? Not exactly a huddle most people would want to be in 30-40 times a game. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I'm also curious as to how the Lions are going to handle his refusal to get vaccinated. How can you insist on your fans being vaccinated to enter the stadium when your own player won't ? Not exactly a huddle most people would want to be in 30-40 times a game. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Not sure if fans will have to be vaccinated. Many teams are looking at non-vaccinated sections, others aren't requiring it at all. Secondly, they played last year without vaccinations so if almost every other player is vaccinated and they continue the same day testing the risk is greatly reduced compared to last season. That said, anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is still an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not sure if fans will have to be vaccinated. Many teams are looking at non-vaccinated sections, others aren't requiring it at all. Secondly, they played last year without vaccinations so if almost every other player is vaccinated and they continue the same day testing the risk is greatly reduced compared to last season. That said, anyone who doesn't get vaccinated is still an idiot.
    The NFL just stuck their nose in for the first time, telling teams they can resume normal meetings and practices if a certain % of players are vaccinated. The Buffalo Bills have already announced a plan for a full stadium, IF you're vaccinated. It remains to be seen how the Lions will handle these issues at Ford Field. Having separate sections would seem to present more problems than insisting everyone be vaccinated. Social distancing, bathrooms, and vending would present a problem, and cost money. We would all be better off if this becomes a moot point by the Fall, but I have my doubts. One thing we know for sure...Ray ain't going to be there !
    Last edited by Bong-Man; May-06-21 at 12:02 PM.

Lions releasing running back Kerryon Johnson [[detroitnews.com)

Our legacy of 2nd round failures continues. It was easy to see his days were numbered last year when he came back trying to run with a full knee brace. I'll give him credit though for his backfield blocking, which improved while he was here. Where would this team be if every time they tried to hit a home run with their 2nd round picks, they drafted a serviceable lineman on either side of the ball ?

I firmly believe that one of the reasons Sewell was so highly regarded by new Lions management is because Taylor Decker isn't.
    I'd be very surprised if this were true. Decker has been an anchor at left tackle. Only in his second year did he struggle a bit, but his rookie year and the last couple of seasons, he's been as solid as anyone. He's definitely better than his two predecessors. Jeff Backus, whose repeated off-the-play holding penalties negated countless big first down plays, or Riley Reiff, who wasn't bad except for the random and unpredictable plays that the switch wouldn't come on, and he would basically stand there allowing the defender to run right past him at the QB. Decker is head and shoulders above those two.

I'm also curious as to how the Lions are going to handle his refusal to get vaccinated.
    So the Lions drafted yet another numbskull. Great...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ohnson-waivers

Eagles add Johnson to their crowded backfield.

It's not easy being a Lion's fan :[[
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-14 112052.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  202.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Let's change that.

2021 PREDICTION: 7-9

Home:

Bears: L

Packers: L

Vikings: L

Cardinals: W

49ers: W

Ravens: L

Bengals: W

Eagles: W

Away:

Bears: L

Packers: L

Vikings: L

Browns: W

Steelers: W

Seahawks: L

Rams: W

Falcons: L

That's better and the Bobby Layne Curse continues. Keep on rebuilding Lions.
    Nah, Bobby Layne Curse is passe.
    I prefer The Assassination Day Disaster. Those who know their Lions history, and other history, know.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Agreed, except that Trump somehow managed to lose money in all his sports ventures.
    Well...consider the source.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...0is%20my%20pet.

Campbell wants to bring a real Lion to Detroit. This guy is a riot...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Campbell wants to bring a real Lion to Detroit. This guy is a riot...
    Should be fun listening to him explain why his tough-as-nails team is 1-6.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. However, I've seen too many shit shows from the Lions over the years to be anything more then that. I like the change in QB. I really think they fleeced the Rams on that Stafford trade.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. However, I've seen too many shit shows from the Lions over the years to be anything more then that. I like the change in QB. I really think they fleeced the Rams on that Stafford trade.
    Agreed. Just for the draft capital alone. I will say I haven't looked forward to the season in recent years, but I'm interested this year to see how this works out with a totally new regime.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-19-21 at 05:16 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4