Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The legislature no longer controls redistricting in Michigan.
    Thanks, I forgot about that. Even though it was the first year I cast a Michigan ballot in decades, and that was the initiative I was most motivated to support.
    Getting old?

Sincere question: How does one accurately measure response rate if you don't already have an accurate count of residents? Shouldn't response rate = responses / residents? Aren't residents the main thing the census is supposed to measure in the first place? Without that, doesn't the numerator lack an accurate denominator?

The Census Bureau in cooperation with the post office and commercial vendors develops a mailing list of all residential structures including those those are vacant or can hardly be occupied. This information, in summary fashion, is conveyed to cities before the census so that the city can update the mailing list if they have convincing evidence that housing units were left off the list such as those competed in March of the census year.
    That list of addresses becomes the denominator for the reported response rate.

After the census information is gathered and the Census Bureau sends out there non-response for follow up interviewers, a revised list is constructed
    which deletes vacant residential units and those determined to be uninhabitable. A revised response rate is calculated as is available from the Census Bureau. There is a challenge in that some people live in
    non-residential locations such as a doctoral student who lives in a storage room at her physics lab or impoverished persons who live in a van parked in a Wal Mart lot. The Census Bureau does has a transient night procedure in which enumerators are sent to homeless shelters and places were there are encampments of the homeless.
    encampments of the homeless. I suspect

Detroit has had so many missed opportunities [[most notably several failed mass transit plans), but it's hard to say when exactly was the point of no return. The extent of the city's depopulation and outright abandonment are such that it's hard to see how it will ever recover in any substantial way [[at least within the foreseeable future), outside the relatively small "greater downtown" area and a few other tiny pockets. Even today, Detroit continues to shed population.

I often consider what the city would be like if the economic expansion in the suburbs during the 1970-1990s had taken place within the city limits. It's a mistaken belief that "Detroit" on a whole was in sharp decline during this period, when in reality it was characterized by uneven development favoring the suburbs at the expense of the city.

Renf, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Detroit has had so many missed opportunities [[most notably several failed mass transit plans), but it's hard to say when exactly was the point of no return. The extent of the city's depopulation and outright abandonment are such that it's hard to see how it will ever recover in any substantial way [[at least within the foreseeable future), outside the relatively small "greater downtown" area and a few other tiny pockets. Even today, Detroit continues to shed population.

I often consider what the city would be like if the economic expansion in the suburbs during the 1970-1990s had taken place within the city limits. It's a mistaken belief that "Detroit" on a whole was in sharp decline during this period, when in reality it was characterized by uneven development favoring the suburbs at the expense of the city.
    I won't speculate about a "point of no return" -- I doubt such a thing exists.
    But I'd say the catalysts of Detroit's abandonment were put into place mid-20th century and were interconnected: government initiatives, tax incentives, the great migration, racism, selfish opportunity, and corporate relocations. Is the closest word to summarize them "economy"? If so it's imperfect. So often [[less lately) that study has not adequately taken into account the myriad of social, political, and psychological motivations at the root of the cultural perceptions that influence "value". Media has a lot to do with it, thus advertising. Which brings us back to those factors I mentioned earlier. They're all highly subjective and quickly change.
    Last edited by bust; January-17-21 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I don't see it so negatively. According to the article, Duggan is saying that the population of Detroit has "increased significantly" since 2010, and wants to get out ahead of an undercount. While I personally doubt the population has increased at all, I think whatever population loss there is [[and has been estimated over the past decade) is a significantly lower percentage than the past several decades.
    Duggan's no idiot. Yes, he has tied his mayoral success to population growth, but he's not about to Trump the place up by espousing a bunch of baseless, unverifiable claims.

I have to believe he's got his hands in a number of data sources that at least support a stop to the population loss. At the very least, I believe that he believes the population has increased. I'm also inclined to believe it as well, based on activity that I see across the city, not just downtown.

At the end of the day, will an undercount hurt us? Yes, a bit. But it's not like we don't get to "keep" the extra people if the census bureau didn't count them correctly. Those extra people are going to spend money, improve the economy, fill city coffers, and contribute to more people on the streets, less crime, better quality of life, etc...eventually, not even a biased census count will be able to miss that. It just sucks that it might take another 10 years...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2