Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    ...To turn off the alerts, simply open the Settings menu, click on ‘System’, and then click on ‘Notifications & Actions’. Select the option that states “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates…” and turn it off. You can also turn off the remaining options to further reduce the chance of seeing the nags in future....
    Well, thank you, jcole! I did that.

I also turned off the "Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows."

It seems to think I'm gleefully wallowing in devices but as I see it, the fewer devices I have to tend, the better.

This still doesn't let Windows off the hook though. These machines were intended to do our bidding, not the other way around.

I just heard a commercial on WWJ that ended with the most obscenely egregious example of fast-talking disclaimers I have ever heard.

These are the equivalent of fine print in contracts. They want credit for disclosing information but want the benefit of concealing that information too. Apparently they can have it both ways in this age of building shrines to corruption.

It's so blatantly deceptive. It sounds like a babbling brook only more forceful, like a child's bubble pipe being blown by an air compressor.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-14-22 at 07:19 PM.

Here's another example of a reaction against technology that tries too hard to help us in evermore annoying ways.

The Anti-Smartphone Revolution

Some might not remember the "dumb terminals" that became popular in the 1970s. A terminal was originally just a keyboard and monitor that connected to a remote mainframe where all the computation was done. As microprocessors became more available, terminal manufacturers began adding them to terminals allowing them to add unnecessary features, justifying price increases. They advertised them as "smart terminals." People rebelled, creating a backlash demand for "dumb terminals."

Funny how history repeats itself repeating itself. < I did that on purpose.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-30-22 at 09:39 PM.

People who do not know the correct use of "then" and "than"

^ Hah! I'm more noticing the misuse of the words 'has' vs. 'have' in conversations.

People that listen to commercials.

Lists of pet peeves.

There, their, they're; here, hear; where, wear; and the beat goes on.
    Oh, and any one who says or writes "I seen it".

One lane barricaded off with orange pylons with absolutely nothing going on.

Today Lake Superior State University released its traditional Banished Words List. Follow the link for rationales.

2023 Banished Words List Press Release

1. GOAT
    2. Inflection point
    3. Quiet quitting
    4. Gaslighting
    5. Moving forward
    6. Amazing
    7. Does that make sense?
    8. Irregardless
    9. Absolutely
    10. It is what it is

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Never cared for Gaslighting. For sure overused. Also overdone IMO is 'Awesome' to describe actions/ activities not always so noteworthy.

More words will be redefined, vetted and eliminated going forth. If the 13 page “Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative” report from Standard University is true it's going to be wild ride: https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/d...rdlanguage.pdf

https://www.thecollegefix.com/stanfo...inst-american/

Words such as Seminal have to go. As defined as leading, groundbreaking. This term reinforces male-dominated language.

OH MY!

See other samples in PDF link.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-23 at 11:58 AM.

Or suburbanites who speak for people in Detroit or conflate Metro Detroit with the City of Detroit.

Or Fords and Chryslers - pluralized - but that's just rust town industrial speak, after all.

Beginning sentences with 'so', 'reaching out', 'leaning in', 'gifting', 'oh my gosh'.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5