Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This image should prove interesting to DYes'ers... the block on Witherell between E. Adams and Madison Ave. only has the [[former) Barden Building on it today. Back in the early 1900s the rest of the block only had small rambling buildings that were eventually torn down, and spent most of the 20th century as parking lots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    In 1955 all of Grand Circus Park was torn up to put the underground garage into. So that "tree-less" W. GCP pic that Dexlin posted likely dates to between 1956-59. In 1959 the David Whitney Building got its' modernization [[which has mercifully been undone a few years ago), and I believe that the Michigan Mutual Building [[formerly Stroh's HQ) was modernized around the same time, since it still shows its' corner towers.

Here is the 1955 "big dig" of GCP...
    Now that I think about it, it probably is all the trees that makes it uninviting. It sounds strange to say a park has too many trees, and it's better once you're in it, but it could do with being more open and letting more sunlight inside.

^^ I believe [[not 100% sure) that they planted Sunburst Locust trees in GCP the most recent time they dug everything up. Those trees are fast growing, but have very small leaves... which allows a lot of light to filter thru to the ground.

Locust trees seem to be one of the trees of choice downtown... but the city keeps replacing them every decade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    In the 90s, I worked at 640 Temple. I had discovered a nice little cafe that I grabbed lunch from a few times a week. It was called Elizabeth Street Cafe.
    That cafe opened in 1987 or '88, I think. Good sandwiches. It was the only place for lunch [[that I recall) around DCL other than the Coney Hut on Adams across from the YMCA.

This image should prove interesting to DYes'ers... the block on Witherell between E. Adams and Madison Ave. only has the [[former) Barden Building on it today. Back in the early 1900s the rest of the block only had small rambling buildings that were eventually torn down, and spent most of the 20th century as parking lots.
    Which direction are we looking, here?

And oh my god do I hate locusts trees and their small leaves. They are chosen as city trees because they are more adaptable to various environments than most smallish-to-medium size trees. But I don't find them beautiful, at all, and if you've ever lived with one in your yard or place of business you know you're cleaning up after them inside well into the winter. Only good thing about them is that at least they are native to North American and not an invasive species in most parts east of the Mississippi.

Dexlin... that would be the East Grand Central Park equivalent to West Grand Central Park's Tuller/UA block. The wedge shaped block bordering on E. Adams to the north and Madison Ave. to the south [[the block just south of Comerica Park touching E. GCP).

As for a Locust tree... I have a 40 ft. tree in my back yard... and I too hate the small leaves that get into the gutters and everywhere else.

Okay, so right across Adams from the stadium. And, of course, it's now a surface parking lot.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  63.6 KB

Last edited by Dexlin; December-30-20 at 06:18 AM.

The area was probably a dump by then: flop houses, rats, trash, opium addicts, jazz musicians, call girls, pool sharks, et al.

My mother worked in the Downtown YWCA building for several years and was a member there for decades. It wasn't all that much from the street, but inside it was a very graceful Albert Kahn building with a lot of art deco-ish touches. The best thing though was the 4th floor pool, with a panoramic view of downtown. I swam there a lot and took my Red Cross lifesaving course there. A number of rooms in the building were used as offices by community and non-profit organizations, like the one my mother helped run. I still have many vivid memories of that building and the people who worked there.

Here it is during its construction in 1928-29, and just before its demolition in 1998.

Both the YMCA and the YMCA became haven for prostitution and crime. The whole area was seedy and very dangerous walking through in the 90s I avoided it at all cost

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The area was probably a dump by then: flop houses, rats, trash, opium addicts, jazz musicians, call girls, pool sharks, et al.
    Oh no, not Jazz!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Both the YMCA and the YMCA became haven for prostitution and crime. The whole area was seedy and very dangerous walking through in the 90s I avoided it at all cost
    The YWCA was never "a haven for prostitution and crime".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2