Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I’m starting to see that finding vegetable seeds might become an issue again this spring. It’s not that there’s a shortage of seeds, but the number of people trying to order seeds has created a backlog due to the number of people looking for them. If you’re planning on a garden, don’t wait too long.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I guess I see light at the end of a really bad year, but I don’t think that’s the popular consensus. With the possible, probable chance of things getting better with a vaccine and warmer weather on the horizon, why aren’t people feeling somewhat more positive about our future.
    I understand all the political divisions and all the hardships we’re having to endure, but, I don’t understand why we’re all fighting about what we all in the long run want to see happen.
    We’re never going to find a way out of this bullshit unless we all take a step back and agree that we’re all in this together and it’s time to move on.
    There are problems on both sides of the fence. Always have been. But having two sides to debate the problems is why we have a great country and a democracy. We need the ability to debate our differences and accept outcomes. There are winners and losers, depending on which way the wind happens to be blowing. We’ve lived with this concept for several centuries. It’s called a democracy, deal with it.
    I’m looking forward to better times. I hope you are too.
    What I was trying to say was, if we could just work somewhat together it would be better for all of us. What’s the option? The road we’re on right now doesn’t look good. We need to end this soon. Life is short. An old guy.

The Grillmaster and I are waiting patiently for the upturn in safety in gathering in numbers, not just for the restaurants and bars and small business to start getting back on their feet, but for the opportunities for live music [[as some of you know, the Grillmaster plays in several bands around Detroit, and other than a handful of outdoor summer gigs in 2020 and some social-distanced videorecording sessions for livestreaming, and a couple social-distanced jam sessions, that's been the extent of his playing in the last 10 months), walking tours [[we had to cancel our entire Preservation Detroit tour season), and the library talks [[not only did I give talks in libraries and other institutions, but I attended several each month; I've explored virtual options, but none have proven to be a possibility yet). We are hoping that there will be ways that summer park concerts and music festivals and walking tours can be held safely this year. And that leads to concerts in theatres and the like. It will take time, we know. Hoping that these types of opportunities can happen sooner than later.

Serious question-

Considering how the media is on a censorship blitz and cancel culture eliminates voices of dissent weeding out everything and anyone that doesn't agree with its narrative. If the economy is in worse shape than we think, why should anyone believe that that same media is going to be revealing the truth about what is actually going on in the financial world if they suppress information about other topics?

I have to say that I’m embarrassed by the media on both sides of the fence right now. I don’t really know what else to say about the subject. I really don’t.
    The original intent of the media was to report and possibly reflect. These are embarrassing times we’re living in.

I have to say that I’m embarrassed by the media on both sides of the fence right now....
    And that two-sided fence is quickly morphing into a one-sided Möbius fence.

Just now on another thread The Sun was referred to as a "less conservative news area" than Fox News as if to offer the alternative side.

Voilà! One side becomes two!

One thing's for certain. There's a whole lot of astroturf on the internet.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-28-21 at 09:21 AM.

^ Got that. At a point what you say is what-you-said. You own it, and it can only be managed, spun, justified so much. Especially as caught on video. Then the argument can and will continue as to where and from that information is presented [[setting aside easily manipulated out-of-context few second 'clips', or short sections pulled from that which a person writes/ post.

Even NPR [[unquestionably not far right is posting news one would think only hold-up on the right wing media wing!). Good times indeed. In the meantime where's that 2K COVID stimulus?! I'm not a martyr that I don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    And that two-sided fence is quickly morphing into a one-sided Möbius .
    Yeah Jimaz I read that sentence and wondered about Mobius, clicked on the link and when the first sentence said a surface with only one side I thought, shit, there goes the afternoon. Interesting, wasn’t familiar with that one.

Yeah Jimaz I read that sentence and wondered about Mobius, clicked on the link and when the first sentence said a surface with only one side I thought, shit, there goes the afternoon. Interesting, wasn’t familiar with that one.
    Yes, it serves well as a political metaphor right now.

If we myopically focus on one part of a Möbius strip, it appears to have two sides. If we pan out to view the entire strip, we see that the two sides are one.

Masters of manipulation might depict their own singular reality as both separate "fair and balanced" realities, with the intent to exclude their opponents from their audience's consideration.

But they're unaware that their excluded opponents represent yet another side to an even larger Möbius strip.

Essentially, their accusations are unwittingly directed at the reflection in their own mirror.

We are all one. *DING!*

You are correct.
    It’s almost like some multi milky way situation that no one could have ever imagined. Also seems like the possible basic platform for M.C. Eschers entire art platform. Sure surprised me.
    Last edited by old guy; January-29-21 at 01:16 AM.

So, moving on, I’m in Wisconsin and I’ve been notified that I’m in the 1-B group which includes,
    People over 65,
    Inmates,
    Mink farmers. Looking forward to meeting some new people. I never really thought that life would get this interesting.

So, one week away from my second shot. Seems strange but I’m actually feeling a bit of anxiety about being able to re-enter society. With spring right around the corner though, I am ready.

So, moving on, I’m in Wisconsin and I’ve been notified that I’m in the 1-B group which includes,
    People over 65,
    Inmates,
    Mink farmers. Looking forward to meeting some new people. I never really thought that life would get this interesting.

Funeral directors and their families also get vaccines in Wisconsin. We can have quite a coming out of Covid party with all the inmates, funeral directors and mink farmers. They all must have stories. Go Badgers!

Apparently minks and ferrets are highly susceptible to Covid 19; there have been 65 mink farms in 4 countries that have had infestations.
    We are one of those countries. I just didn't know that Wisconsin was a hotbed of mink raising.
    So, one week away from my second shot. Seems strange but I’m actually feeling a bit of anxiety about being able to re-enter society. With spring right around the corner though, I am ready.

Excellent. Maybe that’ll be my post pandemic plan. Tooling down the highway in a 65 Caddy, riding shotgun with a gravedigger behind the wheel telling crazy covid stories and a couple of mink farmers I met at the clinic, swilling down good old Potosi beers in the back seat, headed up to the U.P. Good way to lose the anxiety.

I’m open for other post pandemic options.

old guy, With passed around plastic bags of squeaky curds spilling all over your car seats your crew of 1-B survivors should head to House on the Rock where even the old gods meet. Save the U.P. for the week after tourist season when you can have a half a mile of stony beach for yourself.

My more subdued plan is to ease into real life again. The Hollander restaurant in Madison has a lovely outdoor cafe area and beer selection. It's like a Disney version of the Cadieux Cafe. No need to rush indoors right away.
    Last edited by oladub; March-02-21 at 01:59 AM.

Yes, it will be a while before I sit down in a restaurant, indoors anyway. Hope for good weather and some outdoor dining.

I worked as a technical director at a classical repertoire theatre near the House on the Rock in the 80’s. My wife, at the time worked at a restaurant in the area. The guy that built the House on the Rock used to dine at that restaurant. He’d come in and order a steak. They’d ask him how he would like it and he’d tell them, room temperature. He was a bit peculiar.

Governor Whitmer announced 50% capacity now for restaurants. This will greatly help restaurants try to hang on towards a post-pandemic restaurant. I was never much into buffets. That is was always a germ ridden setting.

So, I got my second shot and my anxiety is gone. I’m lucky in that I have five close friends that have all made it through this and want to get together in another week or so and play poker. We’ve been doing this for the last 40 or so years.
    I have to say that I hope I understand people of all ages and all the problems that everyone have endured. I think I’ve probably been extremely lucky being the age I am and in the situation that I’m in. I’ve tried to imagine how I would have reacted to all of this at different ages, how I would have reacted to what I was told to do, what I would have done and how I would have dealt with all of this. It’s impossible for me to view this from any situation other than my own.
    I really hope we can all work together to some extent coming out of this and realize how hard it’s going to be for some people. I hope things get better soon, for everyone. I also realize that’s probably unrealistic. Hope we can end this thread soon and move on to other things.
    Last edited by old guy; March-13-21 at 01:54 AM.

Just maybe!Attachment 41395

Do not let the fear of dying prevent you from living.

Here we had the strawberry festival,boat shows,flea markets,full restaurant and night club facilities,upcoming Gran Prix,spring break etc and life has carried on as always with fewer cases and even reduced cases,not related to the shot, then other states still living in a mode of restriction.

All of that is supported by one of the largest retirement age groups in the country.

With all of that foot loose and fancy free,we should have the largest skyrocketing cases in the world,but it’s not.

Maybe it does boil down to perspective and how far one is really willing to go in allowing others to determine how they will live their life.
    Last edited by Richard; March-13-21 at 09:18 AM.

Well Richard, you are fortunate enough to live in a state where winter isn't severe and doesn't require you to remain inside. All the pleasantries you talk about... strawberry festival,boat shows,flea markets,full restaurant and night club facilities,upcoming Gran Prix,spring break... are only available to us in Michigan about 1/3 of the time as they are to you in Florida.

With 535,000 deaths, we're the pandemic death world leader, there's no sugar coating that. I know several people who let their guard down... and they're dead. I know other people that still haven't got their sense of taste or smell back.

Ignore the problem... and people do so at their own peril. Maybe if they had some deaths among their friends or family, they might feel more concerned.

It's like the lottery... you win sometimes... and other times you lose... except here sometimes it's more like playing Russian roulette.

Last edited by Gistok; March-13-21 at 03:16 PM.

Oh my... Italy is shutting down again...
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/13/europ...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well Richard, you are fortunate enough to live in a state where winter isn't severe and doesn't require you to remain inside. All the pleasantries you talk about... strawberry festival,boat shows,flea markets,full restaurant and night club facilities,upcoming Gran Prix,spring break... are only available to us in Michigan about 1/3 of the time as they are to you in Florida.

With 535,000 deaths, we're the pandemic death world leader, there's no sugar coating that. I know several people who let their guard down... and they're dead. I know other people that still haven't got their sense of taste or smell back.

Ignore the problem... and people do so at their own peril. Maybe if they had some deaths among their friends or family, they might feel more concerned.

It's like the lottery... you win sometimes... and other times you lose... except here sometimes it's more like playing Russian roulette.

After entering Italy, coronavirus [[COVID-19) has been spreading fast. An analysis of the individuals who died after contracting the virus revealed that the vast majority of deaths occurred among the elderly. Of the 97 thousand coronavirus deaths subject of this study, more than 86 percent were patients aged 70 years and older.

Italy's death toll was one of the most tragic in the world

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...gion-in-italy/

The one common denominator in the world is the city’s,states and counties that mixed the elderly with the infected it was a death sentence.

Did you read that,86% of the deaths in Italy,who has the highest death rate in the world was 70 years and older.

Not to mention there are hundreds of small villages in Italy where the majority of the younger generation has left and 80% of the remaining residents are age 70 and up with the nearest hospital being over 100 miles away.

Nursing homes in Italy that took back infectious residents are now being charged with manslaughter.

It does not matter what region you are in,the numbers show the age group that is the most vulnerable is consistently the same with that majority of deaths being in that age group.

If we in Florida are able to be outside more and that is the reason for less cases,should we not be having massive case counts compared to places on lockdown?

610,000 die from cancer every year,my sister and I are the only ones left out of a family of 8,everybody else died from a multitude of reasons,to say unless you are impacted by a death from corona they would be more concerned is a bit off.

There is no person on earth that has not experienced a death in their family,it is a part of life.

They say math does not lie,read the numbers and then decide.

Look at the bright side,this year 60,000 to 80,000 American lives were saved because the flu disappeared.

Remember when all of this first started and everybody laughed at the concept of herd immunity?

Now we hear the goal is to have herd immunity by May.

If Florida has not been on strict lockdowns and did not send the infected elderly back into the nursing homes and continues to see lower death rates when compared to other cities and states on strict lockdowns,do you think the answer is to lockdown and to restrict movement?

Two things you cannot debate in relation to deaths.

The majority are elderly.

The highest death rates with the infected is directly related to the level of healthcare received.

When you look at the death clusters across the world including the United States the majority are not within the private healthcare sector.

You cannot stop the virus,you guys already laughed at the concept of it going away,so you can lock down until the cows come home and it still will be there waiting for you to pop your head up.

You can live your life and face it while doing what it takes to protect yourself in the meantime.

But dyeing alone in a hospital bed or nursing home while under quarantine without being able to say goodbye to your family,is not living life.

You play the lottery with your life with every breath you take,there is no guarantee that you will live from on second to the next,but if you are not living life,you are already dead.

According to the CDC data, heart disease has killed 661,000 people in 2020, cancer has killed 580,000, and COVID-19 has killed 312,000.

If you really want to get depressed,check out the suicide rates.
    Last edited by Richard; March-14-21 at 12:08 AM.

Well anyway, I’m starting to feel like maybe a large number of things that have occurred over the last twelve months or so have been heading in the right direction and we’re on our way to better times.
    I’m not your average feel good type person but I’d prefer to just turn a quick corner on this one.
    Let’s move on. Drop all the baggage. At least attempt to get along and agree that things have gotten out of control and if we can reign things in a bit, find some mediums, why not.

This who’s right, who’s wrong crap is getting so old and it just chews us all up, wtf.
    See you on the other side.
    Attachment 41402
    Hey, why not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast