Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Loui’s Pizza in Hazel Park. According to legend Loui was working at Buddy’s when he came up with the layer inversion and parts trays.

Of course the guys at Cloverleaf say the same thing.
    Buddy's acknowledges on their menu that Gus Guerra from Cloverleaf originated their recipe.

The secret with Buddy's pizza and the spinoffs back in the 1960-70's was that the pepperoni went UNDER the cheese.

Name:  buddys [[3).jpg
Views: 677
Size:  84.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The secret with Buddy's pizza and the spinoffs back in the 1960-70's was that the pepperoni went UNDER the cheese.
    I'm pretty sure Club 500 did this too. And the ham, etc..
    Can anyone confirm it?
    Failing memory: now I really feel old.
    But I'll bet I can map out the floorplan without being off by much, describe their most prominent photo they hung on their walls [[easy), and identify their video games I spent many a quarter playing.
    Last edited by bust; December-27-20 at 05:06 PM.

Detroit Style is a variation of a Sicilian Square Pizza. I ate them at both original Buddy's and Shield's locations, Cal's, and Cloverleaf. Even had my wedding rehearsal dinner at Cloverleaf in '86. Little such luck in South Florida; nearest Jet's is a 15 minute one way drive, and I'm too far away for delivery. BUT, when you gotta have it, ya gotta have it.
    Check out the link, tons of info, recipes etc; message board has a huge thread on Sicilian/Detroit style:
    http://www.pizzamaking.com

Personal opinion: there's no such thing as one Detroit pizza, any more than there's one NY accent -- just some that were more popularized / recognized than others. Detroit became home to all kinds of Italians, Sicilians, even Albanians, etc. who each brought their different variations.

Realize I'm stepping on a potential tripwire here, so I concede the iron tray was a distinct Detroit contribution. Just not a universal, nor the only one.

Cal's did make great pizza. So did Club 500.
    Last edited by bust; April-30-21 at 08:14 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3