Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Meanwhile Franklin Perez is on the DL again with a shoulder capsule defect, whatever that is. The Tigers have been trying for 3 years to diagnose Perez's shoulder problems and the word defect is often used medically to describe something genetic, so maybe they should have found this during the physical at the time of the trade. Oh yeah, another flop in the trade, Daz Cameron, is also back of the DL with a broken wrist. At least Verlander isn't pitching this year, that helps even it out, right?

My son's 11 and I like telling him about the Golden Age of sports around here, that lasted from 1984-2009. I've been telling him for the last year or so that all our teams are bad but that in a few years you could have three of four on top. The odd team out has gone from the Lions to the Tigers. They are five years into this rebuild and they have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Detroit Tigers' Spencer Turnbull no-hits Seattle Mariners [[detroitnews.com)

Congrats to Justin. Figures that after suffering through such lousy games all season, this would happen long after I went to bed.

Tigers are quietly 7-3 in their last 10 games. Savor it while you can!

Justin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Detroit Tigers' Spencer Turnbull no-hits Seattle Mariners [[detroitnews.com)

Congrats to Justin. Figures that after suffering through such lousy games all season, this would happen long after I went to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Justin?
    lol....early morning Freudian slip ?

I wish he was back too
    lol....early morning Freudian slip ?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I wish he was back too
    Well you'd be paying him 33 million not to play this year. Oh I get it, it's so Miggy wouldn't feel so guilty.

I wouldn't be paying him anything; I just happen to think he was a great pitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Well you'd be paying him 33 million not to play this year. Oh I get it, it's so Miggy wouldn't feel so guilty.

A no-hitter, a grand slam, and a new viable closer. Suddenly things don't look quite so bleak. Our young pitchers are stepping up and learning quickly. Trade an arm for an every day player or two, a free agent signing this Winter, and next year we may actually have a chance to be competitive. Dare I dream on a Saturday morning ?

11. Default

A no-hitter, a grand slam, and a new viable closer. Suddenly things don't look quite so bleak. Our young pitchers are stepping up and learning quickly. Trade an arm for an every day player or two, a free agent signing this Winter, and next year we may actually have a chance to be competitive. Dare I dream on a Saturday morning ?
    Why do I see Lucy holding the football for Charley Brown to kick when I read this?

But it is fun to watch when the young guns gun fire and the old lion, Miggy, roars like he did in the old days and takes over a game.

I'm not as optimistic. Yet. For me the problem is that outside of Riley Greene and Spencer Torkleson, they don't have any noteworthy hitters to speak of in the minor system. It really seems that beyond the obvious first round players, the cupboard is still pretty bare as far as prospects. It seems like when you look at recent teams that have built from the ground up to turn into winners [[Cubs, Astros), that they get 2-4 players per draft during the years when they bottoming out. If we're getting half that, it might be good enough to get us to 70 or 75 wins per year, but I don't think they have enough of a pipeline to go beyond that. Add to that the facts that Avila is not what anyone would consider a top-tier GM and that Chris Illitch already has a reputation of being a cheapskate, and I don't see as much hope as I see with our three other professional teams that I think all have a path to things around in the next 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I'm not as optimistic. Yet. For me the problem is that outside of Riley Greene and Spencer Torkleson, they don't have any noteworthy hitters to speak of in the minor system. It really seems that beyond the obvious first round players, the cupboard is still pretty bare as far as prospects. It seems like when you look at recent teams that have built from the ground up to turn into winners [[Cubs, Astros), that they get 2-4 players per draft during the years when they bottoming out. If we're getting half that, it might be good enough to get us to 70 or 75 wins per year, but I don't think they have enough of a pipeline to go beyond that. Add to that the facts that Avila is not what anyone would consider a top-tier GM and that Chris Illitch already has a reputation of being a cheapskate, and I don't see as much hope as I see with our three other professional teams that I think all have a path to things around in the next 2-3 years.
    I generally agree. Teams are built through a combination of the draft, international signings, trades and free agent signings. Last year's draft of position players is very promising with guys like Dingler, Cabrera, Workman, etc. but previous drafts from Stewart to Parker Meadows have been complete busts. They need to hope Boyd and Fulmer don't turn into pumpkins before the break again and trade them for position players. They desperately need to sign one of the top free agent shortstops available this off-season to anchor the defense. Willi Castro looked promising but his defense has been even worse than his hitting slump. The Rays just traded former Tiger prospect, shortstop Willy Adames, for two average relievers. This is the kind of deal Avila should be making. There are some very promising int'l league players in the pipeline as well but the whole rebuild is 2-3 years behind and Avila hasn't demonstrated anything beyond the ability to draft no. 1 picks, which anyone can do.
    Last edited by 401don; May-24-21 at 07:28 AM.

What’s going on? A seven game win streak? Only five games under .500? An exciting team that leads the league in stolen bases? And a pipeline loaded with rising young talent. Is it too early to say tipping point?

Not at all. Too many people were over-analyzing the situation. Two years ago there was no reason to watch this team. They were as far from entertaining as a baseball team could be. Watching young pitchers with potential learning their craft is much more entertaining than suffering through Jordan Zimmerman playing out his contract. We were the Texas Rangers.

As pointed out by others, championship teams are built with pitching and defense up the middle. We're a work in progress up the middle, and that's okay for now. An abundance of young pitchers is a commodity that can be traded for other things. Patience ! This last draft might be the most important of all down the road, because hopefully we aren't going to be in that position again for a while.

I wasn't sold on our new manager when he was hired, but he's done a good job regardless of past sins. The players have bought in, and that's always the hardest part. The clubhouse is relaxed and focused. His hiring might have been Avila's best off-season move.

Some talking heads are worried that Chris Ilitch won't spend when the time comes, and I disagree with that. He won't be as free spending as Dad, but it's already proven the best business model for the Tigers and Comerica Park is to fill the seats. Put a good product on the field and we will come.

Tarik Skubal must have every GM in baseball drooling. Stay healthy young man !

RIP Bill Freehan. As far as I'm concerned one of the most under-rated players to ever wear the English D. A 15 year career with 11 All-Star appearances. My condolences to his family, as he suffered from dementia for a number of years.

RIP Bill Freehan. As far as I'm concerned one of the most under-rated players to ever wear the English D. A 15 year career with 11 All-Star appearances. My condolences to his family, as he suffered from dementia for a number of years.
    One of the all-time great catchers and my 1st favorite Tiger as a kid. I just read that in 68 Freehan was 2nd to McLain in the MVP voting. I didn't know that. When else have 2 battery mates finished 1 & 2 in the voting?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    One of the all-time great catchers and my 1st favorite Tiger as a kid. I just read that in 68 Freehan was 2nd to McLain in the MVP voting. I didn't know that. When else have 2 battery mates finished 1 & 2 in the voting?
    Good call. I can't remember that happening either. He was one of the best catchers of his era. Had a career B.A. of .282, went to 7 straight AS games between 66-72. He has better stats than some other catchers who are in. HOF worthy if you ask me along with Sweet Lou who also has suffered that injustice.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-20-21 at 12:21 PM.

RIP Bill Freehan indeed. What a great quiet piece of that team. Looking up his stats I see he finished second to Denny McLain for MVP in '68. Something I never realized but certainly deserved.

As for the Tigers, I think I just saw one of the worst games they ever played followed by one of the best games they ever played. The first was Thursday's choking of a 10-2 lead in the 6th inning to a non-contender, with lazy fielding, bad management, and bullpen collapse to end up losing 13-10.

The second was last night's extra-inning win over a contender with some of the best fielding, small ball, managerial calls, and excellent bullpen closing.

The first I attribute somewhat to AJ Hinch's getting tossed, Lombard taking his place, and the team falling asleep. Nice to see them put that disaster behind them and bounce back.

You heard it hear first -

Detroit Tigers World Series bound within 5 years, if not sooner.

JV will be back next year, along with some surprising additions.

Next year is a long shot but look at what they have been able to do with a decimated lineup and barely any pitching.

2023 ---> is going to be a good time to be a Tiger fan

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

Let's see.....I was born in 1936, so I'm what? Eighty something? I don't even worry about what might happen at midnight, so you guys have fun in 2023 and raise a glass for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    You heard it hear first -

Detroit Tigers World Series bound within 5 years, if not sooner.

JV will be back next year, along with some surprising additions.

Next year is a long shot but look at what they have been able to do with a decimated lineup and barely any pitching.

The leading rumor is a marquee free agent shortstop signing. It would solve a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The leading rumor is a marquee free agent shortstop signing. It would solve a big problem.
    For sure. Been hearing Carlos Correa's name floating around...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    For sure. Been hearing Carlos Correa's name floating around...
    Hopefully not Correa. He already turned down 125 million and wants 200 million +. We don't need another albatross contract. I would rather they give Semien 3-4 years. In the meantime if another shortstop like Kreidler or Workman is ready in 2 years Semien has already shown he's willing to move to 2nd or 3rd.
    Last edited by 401don; August-26-21 at 05:37 PM.

" He already turned down 125 million and wants 200 million:"

I wonder when the first billion dollar contract will be signed. Fortunately, none of that money comes from me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast