Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the Pistons are a significantly more interesting and enjoyable team to watch this year. They've been keeping it close for a while but falling apart at the end. Hopefully when they become a more cohesive unit they'll start winning some games.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think the Pistons are a significantly more interesting and enjoyable team to watch this year. They've been keeping it close for a while but falling apart at the end. Hopefully when they become a more cohesive unit they'll start winning some games.
    Last night was a really good effort all around with Griffin & Rose on the bench. They were much more active both passing and in transition. There's just too much standing around when Griffin or Rose have the ball. Maybe the young guys are deferring to the vets also until they get more confident. Their shooting is really weak however and they won't win many close games. My biggest concern is Hayes. He's not real quick and his shooting, both outside and finishing at the rim, is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Last night was a really good effort all around with Griffin & Rose on the bench. They were much more active both passing and in transition. There's just too much standing around when Griffin or Rose have the ball. Maybe the young guys are deferring to the vets also until they get more confident. Their shooting is really weak however and they won't win many close games. My biggest concern is Hayes. He's not real quick and his shooting, both outside and finishing at the rim, is bad.
    Yeah but his size at the point [[6'7) is a huge plus. Have to remember he's still a kid [[19). I like what I see, he has a feel for the game, and Casey says his IQ is off the charts. He'll cut down on his turnovers, and his shot will come around eventually [[Hope he's no Ben Simmons) Have to be patient with all the youngsters on this team. The guy who could be a real steal, is Josh Jackson.

I'm going to go all in for Troy Weaver now. I think I like the changes he's made. This team just seems more fun to watch this year and I'm not expecting miracles. However, if they don't start to win a couple of games here and there, the bloom is going to come off the rose soon.

New squad but still ball hogging. That is the mean reason The Pistons can't win games.

Oy vey, that rookie, Mr. Hayes seems to have incurred a serious hip injury. He could be out for a while, maybe he could get back in the spring in time for that long playoff run that’s coming.

Oy vey, that rookie, Mr. Hayes seems to have incurred a serious hip injury. He could be out for a while, maybe he could get back in the spring in time for that long playoff run that’s coming.
    A torn hip labrum [[whatever that is). They say it could heal on it's own, or he could need surgery. In any event, looking at being down at least 6 weeks. Tough luck for the rook.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    A torn hip labrum [[whatever that is). They say it could heal on it's own, or he could need surgery. In any event, looking at being down at least 6 weeks. Tough luck for the rook.
    Yeah that was pretty weird. He's just running back to chase down a guy and tears it. I've seen non-contact injuries before but it's usually a pulled muscle or even a torn achilles but not a hip injury.
    Last edited by 401don; January-06-21 at 06:41 PM.

Pistons have announced Griffin will sit until he's moved or possibly bought out prior to the trade deadline, which is still a month away. This is pretty unusual. Griffin is in agreement with the move. There was a rumor Pistons would actually give Miami one of their 1st round picks in 2022 or 23 to get them to take Griffin. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. The 2nd ugliest contract belongs to Drummond, who Cleveland is trying desperately to move. Gores was never cheap, just dumb. Meanwhile the young core is looking very good lately. With the Pistons luck they'll win just enough to miss the lottery.

The whole Griffin move was ridiculous in the first place. Gores thought that Griffin would be the missing piece, when all it did was set the team back by years. SVG must have been OK with it, which just illustrates how he wasn't suited for the front office. Hopefully Gores has learned to keep his nose out of all that, and hopefully Weaver has the guts to stand up to him [[and walk) if Gores tries to interfere with what he's building.

Pistons have announced Griffin will sit until he's moved or possibly bought out prior to the trade deadline, which is still a month away. This is pretty unusual. Griffin is in agreement with the move. There was a rumor Pistons would actually give Miami one of their 1st round picks in 2022 or 23 to get them to take Griffin. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. The 2nd ugliest contract belongs to Drummond, who Cleveland is trying desperately to move. Gores was never cheap, just dumb. Meanwhile the young core is looking very good lately. With the Pistons luck they'll win just enough to miss the lottery.
    As far as winning too much and missing the lottery goes, I’m getting real tired of the tank for draft picks mantra that seems to permeate all our sports teams. Sooner or later the rebuilding has got to stop.

The Pistons have tried not to tank for the past 12 years, and it's returned nothing more than an 0-8 record in the playoffs. It's time they actually rebuild and stop trying to patch together teams with past-their-prime players in an effort to try to make the playoffs every year.

As far as winning too much and missing the lottery goes, I’m getting real tired of the tank for draft picks mantra that seems to permeate all our sports teams. Sooner or later the rebuilding has got to stop.
    I know how you feel. I've definitely had enough of it with the Tigers. This year they get the 3rd pick. If you can't turn it around with all those top 5 picks, you never will. The Pistons are just starting a new rebuild and you need a superstar to win in the NBA. I have a feeling this young core is going to improve enough that this year will be their only shot at a top lottery pick.

Good Riddance to the bum knee Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Pistons have tried not to tank for the past 12 years, and it's returned nothing more than an 0-8 record in the playoffs. It's time they actually rebuild and stop trying to patch together teams with past-their-prime players in an effort to try to make the playoffs every year.
    Bingo !! I feel the same way. Weaver seems to know what he's doing. I didn't like some of the moves he made initially, but Plumlee, Grant and Jackson have played well, mixed in with Stewart and Bey. They actually are fun to watch now. Future looks brighter than 2 years ago.

I know how you feel. I've definitely had enough of it with the Tigers. This year they get the 3rd pick. If you can't turn it around with all those top 5 picks, you never will. The Pistons are just starting a new rebuild and you need a superstar to win in the NBA. I have a feeling this young core is going to improve enough that this year will be their only shot at a top lottery pick.
    With baseball and hockey, it's rare when you have a guy that's drafted able to come in and compete right away. It takes a few years. Hopefully all the high round draft picks that the Tigers are getting will start bearing fruit in 2022. As a reminder to days of old, a good chunk of the homegrown talent on the 1984 championship team were drafted in the late 70's.

I think all four teams are bottoming out or will soon. I could see the mid-2020's being a pretty exciting time for Detroit sports if all four teams get these rebuilds right.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I think all four teams are bottoming out or will soon. I could see the mid-2020's being a pretty exciting time for Detroit sports if all four teams get these rebuilds right.
    Hopefully. Some of us aren't getting any younger and if you remember those drafts you may be in the same camp!

You're very discerning. With the type of horrid basketball from the Pistons that I've been barely able to watch over the past decade, the line between tanking and something else has become blurred.

hopefully Griffin can go to a contender or get a buyout. In this era of "mega teams" being built from strategic All-Star buddies grouping in one team, I'm not sure Detroit is even remotely in that zone of consideration. What is even the "realistic" turnaround time to build a team that's playoff-run worthy? 2 years? three? five? [[uh-oh)...

The Pistons need to hit on a star [[or two) in the next two drafts, develop the other young players around them like Bey, Stewart, Hayes, Svi and Sekou and hope Jerami Grant continues to improve. We're looking at probably three seasons before they start to look decent. Maybe two seasons before they're fighting for the playoffs, if things go well.

I do trust Troy Weaver a lot more than the start of his tenure. His moves have looked good so far, and he has had an impact on free agency in his short time here.

IMHO: The terms "rebuilding or retooling" are nothing more than excuses for years of losing and/or being in last place, yep. Take for example rebuilding a home by professionals where a firm completion date is provided.

What year is on record for completion in regards to any of the 4 struggling Motorcity teams? Yep.

I would say the Pistons, Wings and Tigers are 3-4 years away from being competitive. I don't know about the Lions; they are a mess, but the NFL is a strange league from year to year.

But since this is sports, and not building a house, a number of things need to go right for all of these teams to start winning again, starting with the draft and free agency. And since Detroit isn't exactly a destination for free agents, the draft is even more important. The Red Wings tried to keep their playoff streak alive for way too long and should have started a rebuild earlier, the Tigers had a bloated payroll of aging players and the Pistons kept putting together teams that either barely made the playoffs or weren't bad enough to get a good draft pick. Rebuilds are kind of the only way forward; LeBron James and Fernando Tatis aren't exactly lining up to sign contracts in Detroit.

At least the Pistons are, on some night’s watchable. You cannot say that about the Red Wings, they have no offense, questionable defense and goaltending and coaching. They are a complete train wreck.

I would say the Pistons, Wings and Tigers are 3-4 years away from being competitive. I don't know about the Lions; they are a mess, but the NFL is a strange league from year to year.

But since this is sports, and not building a house, a number of things need to go right for all of these teams to start winning again, starting with the draft and free agency. And since Detroit isn't exactly a destination for free agents, the draft is even more important. The Red Wings tried to keep their playoff streak alive for way too long and should have started a rebuild earlier, the Tigers had a bloated payroll of aging players and the Pistons kept putting together teams that either barely made the playoffs or weren't bad enough to get a good draft pick. Rebuilds are kind of the only way forward; LeBron James and Fernando Tatis aren't exactly lining up to sign contracts in Detroit.
    In the NBA everybody can offer the same max contract [[except the player's current team) so you're correct Detroit will not be a destination. In baseball however, players often go to smaller markets for the most cash. The Tigers demonstrated that with Pudge, Ordonez, Fielder, etc. although sometimes you do have to overpay a little as the Jays just did to get Springer. I really think the Pistons & Tigers can be competitive, maybe not for a division but certainly playoff contending in 2 yrs. if things come together. In the NFL you can turn things around in 1 or 2 yrs. with all the player turnover. Of course you need good management and coaching, something the Lions have clearly lacked.

At least the Pistons are, on some night’s watchable. You cannot say that about the Red Wings, they have no offense, questionable defense and goaltending and coaching. They are a complete train wreck.
    Of course as soon as I write that the Red Wings play their best game of the season beating the Panthers with Bernier absolutely stunning in the net.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2