Kercheval and McClellan. Was young over there, but from what my mom told me, it was a quiet, predominately Jewish neighborhood becoming integrated around the mid '60s.There were little parks to play in the size of an empty lot between normal size houses. A group of nurses and dieticians ran Mom and Tots school and it was subject of a book by Nancy Milio because the community kept it from burning during riots. As an adult I moved back and made friends in the early '80s. The houses were big as mansions. Plenty of make-do wooden stores along Kercheval, old bbq and bar joints, etc. It wasnt overcrowded, why did East Side burn it was middle class- then.

Another neighborhood is North Corktown or Core City from 12th to Blvd. It was mixed, nonviolent and old and charming. People were nice and kept to themselves. Those days even in 70s friends said careful going down to 'skid row' [[Michigan) to go to Ho Lee Inn[[ now Slow's) or LJ's bar to drink. Even got to sneak into Tiger Stadium a few times.