Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That area would be Detroit's North Face.
    Do I get a coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I find the part of Detroit west of Telegraph interesting, a bulge of blocks that end at the interestingly-named Five Points, that bears the name of "The Eye". Telegraph with its width and high traffic flow made it a somewhat of an island. The presence of Grand Lawn Cemetery across Telegraph gives if further isolation. Five Points was sort of a mini Eight Mile with Redford Township across the street from an ethnically mixed neighborhood on the other side. That situation has quietly moved on.

Here's a useful map for this discussion. Click/Tap image for full size view.
    Attachment 41006
    I had a cousin who worked for the City & lived in Five Points right at the border of Detroit/Redford. Once he retired, he moved to Livonia, but did gripe all about how high insurance was while he lived there.

What I would call the Near Northeast Side. Woodward/Ryan/6 Mile/8 Mile. Grixdale, Chaldean Town, Nortown, State Fair, etc. Seemed like a real bustling place and down to earth. I've always wanted to see pictures the old neighborhood where Gateway/Meijer is. A history of those 3 short streets would be interesting to learn. I think I read somewhere on this site or someone told me that all those streets along Woodward between 6 and 7 Mile are one way because so many Chaldeans moved there that the traffic pattern had to be reconfigured.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I think I read somewhere on this site or someone told me that all those streets along Woodward between 6 and 7 Mile are one way because so many Chaldeans moved there that the traffic pattern had to be reconfigured.
    Huh, why?

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Huh, why?
    I know I am stereotyping, but Chaldeans love their cars [[probably because it represents the American dream). When my Chaldean friend lived with her family in college, everyone in the house drove their own car. And they don't exactly buy Prius'.

[[ ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

I know I am stereotyping, but Chaldeans love their cars [[probably because it represents the American dream). When my Chaldean friend lived with her family in college, everyone in the house drove their own car. And they don't exactly buy Prius'.
    I think that lots of different people [[including me) love cars, and lots of different people are showy with money. That one way street thing seems ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think that lots of different people [[including me) love cars, and lots of different people are showy with money. That one way street thing seems ridiculous.
    This is nothing more than pure speculation; but, I suppose it's possible the streets could have been converted to accommodate on-street parking. It would have provided parking on each side, while still allowing one lane of travel. Again, that is nothing more than speculation.

Um, I've never heard that... I have preferred not to share cars, in certain settings and I am black. My teens where they were [[late teens) had their older own car, so as to not drive ours. I had a ton of hatchback and tiny cars in the past. Just don't want to do it now. Prefer a mid-size sedan.

Last edited by Zacha341; November-12-20 at 11:24 AM.

Yep. I think there's a segment of young men like fast sporty, muscle cars period if they can get them. And while it's a house-of-cards relative to how long they will keep them [[short-terms leases/ propped up financing) they will drive them as they can!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

I thought the one way street idea was to help with traffic flow when the streets were covered in snow and ice. Of course, that’s probably wrong too.

I find the part of Detroit west of Telegraph interesting, a bulge of blocks that end at the interestingly-named Five Points, that bears the name of "The Eye". Telegraph with its width and high traffic flow made it a somewhat of an island. The presence of Grand Lawn Cemetery across Telegraph gives if further isolation. Five Points was sort of a mini Eight Mile with Redford Township across the street from an ethnically mixed neighborhood on the other side. That situation has quietly moved on.

Attachment 41006
    I agree about Five Points. A lot of Policeman and Firefighters lived there as it was Detroit proper, when it was mandated they had to live in the city limits, but as far northwest as you could get. Thanks for the map BTW.

Attachment 41006
    Great suggestion! but that map is inaccurate, Conant Gardens, K. Woods ends at 7 Mile, nowhere near 8. And after the housing crash, real estate developers made up names for all of Detroit in order to sell homes. Which is why now the City of Detroit is confused about neighborhood boundaries. Here is the only accurate map of assigned Detroit neighborhoods names pre-housing crash, the link below matches the numbers with neighborhoods names:

https://detroitography.com/2018/11/0...oods-2003/amp/

Source: Cityscape’s Historic Detroit Neighborhoods 2003 – DETROITography

I am looking for the new map with the new intergraded names for all of the neighborhoods, I think landgrid.com has updated a new one with only a few errors. City of Detroit are kind of clueless when it comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    It’s also funny people on here talk about West side and East side but John R divided our neighborhood and also the West and East side of Detroit. So my friends lived on both sides and we had no concept of West and East siders.

We also had 48203 area code and people assumed it was Highland Park but north of 6 mile is Detroit so I guess we were North siders?
    Detroit has a weird boundary plan.

From Downtown to H.P.; Woodward Ave has always been the East/West dividing line. H.P. Is what changes things. After H.P. From 6 Mile to 8 Mile; John R is the East/Westside dividing line. It’s hard explaining that to most people without showing them a map... then they get it!

48203 is Detroit’s zip code that it shares with H.P. From Palmer Woods to Dequindre.

Hey Lowell, I found the interactive up to date map posted at Landgrid.com, link below:

https://landgrid.com/us/mi/wayne/det...=neighborhoods

Or as far NE as you could get, which is why the 7 Mile/Kelly area was filled with cops and firemen. We had 5 cops on our block alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I agree about Five Points. A lot of Policeman and Firefighters lived there as it was Detroit proper, when it was mandated they had to live in the city limits, but as far northwest as you could get. Thanks for the map BTW.

^^^ How's about that. That made for a safer area I am sure. The word gets out where cops live!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ How's about that. That made for a safer area I am sure. The word gets out where cops live!
    Yep, and the density may have increased toward Mack. When they left the problems of breakins skyrocketed.

I find the area around the ford rouge plant intriguing. Just with the industrial feel around there its kind of crazy. I was working at the rouge plant last summer and took a few drives around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I had a cousin who worked for the City & lived in Five Points right at the border of Detroit/Redford. Once he retired, he moved to Livonia, but did gripe all about how high insurance was while he lived there.
    I worked for the City and lived in Rosedale Park. I retired and moved to the Las Vegas area. Bought a home of equal value, and found my tax bill to be 1/3 of what it was. Plus, no state income tax. Just sayin'.

The kicker was that when I lived ON Five points, I had a Redford Zip Code [[48240), so I got Redford insurance rates for auto and home, but had Detroit taxes and fire, EMS and police responses. In some cases, they'd send both Detroit and Redford since they didn't always know which side of the street for some reason, especially for accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I worked for the City and lived in Rosedale Park. I retired and moved to the Las Vegas area. Bought a home of equal value, and found my tax bill to be 1/3 of what it was. Plus, no state income tax. Just sayin'.
    Maybe because they don't have to pay the pensions for a bunch of old farts who will take the money and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Do I get a coat?
    Polartec skivies, with zippered hand warmer pockets.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-13-20 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Hey Lowell, I found the interactive up to date map posted at Landgrid.com, link below:

https://landgrid.com/us/mi/wayne/det...=neighborhoods
    The map I posted and Langrid.com is produced by Loveland Technologies, Jerry Paffendorf's [of Robocop statue, Inch Detroit and other antics fame] tech company. The map I post was an old map, likely since corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe because they don't have to pay the pensions for a bunch of old farts who will take the money and leave.
    Your serve Ray.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast