Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    But no, no, no the last part. At the risk of sending us further down that tangent, Hart Plaza should be restored, maintained, better programmed, and made much more accessible. Not everyone appreciates it, but it's by far the world's best example of Isamu Noguchi's large scale work. Detroit should capitalize on it. Some of us think it could be great [[finally fix the fountain!). I'm old enough to remember when despite the adverse conditions that surrounded it [[and the fountain never working) it almost was. Its biggest problem [[besides the programming / lack thereof) is foot traffic is discouraged or prevented from all sides. The riverwalk helps, but not as much as it could because the TCF center, the Ren Cen, and those ugly parking lots are pedestrian dead zones that offer nothing to draw people there [[the wintergarden helps just a teeny bit). Replacing the lots with mixed use density including significant retail as Shadow Soarer suggested would help a lot!
    100%!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    100%!!
    While were at it, I'd like to see a whole redesign of Jefferson/Lodge under TCF so that it's not completely car oriented. Making Jefferson more of a street instead of a connector between two freeways would encourage more use of Hart Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I agree with the first part. I know historical charm can't convincingly be manufactured [[ok, except Warsaw) but Savannah offers just one of many possible examples of how commercial density can contribute to a city's riverfront.

But no, no, no the last part. At the risk of sending us further down that tangent, Hart Plaza should be restored, maintained, better programmed, and made much more accessible. Not everyone appreciates it, but it's by far the world's best example of Isamu Noguchi's large scale work. Detroit should capitalize on it. Some of us think it could be great [[finally fix the fountain!). I'm old enough to remember when despite the adverse conditions that surrounded it [[and the fountain never working) it almost was. Its biggest problem [[besides the programming / lack thereof) is foot traffic is discouraged or prevented from all sides. The riverwalk helps, but not as much as it could because the TCF center, the Ren Cen, and those ugly parking lots are pedestrian dead zones that offer nothing to draw people there [[the wintergarden helps just a teeny bit). Replacing the lots with mixed use density including significant retail as Shadow Soarer suggested would help a lot!
    I am surprised how many people are not a fan of Hart Plaza. Honestly any time I have been down there for an event I thought it always had a nice and interesting lay out.

Because the thing is mostly concrete, it needs a renovation. Some retail so people would have a reason to spend time there like restaurants or cafes. More intimate spaces. The big hole left by the Ford auditorium needs to be replaced with something.

It could be incredible but nothing is happening to realize the potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Another parking lot about to bite the dust

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ey/6186730002/
    Great find! Finally some news on that development was wondering if it was going to ever happen. Although it being luxury apartments is kind of worrying considering what happened to Cass & York and the Aston [[although those are condos).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Great find! Finally some news on that development was wondering if it was going to ever happen. Although it being luxury apartments is kind of worrying considering what happened to Cass & York and the Aston [[although those are condos).
    Yeah, even the 20% affordable is a red herring. Statements like '20% will be reserved for those making 80% of the area median income' just means that the middle class people living in those units are getting a great deal on rent [[since AMI includes the wealthier suburbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    No no no I’m sick of parks we have enough of the damn things on the river. I want beautiful classic architecture and density, the river doesn’t need more flat green space. And tear up hart plaza while your at it
    Totally agree, emphasis on CLASSIC architecture. Keep Detroit unique with its beautiful art deco/classical regional architecture not this corporate glass that is going up in every city across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentBeing View Post
    Totally agree, emphasis on CLASSIC architecture. Keep Detroit unique with its beautiful art deco/classical regional architecture not this corporate glass that is going up in every city across the world.
    I'm a little late to this thread. That stuff hasn't been built since the 1940s and mostly not since the 1920s. "Classic" architecture tends to look cheesy when not made of the traditional limestone/real brick/granite/marble/bronze/copper/terra cotta etc. If that's too expensive, I'd rather see glass/something that's modern but also classic, like in the style of the GM Tech Center buildings.
    Last edited by Burnsie; August-21-21 at 01:35 PM.

Detroit has gotten some nice Post-Modern buildings in the 1980s/1990s. 150 West Jefferson and Ally Detroit Center are 2 very attractive designs, made with quality materials.

I remember when the John Burgee/Philip Johnson designed Ally [then One Detroit Center] building went up in 1993. Some architects derided it as pastiche [it has a fancy Flemish Gothic inspired top], but that building [with a granite skin] has withstood the test of time, and does not look odd today... unlike Burgee/Johnson's Milwaukee Flemish Renaissance building design, with seems out of place today.

Even though the Hudson's Building will be modern glass enclosed, at least it respects the street wall of lower Woodward, and will reflect the images of the historic buildings around it.

The Hudson's building will have a facade of bronze and terracotta. Which never happens for a new skyscraper in North America outside of New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    North of Atwater would be great for some density, but I'd like to see south up to the river walk be some sort of public space or something that's not just a large development. Maybe a public/private campus martius type thing.
    They could call it Chene Park perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    They could call it Chene Park perhaps.
    Personally, I'm biased towards the name Tri-Centennial State Park & Harbor.

Tire Chalking is Unconstitutional! [[6th Circuit)
    The tire chalking case appears to finally be over - and the city lost.
    Couldn't they just somehow mark the pavement around a tire to accomplish the same purpose?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2