Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roundabouts

My parents live in West Bloomfield. The township recently installed a roundabout at their main intersection. Before the roundabout, it used to take 2-3 traffic light cycles to pass through that intersection during peak hours. Post roundabout, the traffic is completely gone. There are many roundabouts all over that area, some with lights, most without, and traffic seems to flow through them pretty well.

I was skeptical about roundabouts too. Having experienced this, I've definitely changed my tune.

I've never walked around West Bloomfield. How is it for pedestrians there, specifically through the traffic circles? I had family in the Mack and Moross area until recently, and since long before I was born. We walked those sidewalks all the time. Several never bought a car. One, who passed away not too long ago never learned to drive. It was the neighborhood's walkability and transit options that brought them there and until recently kept them there. Although both those amenities have deteriorated over the years.
    Last edited by bust; October-13-20 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I've never walked around West Bloomfield. How is it for pedestrians there, specifically through the traffic circles?
    Not in West Bloomfield, but in Rochester Hills at Livernois and Hamlin, there can be issues. One of the big issues is if you're crossing the roundabout in a clockwise direction, people aren't always looking for you. People generally are looking to their left, because that's the only place vehicular traffic can come from. However, when a pedestrian approaches from the right side of a car, sometimes people don't look for them.

The solution is education, signage, and perhaps activated flashing lights for pedestrians.

All this discussion reminds me of......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_B8JP2pA8

Roundabouts work well in auto-dominated suburban areas. In dense urban areas, however, they can be a nightmare for pedestrians and cyclists. In London, as part of that city's ongoing campaign to reduce auto traffic and encourage walking and biking, most of them have been removed or are in the process of being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Roundabouts work well in auto-dominated suburban areas. In dense urban areas, however, they can be a nightmare for pedestrians and cyclists. In London, as part of that city's ongoing campaign to reduce auto traffic and encourage walking and biking, most of them have been removed or are in the process of being removed.

The most congested traffic circle I have ever encountered is in Paris at the Arc de Triomphe and it was easier to navigate walking then driving. They simply made tunnels for pedestrian crossing.
    Last edited by Wheels; October-14-20 at 08:17 AM.

Default Roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I am opposed to roundabouts. They degrade the urban experience.

One need only to google "beautiful roundabout" images to see that this is not the case.

I love them. The only places in the metro area where I can drive as aggressively as I want without having to worry about police. Nothing is more fun than cutting off every car trying to enter, running bicyclists off the road. and holding those trying to leave to the inside missing their exit. Makes my day when I can drive through one. I cannot wait to have one close to home.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-15-20 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Here's the link to their website: https://www.mackaveplan.com/

I didn't realize this was happening and I'm all for the improvements.
    I bet this is a long way off from happening, if at all. Too progressive for Grosse Pointe, too expensive for Detroit, too complicated for the WCRC. It's going to take user education on both ends of the socioeconomic spectrum - more than either one is willing to tolerate.

I would not want to see rounbabouts everywhere [[like 7 Mile and Greenfield - LOL). Too many people still yet don't seem to understand how to use them.

It took me a while to get my confidence up to navigate that grand one at the bottom of Northwestern and Orchard Lake! Just nuts how some folks blaze thru that one...

People complained about the traffic circles at Michigan State University about 15 years ago. They were almost all removed in favor of traditional intersections. Now people have been begging for the circles to come back. Their efficiency cannot be beat in high traffic areas, even if some low iq folks have a hard time figuring them out.

"Roundabout" is a song by the English progressive rock band Yes from their fourth studio album Fragile, released in November 1971. The song originated when the band were on tour and travelled from Aberdeen to Glasgow and went through many roundabouts on the way.

I'll be the roundabout
    The words will make you out 'n' out
    I spend the day your way
    Call it morning driving through the sound and
    In and out the valley

I saw Yes at the Joe in the 80s. What a great show. They had a round stage at center ice. The entire stage rotated with the drummer sitting on his own platform. When they played roundabout the stage spun round furiously. They raised the drummer up and also spun him even faster.

And back on subject: With me Being a British transplant, I think roundabouts are great and we need to replace more intersections with roundabouts. They replace major headon and tbone crashes with less deadly sideswipes.

I agree they're better for cars, especially when they're kept simple. Also, I love the improvements they've proposed along the rest of Mack. My only concern is for pedestrian safety and convenience at Moross. People do still walk there, and that will increase if the municipal buildings ever happen. It doesn't seem like the current design thought that through.

And back on subject: With me Being a British transplant, I think roundabouts are great and we need to replace more intersections with roundabouts. They replace major headon and tbone crashes with less deadly sideswipes.
    Name:  Magic-Roundabout3.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  70.2 KB

That must be fun at night!

Hah, I first learned about this one on a test I had to complete as part of a job application. The task: Explain in writing the design of this roundabout and how it works.

PS. Imagine having to get to the other side on foot. With a cane; a walker.

PPS. p69rrh51 provides an example how without everyone's considerate cooperation they don't work.
    Last edited by bust; October-16-20 at 06:23 PM.

If the French drivers can manage 12 exits on their roundabouts we should be able to manage 4.

Name:  Etoile.png
Views: 1045
Size:  240.5 KB
    Last edited by expatriate; October-17-20 at 09:46 AM.

Rented a car in Ireland a couple of years ago and within a few hours got used to both the left hand driving and roundabouts.

MAP: Michigan's most dangerous intersections in 2020

The roundabout at 18 ½ Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue in Sterling Heights again topped the list compiled by Michigan Auto Law in 2020. Crashes were down 40% from 2019, but it was still the worst.

As time goes on and more traffic circles get added to Michigan roads, people will grow up learning to drive on them. Currently most people over the age of 40 that drive here didn't learn to drive on them.

The plan places the pedestrian crossings well before for traffic circle giving drivers ample opportunity to assess the situation. The islands provide a break that allows a rest for those who need it before continuing across. As it stands the elderly must scramble to traverse the intersection in a single signal.

Name:  Mack-Morass.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  29.7 KB

Two of those dangerous intersections are on US 131 in Grand Rapids. Serious design flaws from day one at Wealthy Street and Burton.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/map...ctions-in-2020

Does anyone else find it ironic that the most dangerous intersection in Michigan is not an intersection, but a roundabout?

I do not believe this a coincidence.

I have a strong dislike for them because I feel I am about to get cut off or sideswiped every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    As time goes on and more traffic circles get added to Michigan roads, people will grow up learning to drive on them. Currently most people over the age of 40 that drive here didn't learn to drive on them.
    This. Over time people will get more use to them. If you know how to use them they are almost always better for traffic flow than lights.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I love them. The only places in the metro area where I can drive as aggressively as I want without having to worry about police. Nothing is more fun than cutting off every car trying to enter, running bicyclists off the road. and holding those trying to leave to the inside missing their exit. Makes my day when I can drive through one. I cannot wait to have one close to home.
    Wow......you're a meanie!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast