Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

With its racism and militarism, the U.S. is the spiritual heir of Prussia. And these sins didn’t begin with the baby boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I can celebrate this at least. The baby Boomers truly ruined everything. Ruined our cities, ruined our social safety nets, ruined our environment.

What did we inherit from the Boomers? Ugly suburban homes and stripmalls as far as the eye can see in this country, thank you Boomers.
    Sounds like you need to go back and read the history books... the 1946-64 baby boomers were still in diapers when the suburbs and strip malls started going up in the post WWII war years. They've been going up every since... so do we also blame the Generation Xers and Millennials?

6. Fed up with Democrats, their endless lies, and their sabotage of candidates that would fight for universal healthcare
    You got the wrong party for endless lies Bud. Look no further than YOUR current, hopefully former administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You got the wrong party for endless lies Bud. Look no further than YOUR current, hopefully former administration.
    Neither party holds a monopoly on endless lies.

This thread is going to end up the same as the Non-Detroit one did.

Hah! Don't let me get started [[too late ): There are families right here in town I know about at each others throats not speaking/ disowning one another -- forsaking their own blood lineages over who wins this race! As my father used to say 'in this house there is only one God...'. Some may scoff at that, but whatever - I dig at the idea of priorities, stated.

I am not giving ANY politician enough power to destroy my family. There's enough angst tearing away at families here in the D.

No signs, bumper stickers and no drawn-out convo if it means destruction of that which has more value -- long after presidents come and go.

Too often that stuffs are like tattoos you wish you could take back later.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-24-20 at 06:12 PM.

Not if people don't go nuts, with the strikable name-calling, etc. and topics stays in the realm of Detroit, relatively. Since of course politics are part of the narrative of the city. No doubt! FO' SHO'!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    This thread is going to end up the same as the Non-Detroit one did.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-24-20 at 06:42 PM.

Yep, be like ninja, never let them see you coming.

So Few Biden - Harris Vote Yard Signs ETC. In The D?

In today’s environment, if you said something like that in the workplace or on a college campus you could get fired. It would fall under the heading of "Microaggression" and “Implicit bias”.

The implied bias: We would expect to see a lot of Biden-Harris signs in Detroit because the population is overwhelmingly black and everyone knows that all black people vote the same way, Democratic!

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    So Few Biden - Harris Vote Yard Signs ETC. In The D?

In today’s environment, if you said something like that in the workplace or on a college campus you could get fired. It would fall under the heading of "Microaggression" and “Implicit bias”.

The implied bias: We would expect to see a lot of Biden-Harris signs in Detroit because the population is overwhelmingly black and everyone knows that all black people vote the same way, Democratic!
    Firstly, you don't talk about politics at work.

There's a difference between saying:
    "Why don't I see a lot of Biden signs in a city the has a strong historic trend of voting for the Democratic candidate?"

"Why isn't that specific black person voting for the Democratic candidate?"

I expect Detroit, based off of what I know about how it voted in the past, to vote for Biden. Just as we know that Kansas will probably go to Trump. It doesn't mean that I can just assume that every old white guy there is a Trump voter, but I can assume the state will go to Trump.

^^^ I hear that. The resentment I'm hearing from some black voters is that our vote is so ALWAYS assumed. Without question we're just to 'get in line'. More are challenging this... starting with that talk interview with Biden had where he made comments that if you're 'black' of course you should vote for him. That was checked right there!

Biden was taken aback as are others in the Dem power elite when we but make any comment not affirming every policy and idea presented! Figuring the goal of removing Trump sufficient - they really showed their hand disinterested in the specificity of our interests. Just more broad-brushed - more handling.

So we see a move of more blacks towards the indie and even Repub vote -- at minimal voicing a challenge to Dem status quo. The Dem party, slow at adapting, must do so knowing the days of our unquestioning vote is done!

The really WOKE black voter will render critiques, at a higher frequency just as we have towards the Rebubs. Our silence will not be brought at the behest of ending the Trump presidency, unquestioningly.

Like OK, many of us will vote for Biden, got that. But this shut-up and do so - umm no. That's not going to work.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-20 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear that. I think the resentment I am hearing from some black voters is that our vote is so ALWAYS assumed. Without question, we're just to 'get in line'.
    I could certainly understand that, and I've witnessed people make these kind of assumptions about individuals. I've had white neighbors assume that because I'm white that I would go along with their dog-whistle racism comments. I've seen other folks challenge a gay person for voting for Trump because they knew she was gay. People are complex with different priorities. Making an assumption that you know what's best for them should be insulting to that person.

^^^ Yep. All gay people and black people think alike - or SHOULD - so goes the thinking. Increasingly, the intolerance and rigidity is growing. If you dissent on any areas along the narrative, you're condemned whole cloth. But even former president Obama warned of the progressives within the Dem party creating a circular 'firing squad'.

Interestingly, last I checked what people do vs what they say remains supreme!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-20 at 10:35 AM.

Uh it's not progressives doing the attacking. It's liberals attacking anybody who doesn't wanna vote for Biden and expecting everybody to fall in line because he's not Trump.

Obama is a bourgeoisie Democrat who lied to the public about hope and change to get elected. He is exactly the problem in the Democratic party, the reason we're forced to have garbage like Biden on the ticket. He's the one who made calls to Buttigieg and Klobuchar to drop out before super Tuesday.

Uh it's not progressives doing the attacking. It's liberals attacking anybody who doesn't wanna vote for Biden and expecting everybody to fall in line because he's not Trump.

Obama is a bourgeoisie Democrat who lied to the public about hope and change to get elected. He is exactly the problem in the Democratic party, the reason we're forced to have garbage like Biden on the ticket. He's the one who made calls to Buttigieg and Klobuchar to drop out before super Tuesday.
    Agreed 110%.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed 110%.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I am a life-long Republican. Or at least I was.

I will be voting for Joe Biden.

For some unknown reason the Biden campaign is charging $25 for each yard sign. That is why you are seeing fewer Joe signs.

I find this policy to be maddening and incomprehensible.

I think that TRUMP-PENCE signs could be free. But fall for their Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    With its racism and militarism, the U.S. is the spiritual heir of Prussia.
    On second thought, the U.S. is more dangerous than Prussia which had one saving grace: it wasn't highly religious. Because gradually after the Thirty Years War the nations of Nordic, Central, and Western Europe gave up their theocracies, superstitions, and religions, and became secular. But the U.S. still clings to those illusions which make it potentially more dangerous to humanity than Prussia or Germany ever were.

IMO not so much liberals, but the far left... Even some liberals are starting to challenge their extremes! And the Detroiter's I talk to tend now to be far left oriented. Nope.

Uh it's not progressives doing the attacking. It's liberals attacking anybody who doesn't wanna vote for Biden and expecting everybody to fall in line because he's not Trump...
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-25-20 at 03:22 PM.

The Democratic Party of Carter, Clinton, Obama, Biden, and Harris is largely to the right of even Eisenhower or Nixon. As a result many progressives voted third-party in 2000 and 2016, and they are solely to blame for Bush-Cheney and Trump-Pence. The moral of the story is that progressives have brought us two Caligulas in this century.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; September-25-20 at 04:15 PM.

On second thought, the U.S. is more dangerous than Prussia which had one saving grace: it wasn't highly religious. Because gradually after the Thirty Years War the nations of Nordic, Central, and Western Europe gave up their theocracies, superstitions, and religions, and became secular. But the U.S. still clings to those illusions which make it potentially more dangerous to humanity than Prussia or Germany ever were.
    After the major bloodletting of the senseless 30 Years War [[1618-1648), which killed about 1/3 of the population of the German states, due to religion [[Catholic vs. Lutheran). By the 18th century the enlightened despots of Europe avoided the dangers of religion in state affairs.

Even the the Electors [[later Kings) of Saxony were Catholic in a Lutheran state... where the capital [[Dresden) had a Catholic and Lutheran cathedral. Even Berlin had both Catholic and Lutheran cathedrals... although both the Hohenzollern rulers and the Prussian state were mainly Lutheran.

Germany today is a hodge-podge of religious regions, that are tolerant of each other [[unlike the former Irish troubles). I was born in Germany [[came to the US at age 5) in what was the smaller Lutheran state of Saxe-Coburg. From there if you traveled 30 miles to the south you would reach the Catholic region formerly ruled by the Prince-Bishops of Bamberg, go another 50 miles to the south, and you would reach the Lutheran region around the [[former) Free Imperial City of Nuremberg. Go another 60 miles to the south, and you would reach the Catholic regions of lower and upper Bavaria [[ruled by the Electors of Bavaria) surrounding the capital of Munich [[headed by the Archbishop of Munich-Freising, which Pope Benedict XVI once ruled as).

Germany [[and all its' regions that were formerly independent states, such as Prussia) has remained secular since the 17th century, despite Hapsburg attempts otherwise.

Democrats today remain secular. However, Republicans [[with the support of the Christian fundamentalists) aren't as interested in secularism.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-25-20 at 03:24 PM.

The Democratic Party of Carter, Clinton, Obama, Biden, and Harris is largely to the right of even Eisenhower or Nixon.
    ^^^That's true.

As a result many progressives voted third-party in 2000 and 2016, and they are solely to blame for Bush-Cheney and Trump-Pence. The moral of the story is that progressives have brought us two Caligulas in this century.
    ^^^And that's just bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ^^^And that's just bullshit.
    Third party voters are blameless?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    A guy on the BBC said it best. No matter where your loyalties lie, the fact is Donald Trump won the 2016 election by a margin of people that wouldn't fill Wembley stadium.
    That's one way to look at it. On the other hand,

Trump Beat Clinton by 3 Million Outside of CA and NY.

MI was a battleground state, which Trump won by 10,704 votes.
    Last edited by Midnight Rambler; September-28-20 at 07:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast