Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    At least DetroitYes has an ignore list...
    The troll rejoined but significantly toned down his posting behavior so mods wont get rid of him now. I guess I'll have to utilize this ignore feature.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity View Post
    There are several times as many restaurants and small businesses that are also closing that the media doesn't cover. This is just an example of a prominent one they did.
    Im not sure what number of new restaurants and small business start ups fail in a short time even under the best of circumstances but it’s a high percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Im not sure what number of new restaurants and small business start ups fail in a short time even under the best of circumstances but it’s a high percentage.
    I deal in restaurant equipment I would say a good 60% do not make it past the first year.

As far as the current situation,nothing has really changed,equipment is at a premium and high demand with the amount of new openings,because the economy was going good before the lockdowns there were a lot in the pipeline that were getting ready to open.

They just used the time to finish the buildout.It shows a stark difference in how things were handled on a regional basis,our take outs that stayed open had 90 day revenues that equaled last years total revenue.

Down here anyways,nothing has changed,outside of suppliers stopping the stocking of parts inventory until after November,that is having a bigger impact then the virus,not wanting to be stuck with a lot of inventory and hanging on to cash reserves in order to weather a bigger storm that may or may not happen at that time.

But it is like that at every election year,so nothing new.

Detroit News projects $410 million city shortfall
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ic/5719640002/

BLM, the university campus culture that teaches the false doctrines of "white privilege" and diversity worship, and the politics of intersectionality espoused by the modern day, post-Obama Democratic party have radicalized black Detroiters. At the street level, black Detroiters seem no longer capable of common decency to people who look different than them.

All year long I have been harangued and hassled by black Detroiters, which has included the following: not moving out of my way while walking down the street, bumping into my shoulders, bumping into my children, asking my 16 and 11 year old children for money, random blacks challenging me to fights [[of which I have never backed down), blacks asking my children for food during a Belle Isle picnic, blacks coming into restaurants asking me to pay for their food and then rambling on about "white privilege" when I forcefully tell them no, being lectured to about slavery by random black people in front of the Underground Railroad monument at the River Walk and also at the Finney Barn placard in Capitol Park, blacks in their car yelling at me to go back to the suburbs as I rode my bike on Belle Isle, "Keep Detroit Majority Black" stickers posted on signs and telephone posts around town, overhearing random conversations about too much white art at the DIA [[seems to be a popular topic around town), and on and on. I am a native Detroiter and have always experienced racism from blacks, but never at this consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    BLM, the university campus culture that teaches the false doctrines of "white privilege" and diversity worship, and the politics of intersectionality espoused by the modern day, post-Obama Democratic party have radicalized black Detroiters. At the street level, black Detroiters seem no longer capable of common decency to people who look different than them.

All year long I have been harangued and hassled by black Detroiters, which has included the following: not moving out of my way while walking down the street, bumping into my shoulders, bumping into my children, asking my 16 and 11 year old children for money, random blacks challenging me to fights [[of which I have never backed down), blacks asking my children for food during a Belle Isle picnic, blacks coming into restaurants asking me to pay for their food and then rambling on about "white privilege" when I forcefully tell them no, being lectured to about slavery by random black people in front of the Underground Railroad monument at the River Walk and also at the Finney Barn placard in Capitol Park, blacks in their car yelling at me to go back to the suburbs as I rode my bike on Belle Isle, "Keep Detroit Majority Black" stickers posted on signs and telephone posts around town, overhearing random conversations about too much white art at the DIA [[seems to be a popular topic around town), and on and on. I am a native Detroiter and have always experienced racism from blacks, but never at this consistency.
    This blows my mind. I can count on 2 fingers or less the number of times my family and I have experienced any of these types of things in Detroit in the last 15 years. I don't know you, so I won't pass any judgment, but from my experience you have to go out of your way to find trouble like that in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    This blows my mind. I can count on 2 fingers or less the number of times my family and I have experienced any of these types of things in Detroit in the last 15 years. I don't know you, so I won't pass any judgment, but from my experience you have to go out of your way to find trouble like that in Detroit.
    I think the sentence that says "random blacks challenging me to fights [[of which I have never backed down)" tells you this guy is always looking for trouble.

That's what I always tell people. If you want the smoke it ain't hard to find, but if you mind your business you'll be fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I think the sentence that says "random blacks challenging me to fights [[of which I have never backed down)" tells you this guy is always looking for trouble.
    Yeah? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    That's what I always tell people. If you want the smoke it ain't hard to find, but if you mind your business you'll be fine here.
    I think the last nine words in your post are words to live by and they’re very true no matter what city you’re in - until they’re not. Sometimes through no fault of your own, trouble finds you.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think the last nine words in your post are words to live by and they’re very true no matter what city you’re in - until they’re not. Sometimes through no fault of your own, trouble finds you.
    That's true but I've been fucked with more in cities like Seattle and Portland than cities like Detroit. I don't know maybe it's my face

Really? I was downtown for 2-3 hours a couple days ago to just walk around and enjoy the weather. Was harassed 3 times. I would say there are more times I am harassed when in the city than NOT harassed. It is not Detroit exclusive but you most definitely dont have to "go out of your way" to find trouble. We still are a massive crime center of the nation.

Racial tensions are high here but I believe it is a vocal few that push the narrative. Stuff like pressuring Gilbert and Bedrock to take down a billboard bc it wasnt black enough is a pretty hostile environment if you ask me. Also, reading through the new Jefferson Chalmers master plan, where residents say they don't want their neighborhood to "go white like midtown". The fact is no city belongs to a certain race, at least not in America. The black vs "incoming" white narrative is definitely pushed in recent books about Detroit and by some of our "chief storytellers" employed by the city. I prefer the Detroit is for everybody narrative. Not sure how others feel on this but definitely a touchy topic.

They always manage to reveal themselves eventually...

I live and invest in Detroit and only once have I experienced any hostility. A guy ambushed me with a pen and petition about something to do with going to college. I told him I’m happy to sign but he demanded money. I politely told him I had none and he starts berating me about being a racist. Fuck that attitude but I’m glad it’s not widespread. Majority Detroiters are polite, welcoming and always nod in passing. There’s a sense of pride here that I’ve always loved and cherished

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentBeing View Post
    Really? I was downtown for 2-3 hours a couple days ago to just walk around and enjoy the weather. Was harassed 3 times. I would say there are more times I am harassed when in the city than NOT harassed. It is not Detroit exclusive but you most definitely dont have to "go out of your way" to find trouble. We still are a massive crime center of the nation.
    Can you described what you experienced please? Thanks

I was downtown today and loved it. Grand Circus Park, Madcap coffee, ect...Fine weather and friendly people. I don't feel any tension, racial or otherwise at all.

My wife and I have lived in the city since 2004 [[minus a few Army years). We are raising our white child in the city. We go to all corners of town and do not experience any sort of race-centered harassment. Beyond some panhandling and a couple cat calls [[not appropriate, but universal) we have not felt harassed in any way.

So I guess I just don't know if we have had a unicorn experience, or what. I am certainly not naive, I know these things area real. I have no problem calling out the ugly things that happen in Detroit. However, I just don't think there is a wide problem like is insuated in the latter part of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Can you described what you experienced please? Thanks
    2 panhandlers with lengthy stories and a guy belligerently and repeatedly asking "why are you here, man?" I don't mind the panhandlers that much but this wasn't the first time my existence within the city has been questioned. Mainly wanted to point out that it is not uncommon to be approached when in the city, could be anecdotal, just sharing my experience. I will admit that that was the most I have ever been approached in one sitting. Most times very bearable and no different than my chicago visits.

As for racial strife, the Jefferson Chalmers master plan quote [[reported by Crains a week or two back) shocked me and the book "How to live in Detroit without being a jackass" seemed racially charged and divisive, along with a regular flow of articles by various local news outlets.

I should clarify my stance. I believe and it is my experience that your average Detroiter is quite friendly. There are a vocal few that push the racial narrative. Panhandlers are not uncommon. Nothing we can't work through, lots of great improvement in the past decade. Much to look forward to.

That’s pretty common anywhere you go in the country,go into a depressed neighborhood and start fixing up houses,values rise forcing some out,so you get push back,some embrace change while some oppose it.

You cannot take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That’s pretty common anywhere you go in the country,go into a depressed neighborhood and start fixing up houses,values rise forcing some out,so you get push back,some embrace change while some oppose it.

You cannot take it personally.
    I know its not personal, that was kind of my point. I agree with you. Still will point out harassment when I see it, despite it being personal or not. Mainly this was a response to the "never experienced harassment in Detroit" topic.

I have to echo what others wrote above. I lived most of my adult life in Highland Park [okay not Detroit, just more Detroit than Detroit], home-birthed and raised my kid there, traveled all over Detroit photographing in the scariest neighborhoods imaginable, had my business in Detroit, and still go there all the time. Over all those years, I have had maybe 2-3 unpleasant events which are far outweighed by countless thousands of pleasant encounters and acts of kindness.

I don't know if you just drew the short straw or what, because my experience does not match yours, but mine is much the same as everyone's I know and Detroit has alway been very midwestern friendly. As for panhandlers intimidation is just one angle of making money just as looking pathetic is. Many, if not most, of them are mentally ill.

Racial tensions are high here but I believe it is a vocal few that push the narrative. Stuff like pressuring Gilbert and Bedrock to take down a billboard bc it wasnt black enough is a pretty hostile environment if you ask me. Also, reading through the new Jefferson Chalmers master plan, where residents say they don't want their neighborhood to "go white like midtown". The fact is no city belongs to a certain race, at least not in America. The black vs "incoming" white narrative is definitely pushed in recent books about Detroit and by some of our "chief storytellers" employed by the city. I prefer the Detroit is for everybody narrative. Not sure how others feel on this but definitely a touchy topic.
    So you found changing and that said "See Detroit like we do" that doesn't remotely reflect the diversity of the city "hostile". Hmmm... Personally, I thought it good that Bedrock say how tone def it was.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/m...-and-apologies

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    So you found changing and that said "See Detroit like we do" that doesn't remotely reflect the diversity of the city "hostile". Hmmm... Personally, I thought it good that Bedrock say how tone def it was.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/m...-and-apologies
    The campaign was for metro Detroiters, not just Detroit. Demographics of metro Detroit are much different. It's ok to have white people on a billboard about Detroit, no single race owns a city. Plus, do you count those who commute to work everyday in the demographic counts? Are we not allowed to advertise to them? To me it was just a show of petty racial politics. Yes, nitpicking the color of the ppls skin a private business advertisement is a hostile business environment, to me at least.

Bedrock did not say "we don't want blacks", but the Jefferson Chalmers master plan does have a quote saying "we don't want our neighborhood to go white".

The campaign was for metro Detroiters, not just Detroit. Demographics of metro Detroit are much different. It's ok to have white people on a billboard about Detroit, no single race owns a city. Plus, do you count those who commute to work everyday in the demographic counts? Are we not allowed to advertise to them? To me it was just a show of petty racial politics. Yes, nitpicking the color of the ppls skin a private business advertisement is a hostile business environment, to me at least.
    This is nonsense. Even if you want to be deliberately obtuse and use Metro Detroit's stats, the Metro area is still almost 1/4th black. So you should be able to see a lot more than 0 black people in that ad if you were really "seeing [[Metro) Detroit like we do."

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This is nonsense. Even if you want to be deliberately obtuse and use Metro Detroit's stats, the Metro area is still almost 1/4th black. So you should be able to see a lot more than 0 black people in that ad if you were really "seeing [[Metro) Detroit like we do."
    I am not being "deliberately obtuse" and I don't believe it is "nonsense". The ad depicts some type of parade, which yes metro detroiters come in for. If anything it could have been a message of unity between city and suburb, but no always have to look at everything through a racial lens. It is ok to be white in detroit and it is ok to have white people in ads about detroit. At the end of the day we are detroiters, metro detroiters, michiganders and americans.

My words seem to have been taken as hostility [["deliberately obtuse" and "nonsense") but I am only giving my perspective. I am sure we all want what is best for Detroit.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast