Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The NON-DETROIT forum has been closed

We regret to announce that the Non-Detroit forum has been closed. It has finally proven to be too much work to continue its operation. The time-consuming and unpleasant work of dealing with a continual stream of complaints involving name-calling, ad hominem attacks, and other forum rules violations have brought on this action.

From this point forward the DetroitYES forums will adhere to its core mission only, the discussion of all [and only] topics concerning the Detroit-Windsor international metropolis in the Discuss Detroit forum. No discussion of topics outside that sphere will be permitted. That includes Non-Detroit politics. No Trump, no Biden, just Detroit.

The Chit Chat Room will continue for friendly personal discussions by members, discussions about the forum itself, and other non-controversial topics that may not fit in the main forum.
    Last edited by admin; August-24-20 at 12:24 AM.

I do so hope it returns someday. Civility was tossed aside by a few.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; August-24-20 at 03:46 AM.

So this is how liberty dies... with a thunderous applause. Senator Padme.

Yep... some made it bad for others per repeated patterns of communication.

I am sorry to hear that this action had to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I do so hope it returns someday. Civility was tossed aside by a few.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    It has finally proven to be too much work to continue its operation.
    Ohhhh puhhlleeezee......

There were only less than a dozen of us posting there. Adding another moderator would have eased the immense and time consuming overly arduous and grueling tasks that prevented Admin from eating, sleeping or breathing for weeks on end.

Or it could simply have been left unmoderated.

And so the sequestering of freedom of speech continues by the media. Those not adhering to the new think-speak will be placed in Taiwanese Zuililly work camps until they become assimilated.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-24-20 at 07:29 AM.

Well, Admin could have banned the users who were being offensive but that would have effectively shut it down anyway. Sorry you had to do this, Lowell, but I understand the frustration

It's amazing it lasted as long as it did. Thanks Lowell and son.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And so the sequestering of freedom of speech continues by the media. Those not adhering to the new think-speak will be placed in Taiwanese Zuililly work camps until they become assimilated.
    Agreed.

Years ago there were only a handful of active posters here with political opinions that leaned right of center [[I'll call those the days of Karl LOL..) Now that the balance has shifted markedly, all of a sudden the mess in Non-Detroit is no longer acceptable?

After today I'll be signing off for the foreseeable future. I spend too much damn time on here anyhow.

If he/they were afraid of that section being seeing as a distraction for casual readers, there is/was a solution.

Set it for Registered Members Only. You have to be a member and signed in to even see the section. The web view passer by who is not a member does not see the section at all.

Their website, their rules. Not a problem.

Exactly. Also his money
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post

I could post a link to somewhere else .....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I could post a link to somewhere else .....

Why not?

And right now, on Discuss Detroit, someone is being ridiculed, by the very person who used to dish it out on Non-Detroit, for asking about last night's riot.

Too bad things worked the way thay did... but we had Karl Jr. here and a few tag alongs... and there was never any serious LOGICAL discussion...

Hah! Unmoderated gets you the madness of twitter and youtube re. certain subjects. I've belonged to a few of those...

And they moderate not so much re. how people talk, but content.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Or it could simply have been left unmoderated.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-20 at 03:13 PM.

As an oldster poster [[not in age per se - but in longevity here) I recall when the Detroit side was very active! The non, not as much. And yes, you have rules on most sites and blogs. And direct steering of content on some. I belonged to a blog years ago where the admin bit everyone's head off day and night [[I guess he never slept) - finally running everyone off.

This sites admin has allowed a great deal of freedom not putting a stamp upon every post, thought or comma. Then you have to make a choice.

I'll miss the non-Detroit aspect - which provided me an area to learn a great deal, and to hone opinions and thoughts that I sometimes later adapted/ expanded for articles and poetry I write and use elsewhere.

I will look forward to more on the Detroit side. Be well everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-26-20 at 07:07 AM.

Well hell, and here I made a special trip to talk about Boston and it's relationship to all the international communities...

I think things at Non-Detroit got too "Carelessly Conversational".
    H/t to Zacha

Back in the 'olden days' if something got tossed to the Non Detroit side, it was the kiss of death.Lowell tossed the St Jude/Eastside thread over there, which was a HUGE thread, and within 3 months it was dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As an oldster poster [[not in age per se - but in longevity here) I recall when the Detroit side was very active! The non, not as much.

I see Usenet still exists. It's an overwhelmingly massive worldwide discussion network that was established in 1980, a decade before the Word Wide Web. It's distributed so that no one administrator could shut it down.

Comcast's service used to include Usenet access but dumped it as it did with personal website support. Usenet can still be accessed for free through Google Groups although I'm sure there are better pay services out there.

Just as an example of how enormous Usenet is, there are 2578 newsgroup titles containing "Detroit" listed in Google Groups. Other topics span the globe — literally.

Edit: Forget Google Groups. You'd think Google would be embarrassed to leave it standing. Dr. McCoy summed it up for me: He's dead Jim.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-27-20 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Back in the 'olden days' if something got tossed to the Non Detroit side, it was the kiss of death.Lowell tossed the St Jude/Eastside thread over there, which was a HUGE thread, and within 3 months it was dead
    The St. Jude Nostalgia thread was never moved to Non-Detroit. It was moved to this forum, formerly Detroit Connections, now the Chit Chat Room.

Like the Garwood thread, it became a community site, rather than a Detroit discussion topic, which is a function of the Chit Chat Room. The Garwood continues unabated, the largest thread on DetroitYES. If you click the Replies/Views link at the top of this forum's thread list page, to make it sort according to the most, you will see that St.Jude Nostalgia comes up second after Garwood.

You’re correct LOL it was moved to this forum in July 2011 when there were 259 pages of posts; from then until now [[9 yrs later)there have been Five more pages. I.e. the kiss of death
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The St. Jude Nostalgia thread was never moved to Non-Detroit. It was moved to this forum, formerly Detroit Connections, now the Chit Chat Room.

Like the Garwood thread, it became a community site, rather than a Detroit discussion topic, which is a function of the Chit Chat Room. The Garwood continues unabated, the largest thread on DetroitYES. If you click the Replies/Views link at the top of this forum's thread list page, to make it sort according to the most, you will see that St.Jude Nostalgia comes up second after Garwood.

Maybe I understand the rationale for closing it.
    Whether if, or if not, I'm relieved.
    The non-Detroit forum was a soapbox for lies and disinformation.
    Mostly from posters who aren't from Detroit. Most notoriously, from someone who hasn't even stepped foot in Michigan.
    I felt an obligation to correct their nonsense. [[I shouldn't have.)
    Admin, I hope I didn't contribute to your frustration.
    Whatever the case, it comes as a great relief I will no longer.
    Thank you!
    Detroit is what this forum should be about.
    I'm grateful for it!
    Last edited by bust; August-30-20 at 09:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast