Talk about whistling past the graveyard... I have to hand it to these five restaurateurs to holding to their visions and looking beyond to the world when we'll be vaccinated and hugging again. I wish them all the luck and commend them for their boldness. And, I have to add, it's nice to be able to post some upbeat news for a change.

Among the five mentioned in the Free Press article by Mark Kurlyandchik I find the Coriander Kitchen at the old Fisherman's Marina in the Jefferson Chalmers canal district most exciting, mainly for the interesting location. For ages I have watched that abandoned waterfront site and pondered its potential, especially sitting next door to the affluent Grosse Pointes.

Name:  Coriander.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  37.1 KB

Here it is when I photographed it in 2004, just before it closed, when it was a seedy marina and booze and bait shop.

Name:  14129-Fishermans-Marina.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  81.1 KB

The other four restaurants are also interesting including the 10K sq. ft. Oak & Reel in Milwaukee Junction at Beaubien and E. Grand Blvd. with a pricey prix fixe that will likely start in the $60 range, with some add-ons and modifications available.