Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

By the time I had become a teen, My favorite thing to do was to go to Northland and play the newest home video game systems in the basement at Hudsons.Northland was better then Westland because me and my cousins didn't get ran off there for spending too much time on the games.
    After I got my own system in "83". The days of me playing in the backyard of my Grandparents house were done. Which was fine by me. There were not many kids my age on that block, None of which I could call my friends. So other then mow the lawn, Watch my Grandpa work on the car, or take the bus to Livonia Mall with my Grandma. There wasn't alot to do.
    That era pretty much was insync with the way it was at my Moms in Garden City or my Aunt and Uncles in Pinckney.We got into the video games.Looking back that time was an uncharted territory. About 15 years ago while riding down an alley in Warrendale, I happened to think about the alleys of my youth.How much fun they were and how sad I was , yet the joy of the older members of my familywhich ment ,"one more thing I can block off"
    That alley betwen Pierson to the west, Braile to the east, ment more to me then my video game system.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Neglected to mention this was not my own personal bike. It is just a googled image that is similar to a bike I had. Mine was not as nice looking as this one though. Nonetheless, I should have properly credited or mentioned in the previous post.

65memories,

I'd hardly call the Grandmont Rosedale Little League one of the best organized in the metro area. I played little league growing up and have coached several teams as an adult. My son played in it for the past two years, one as a coach, and it's one of the most dysfunctional and poorly organized leagues I've ever seen. This past summer was one of the worst yet.

BVos...
    Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. My two sons, now 21 and 25, played in the league from t-ball to high school. I also coached in the league. The league started with 100 players and when my boys left, it had close to 800 participants. Stoepel Park received its renovation because of the league. Freman Hendrix, Frank Lanzilotti and Ken Schneider were instrumental in getting the league off the ground about 17 years ago. I've gone to some games since my sons have left and watched the girls' softball and 11-12 year old boys tournament teams win district tournaments. There was no better Detroit league. Taylor seemed to be the most competition. But I admit I saw few games this year so your assessment might be valid. Sad if that's the state of things.

I should go by Stopel on a day in the summer. While playing Mel Ott Baseball I hated that place. Back in 79-82 they could have sent us into a forest to play ball, Would have been easier.O'Shea was never as bad from what I recall.But the field at Lutheran West was the worst. There are two generations of my family that can attest to that.

I will post a picture of my Schwinn Stingray if I can figure out how to do it on this newsgroup. Thanks to all for sharing!

Here is mine from '68......didn't work from my FB site.....can't I just upload a .jpg or something?
    Last edited by Slipkid; September-17-09 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
    Here is mine from '68......didn't work from my FB site.....can't I just upload a .jpg or something?
    Tried to click that link, it tells me it can't display the page for some reason. It had a link to go to your facebook page, which shows that you have access restricted unless someone is a facebook friend, so that probably prevents the 'general public' from viewing it. You should be able to post a picture here - the only restriction I know of is the size. I see them posted quite a bit. Wish I had a picture of my old stingray - loved that bike. Never did chopper-ize it, though I do remember seeing those around.

BTW, when I was on your facebook page I saw that you know Kathy M - I graduated with her from St Marys in 78. If I remember right she lived right by Rosedale Park on Avon. She came to our 20th reunion back in 98.

After looking a little more, there's a 'manage attachments' button when you're entering your text, down below the message window that you type in, that I think you use to post a picture. I haven't tried it myself but that's got to be how you can post a picture [[or a link to it anyway). I think it uploads the picture from your PC. If I remember right from the old site, you have the option to imbed the picture in the message or have a link to it.

In the early eighties, the StingRays definitely got souped up. I had a late 60's with the three speed stick shift [[coaster brake) my Grandmother picked up for me at a garage sale in ohio. If I pedalled really hard, my knee would bump the shifter between second and third, which was dead-mans land. Instant nut cracker followed by tears. I took the whole thing apart and disabled the gears so it always ran in third.

All of the Paperboys from the News Station at Schoolcraft & St, Mary's had sweet StingRays. [[Mr. Howell ran the place, he was awesome). Mine was saphire blue with the [[exhaust pipe) full rear fender and slick rear tire. I had multiple bungee cords wrapped around the sissy bar and seat pole, saphire blue banana seat, turn signal, handle bars [[blue grips)pushed as far forward as you could reach, speedometer [[rolled over twice), and four clear refectors on each wheel. And A BIG ASS LOCK. Best damn bike in Grandmont. I could outrun thugs and wild dogs, with 60 pounds of newspapers. And yep, there was a baseball glove wrapped around the handlebars, just in case.

Bikes like that were the ones I wanted back in the day.I learned to ride a bike in the alley between Stahalin and Artesian in "North Warrendale"?.JoyRd area.My first bike was a AMF Sting Ray knock off. My Dad rebuilt it and when it came time for a seat I got a red,white and blue banana seat.That lasted about a day cause the bike had no kick stand and the dog got at the seat.Needless to say it still rode good with that electrical tape covering the holes.

I remember working out of that same News building back in the early 60's too. Back then the songs "Just Like Romeo and Juliet" and "My Guy" were climbing the charts. I'd have my transister radio with me when I delivered newspapers.
    There was a tradition of hazing new carriers by egging them every so often on "bulldog" Saturday nights.
    We had a carrier named Farrel [[or something similiar) that was killed around that time. It was a front page story for a couple of days.
    We also had a guy that had 100 customers. Amazing back then.

I had a friend who had a route at the Schoolcraft/St Marys station, around the 73-75 timeframe. My brother told me about helping his buddy Les Moore do his route from that station in the mid 60s, probably around that 'Romeo and Juliet/My Guy' time. I had a news route over in Rosedale, 73-75 or so. The station was in the alley around the corner from Biffs, I think it was behind the Cartwheel and/or that Chinese restaurant. I remember delivering in snowstorms where it was impossible to ride a bike. We'd walk our routes and put the papers on a sled. Loved those Christmas tips! I felt like a rich kid after collecting around Christmas. I had a small route, about 40 customers, right by the park - Scarsdale, Avon and Puritan. Me and my buddy who also had a route at that station would go to Biffs on Saturday morning after finishing our routes, get breakfast and hang out at the counter drinking coffee. I can remember Biffs' jukebox going all the time. Used to go there for those late night, after hours meals when we got a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I had a friend who had a route at the Schoolcraft/St Marys station, around the 73-75 timeframe. My brother told me about helping his buddy Les Moore do his route from that station in the mid 60s, probably around that 'Romeo and Juliet/My Guy' time. I had a news route over in Rosedale, 73-75 or so. The station was in the alley around the corner from Biffs, I think it was behind the Cartwheel and/or that Chinese restaurant. I remember delivering in snowstorms where it was impossible to ride a bike. We'd walk our routes and put the papers on a sled. Loved those Christmas tips! I felt like a rich kid after collecting around Christmas. I had a small route, about 40 customers, right by the park - Scarsdale, Avon and Puritan. Me and my buddy who also had a route at that station would go to Biffs on Saturday morning after finishing our routes, get breakfast and hang out at the counter drinking coffee. I can remember Biffs' jukebox going all the time. Used to go there for those late night, after hours meals when we got a little older.
    Until I got a little older [[13 or 14), Biffs seemed like it was for the older square crowd [[i.e. the adults ) for my friends and I. The cool older kids mostly went to the McDonalds or White Castles.

No newspaper routes for me. My money earning included being a neighborhood worker. Snow shoveling [[by hand), raking leaves, and even cutting lawns. Odd jobs for the retired neighbors. One older lady would pay me a whopping $5.00 every time I did odd jobs for her. Clean out garage, etc...

Then my first "real" job was at the Rustler's Steakhouse just west of the NorWest. Loved that job. Good food too.

Yea, I had Detroit News at the station behind Cartwheel and Sun Ya's near Biff's [[we called it "Barf's". I remember it being built too. Mr. Thompson ran the paper station, he was usually soused and I think he bet on horses. My route included Grand River businesses [[McCabe Funeral home, durgstore etc.) and Outer Driver between Gd.River and Fenkell. If I ended up with an extra paper or two, I'd hock it at the intersection at Creagar's. Those streets were busy so I could usually manage in the snow with my bike [[trash-picked it and fixed it up). However it was murder on Thanksgiving.....the papers were so big I could just barely fit them in my saddlebags and front bag....I'm still suprised I could pedal.....only English Racers had gears back then [[3).

On the route a couple of us would eat at Joey's Paddock [[he was a former jockey) or stop at the Village Shoppe on Warwick...both on Grand River. I finally quit my route to work at Dunkin' Donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Until I got a little older [[13 or 14), Biffs seemed like it was for the older square crowd [[i.e. the adults ) for my friends and I. The cool older kids mostly went to the McDonalds or White Castles.

No newspaper routes for me. My money earning included being a neighborhood worker. Snow shoveling [[by hand), raking leaves, and even cutting lawns. Odd jobs for the retired neighbors. One older lady would pay me a whopping $5.00 every time I did odd jobs for her. Clean out garage, etc...

Then my first "real" job was at the Rustler's Steakhouse just west of the NorWest. Loved that job. Good food too.
    Yeah, shoveling snow, raking leaves, mowing lawns, those were all ways we would occasionally make some $$, but we never did it on a regular basis. We mostly got turned down when we knocked on someones door and asked them. Shoveling was always by hand for us in those days - I don't remember even seeing snowblowers around. And when we mowed lawns it was with a manual push mower. That made mowing some hard work when the grass got long. My dad eventually bought an electric mower -a big step up from the manual one, but not as good as the gas ones.

I loved Rustler - our family used to go there quite a bit in the mid to late 70s. Loved the chopped steak dinner - their baked potatoes were great, though a bit on the small side. I'd smother them in butter. I was bummed when they closed - right around 1980 or so I think. That was the first place I remember seeing a salad bar at. We started going to Bonanza after Rustler closed, over near Redford High School. Or was it Ponderosa?

Yea, I had Detroit News at the station behind Cartwheel and Sun Ya's near Biff's [[we called it "Barf's". I remember it being built too. Mr. Thompson ran the paper station, he was usually soused and I think he bet on horses. My route included Grand River businesses [[McCabe Funeral home, durgstore etc.) and Outer Driver between Gd.River and Fenkell. If I ended up with an extra paper or two, I'd hock it at the intersection at Creagar's. Those streets were busy so I could usually manage in the snow with my bike [[trash-picked it and fixed it up). However it was murder on Thanksgiving.....the papers were so big I could just barely fit them in my saddlebags and front bag....I'm still suprised I could pedal.....only English Racers had gears back then [[3).
    Yeah, I remember Thompson well. Never saw him drinking myself, but some of the other kids would talk about it. Thanksgiving was the worst! Thursdays and weekends were the heaviest. Saturday was bad because of the comics and all the ads inside them. Only did the sled thing a handful of times, when it was really bad, but it sure made the delivery last a lot longer. I loved Biffs breakfasts and their coffee. I think it's still operating these days as a coney island or something,

Joey's Paddock. N side of GR between Glastonbury and Kentford. Joey's was a counterside roast beef place with a few booths and small tables, a weekday lunch place nothing fancy. It had a wooden phone booth near door that was old-fashioned even back in the 1970's. I became a bit of a regular there as a kid once I began earning some spending money of my own. I got to know Joey the proprietor. [[I can't recall the crabby waitress' name). He was older than he looked. He came of age in Detroit well before WW2. AIR he was not just a jockey but he was also a boxer once upon a time. [[I know it sounds like the jockey form the Seabiscut book/movie, but anyway ...). He had a lot of interesting stores about Auto Boom/Depression Detroit and the boxing community at that time. [[He also seemed to retain an accent and a set of expressions that mighta been freeze-dried from the 1930's.) Boxing was a BIG sport preWW2. Not just the heavyweights or the top ranked in other weight classes, but also regional and local boxers [[I'd reckon it was comparable to how college football/basketball is popular today, people follow rankings and regional conferences, etc). Anyway he was an interesting fellow once you got to know him. He closed the place in the very early 80's.

Another place that is worth mentioning is Herschel's Electronics [[next to the Norwest). Anyone have any Herschel's stories? The Herschel bros? They were a pair of enterpreneurial whiz kids fron the radio-age who had a very good run of things in boomtown Detroit of the 1920s-1950's. Lot's of cool shit they were involved in, but they were cagey with their stories, you had to listen between the lines to understand what they were talking about. Anyone ever make it down to the basement of that place?

Barely recall Herschel's, but there was Olson's up near Monkey Wards. And in about 77 a wholesale place across from Miller Feed at Gd. River and Lahser.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Yeah, shoveling snow, raking leaves, mowing lawns, those were all ways we would occasionally make some $$, but we never did it on a regular basis. We mostly got turned down when we knocked on someones door and asked them. Shoveling was always by hand for us in those days - I don't remember even seeing snowblowers around. And when we mowed lawns it was with a manual push mower. That made mowing some hard work when the grass got long. My dad eventually bought an electric mower -a big step up from the manual one, but not as good as the gas ones.

I loved Rustler - our family used to go there quite a bit in the mid to late 70s. Loved the chopped steak dinner - their baked potatoes were great, though a bit on the small side. I'd smother them in butter. I was bummed when they closed - right around 1980 or so I think. That was the first place I remember seeing a salad bar at. We started going to Bonanza after Rustler closed, over near Redford High School. Or was it Ponderosa?
    I actually was happy when it snowed because I knew that like clockwork several of my elderly neighbors would gladly pay me to shovel their driveways and walkways. On school days, I'd get up early to shovel before school, or rush home after school.

Raking of leaves had to be done a lot in the fall due to many, many large trees. Not always fun, but it paid well. One neighbor let their dog crap in the leaves which had to be raked up! I always cut and raked our own lawn with our manual lawn cutter. My dad would say with a slight smile on his face, "good exercise son".

I do think there was a Bonanza [[or maybe a Ponderosa) right near Redford High School. Rustlers food was good, and we employees ate for free . The manager was a young twenty something guy who was very cool and laid back. We could bs a lot as long as the work got done and customers were happy. Older guys would bring in a lot of pretty ladies on dates and stuff. I bussed tables and did dishes. The older guys did the cooking. We shared the tips with the waitresses.

...when I tell my kids it sounds like hiking to school uphill both ways but those snowy driveways were very long, and we never had anything but a manual "reel" mower. Ours even had steel [[no rubber) wheels and a wooden handle. I was mowing two vacationing neighbors' lawns one summer..it rained a lot and by the time I could mow it it seemed like it was 2 feet thick!

Remember burning leaves in the street? Al Gore would have a fit, but it added an interesting smell to the fall season.

...when I tell my kids it sounds like hiking to school uphill both ways but those snowy driveways were very long, and we never had anything but a manual "reel" mower. Ours even had steel [[no rubber) wheels and a wooden handle. I was mowing two vacationing neighbors' lawns one summer..it rained a lot and by the time I could mow it it seemed like it was 2 feet thick!

Remember burning leaves in the street? Al Gore would have a fit, but it added an interesting smell to the fall season.
    Burning leaves was cool when you were a kid - you got that huge pile and jumped in it a bit first. I was out at my brothers in Irish Hills a couple of years ago and he was burning his leaves - it's still legal when you get a bit away from the city. Sure brought back those childhood memories of leaf burning in Detroit. I remember burning trash in our yard when I was really young - mid 60s or so. We had a big cement block in the corner of the backyard with a steel mesh trashcan on it. You put the burnable stuff in that and lit it up. That cement block was dangerous when you were playing football or baseball in the yard! I think they outlawed that by the late 60s.

I remember one of my neighbors having a power mower that was like an old-fashioned push-mower, but it had an engine on it. Must have been a really early model of the power mower, before they went to the type of mower you typically see. We never had a grasscatcher on our manual mower, so we also got to rake the grass after mowing. Got many a blister back then. I was forever putting off mowing, only to pay the price when I had to finally do it.

Funny you mention the powered "reel" mower. On my Detroit News Paper Route a guy gave me a Radio Flyer wagon [[still have it) and one of those mowers. I was going to mount the motor on my mini bike, but found the shaft turned backward relative to the standard Briggs and Stratton or Techumseh motors....dad caved and got me a Briggs and Stratton [[plus the mower engine had less HP). I took the mower to a small engine guy and he couldn't believe it was a REO Mower.....REO was for Ransom E Oldsmobile...a relation of the famous carmaker who made his own brand of cars [[REO Speedwagon derived their moniker from that auto brand). Anyway I ended up giving it away to my welder who worked out of the alley behind the drugstore at Grand River and Lahser.

Regarding trash burning....I was doing that for my granddad in Port Huron into the 70's in a 55 Gallon Drum. I would use the ashes for flower fertilizer. Semi rural area and grandpa grew up on a farm.

Also, some houses had an incinerator for doing the same which was a door in the chimney located in the basement. Our game was to see if we could put papers in there and have them fly out of the chimney partially burnt....I guess we are lucky we didn't start a house or tree on fire!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast