Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Interesting heading south on Woodward I noted, full-view an 'open' standing garage door of one of those newer connected homes just north of Woodstock [[backed to east-bound Eight mile) stuffed chocked-full of old shopping carts, blankets, stuffs, plastic bags, chairs and what not from what was originally UNDER the Eight mile over-pass! I drove back around to verify and it's the third unit garage! The others pulled down closed/ secured. I saw no persons -- perhaps that unit is empty and broken into? In any event the adjacent owners/ renters are not going to allow this, or are allowing it?
    Unit 1?
    https://landgrid.com/us/mi/wayne/det...detroit/390042

Unit 2-3 owned by same individual.
    https://landgrid.com/us/mi/wayne/det...detroit/390044

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    All three townhouses are at least 4 years behind on Detroit Property Taxes subject to foreclosure. If it is vacant it will be an eyesore for the folks in Greenacres. One other garage looks like a part of the door has been bashed in in addition to garbage gathering around the back. The blight from 8 and Woodward seems to be slowly spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    All three townhouses are at least 4 years behind on Detroit Property Taxes subject to foreclosure. If it is vacant it will be an eyesore for the folks in Greenacres. One other garage looks like a part of the door has been bashed in in addition to garbage gathering around the back. The blight from 8 and Woodward seems to be slowly spreading.
    Green Acres is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city and the dirty motel across the street has been converted to apartments. Both sides of 8 Mile in this area is fine. Saying the blight is spreading is a little hyperbolic.

^^^ Right. This particular strip of homes is apparently having problems, but over all Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, Detroit Golf Course Community etc. remain pretty strong, overall.

It's the EAST SIDE of Woodward and Eight that's hit [[the actual housing stock is not even comparable). That's a crucial distinction.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-07-21 at 10:52 PM.

I'd not care to live within 50 miles of that intersection. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'd not care to live within 50 miles of that intersection. Just sayin'.
    Most us do,
    Except for you,
    Even our cops.

Glad our unions
    Quit it young.
    Full stop.

Up our active,
    Activated,
    Not old thoughts.

Aesop.

Duty dun't
    Escape privilege
    Not even cops'.
    Last edited by bust; February-07-21 at 09:55 PM.

I have family that had property along the west side of the Detroit Golf club. It was a good life at a certain income level with some homes averaging about 2,600+ sq ft - plenty of trees and grass. Ala the club lawn mowers going at 6 AM on the greens [[joy). I still like to drive thru there [[and especially Palmer Woods) just to see the styling and architecture of some of these homes.

https://www.zillow.com/detroit-golf-detroit-mi/

Here's a house on Hamilton, I've got my eyes on [[just joking):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...88348140_zpid/
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-07-21 at 11:13 PM.

Here's a house on Hamilton, I've got my eyes on [[just joking):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...88348140_zpid/
    It looks like someone set off a white paint bomb.

The homes on Wellesley have always been my fav... better be prepared to pay a heck of a utility and landscaping bill!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...88547160_zpid/

Here are the results of the 8 Mile-Woodward area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgZPWiiGnc

You've been a busy man Danny!

Yep, that's the back end of the units - garage door open where some of the belongings of the homeless persons are stuffed.

Whoever own those three condo units either some homeless folk[[s) let themselves in to squat. Or some reckless home owner let them in to stay for the moment.

By the way the one of three condo units is livable with the homeowner inside. And that homeowner will make sure those snoopy folks in that ghetto hood don't call the block club folks or the Detroit Police.

The Ferndale side of the Woodward Bridge Overpass is all cleaned up. Either the folks in Ferndale called the police or Michigan State Police to let the homeless folks know it can not make a home under that walkway. And the piles of trash that street rat left behind in the walk way is all clean up by the City of Ferndale.

But there is still trash lying on the Detroit side of the Woodward Bridge Overpass. It's up to City of Detroit or Michigan State Police to take care of the problem.

Now when the weather warms up the street rats will be back to their panhandling business and leaving their trash all over the Woodward Overpass. That is why drastic measures must be taken so that people and the traffic can flow through that area. Give those homeless folks shelter now!
    Last edited by Danny; February-13-21 at 08:39 AM.

^^^ Woodstock [[on the west side of Woodward) is not exactly as you call it a 'ghetto hood' block! Making the whole scene even more shocking when I drove by there. The east side of Woodward is a completely different story, economic and housing stock.

Detroit needs to deal with its side of the underpass for certain.

This weather is quite horrid. Another reason why I rarely complain about our 'few' hot summer days. Sure heat can kill, but nothing like harsh winters if you're exposed outdoors.

Update: Last weekend I drove by the underpass heading to Meijer and noticed that for the most part it's cleared out. Probably owing to the bitter cold weather. There was only a bit of trash remaining.

Interesting heading south on Woodward I noted, full-view an 'open' standing garage door of one of those newer connected homes just north of Woodstock [[backed to east-bound Eight mile) stuffed chocked-full of old shopping carts, blankets, stuffs, plastic bags, chairs and what not from what was originally UNDER the Eight mile over-pass! I drove back around to verify and it's the third unit garage! The others pulled down closed/ secured. I saw no persons -- perhaps that unit is empty and broken into? In any event the adjacent owners/ renters are not going to allow this, or are allowing it?

Years ago we had an retched old van and at one point a homeless man took to sleeping in it. We had to stop it as he was making it unusable. But it was so sad, especially as winter was soon coming.
    The middle unit is the one you speak of, I believe it just recently caught fire during Covid. Now why the neighboring owner or tenants of the left and right are not bothering to close the garage door is beyond me. Who knows?

^^^ Right. This particular strip of homes is apparently having problems, but over all Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, Detroit Golf Course Community etc. remain pretty strong, overall.
    Agreed. The strongest collection of neighborhoods in the city in my opinion.

^^^ Woodstock [[on the west side of Woodward) is not exactly as you call it a 'ghetto hood' block! Making the whole scene even more shocking when I drove by there. The east side of Woodward is a completely different story, economic and housing stock.

Detroit needs to deal with its side of the underpass for certain.

This weather is quite horrid. Another reason why I rarely complain about our 'few' hot summer days. Sure heat can kill, but nothing like harsh winters if you're exposed outdoors.
    All of Detroit is a ghetto hood. Does matter if the once Detroit middle class blue to white collar neighborhood is full of houses or not. There are always going to be riff raffs pushing drugs, pimps doing prostitution and sex trafficking. Gangs are everywhere. They don't have to show their colors. They are in plain clothes and they don't need to be visible in groups to lure cops. Homelessness are visible and most them are in the panhandling business. And if they want shelter, they can just squat in people's homes. It's legal under Squatter's Law. The home owner will have to get a court order to kick the squatter out.

I grew up in Detroit all of my life. I like the stink of the streets. I love the smell of it. If most of you from suburbia want to find out the read ghetto hood of Detroit, don't look the internet go right into it, cruise and hopefully you don't get robbed, shot and attack by rabid wild animals.

Detroit still has homes, businesses and historical areas that for protected. Even through gentrification is here and poor folks are kick out and private developers want to turn Detroit's stink of streets into their personal Disneyland for millennials. The memories of Detroit ghettos will still be in minds.

^ Danny I too live in Detroit. I know the city well, its worts and wonders, even from when my dad sold life insurance years back where he helped me understand the variance of areas and neighborhoods. My family and I engage the city and its citizens at varied levels east, and west side.

So NO, I do not agree with your characterization of Detroit being a 'ghetto hood', nor am I naive to the cities problems. You must really hang-out in the worst of areas, which I agree do exist. But I for instance don't live in one.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-13-21 at 09:39 PM.

Something that strikes me having grown up in Detroit [[no, not within city limits), and for most of my life since then lived in cities on the East coast, is how comparatively few homes in Detroit have bars on their windows. Even in those "worst areas." In most East coast cities, and all the big ones, most homes have bars on every ground floor window [[often higher) and near every fire escape. Even in the "best areas."

On the flip side, in most East coast cities most parents [[not all) have comparatively little fear their children will die by a gun. I know several who were killed in "good" Detroit suburbs not by a criminal but with a gun in their home, or their friend's.
    Last edited by bust; February-13-21 at 11:38 PM.

"So NO, I do not agree with your characterization of Detroit being a 'ghetto hood', nor am I naive to the cities problems. You must really hang-out in the worst of areas, which I agree do exist. But I for instance don't live in one."

I used hang out and lived in the ghetto hoods of Detroit for all of my life. Even when the hoods are nice and stable. There are always riff raffs, running about. Now they are everywhere and most of them don't need to visible. They are in disguise to fool the cops. Detroit is not going to get any better until they clean their trash. Otherwise the gentrification developers pick up their litter, build their super condos and McMansions and kick out the poor.

You seen it happen from Gilbert town Detroit, Brush Park and Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    how comparatively few homes in Detroit have bars on their windows. Even in those "worst areas." In most East coast cities, and all the big ones, most homes have bars on every ground floor window [[often higher) and near every fire escape. Even in the "best areas."
    Most Detroit homes have bars on the windows, mines too, but they are usually on the inside of the home instead of the outside. It is very easy to get the security bars off of windows that are on the outside and it does not make the home look visually as nice from the street. We definitely have them on our windows, just on the inside and not seen on the outside, If that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Gangs are everywhere. They don't have to show their colors. They are in plain clothes and they don't need to be visible in groups to lure cops.
    Fam, Detroit is not a gang city, outside of drug crews that died off in the 80's, Detroit never has been a gang city. We only have neighborhood block affiliations which are just small homegrown cliques, not organized crime family's. And colors??? The street gangs of Chicago and LA don't even wear colors anymore, that was in the 90's, Where are you getting this false information from? Because everything you're saying is 100% false and sounds like a scene from a 90's inner city crime drama.

Oh there's gang's in Detroit. Check out the East Seven Mile Bloods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Tb7x-fUcI

Can't say how "real" it is, but
    Red is fashionable in the area of the party store where in high school we bought beer, and has been for at least a decade.
    Not when I was underage.

Could be a coincidence.
    Could be posers who wrote the gang tags.
    Don't think so.
    But they could be some years old.

Much better a good mentor; don't join a gang.
    Last edited by bust; February-15-21 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh there's gang's in Detroit. Check out the East Seven Mile Bloods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Tb7x-fUcI
    So sad funny not funny.
    So not a BBC documentary,
    At least not the one in Britain.
    From 18 seconds in:

Name:  Gang-Toady_800w.png
Views: 524
Size:  10.7 KB

I'll never have enough time to watch all of this.
    Last edited by bust; February-15-21 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Most Detroit homes have bars on the windows, mines too, but they are usually on the inside of the home instead of the outside. It is very easy to get the security bars off of windows that are on the outside and it does not make the home look visually as nice from the street. We definitely have them on our windows, just on the inside and not seen on the outside, If that answers your question.
    Thanks!

East coast outside bars are not easy to get off. At all.
    One rental had some that were almost rusted through--
    Had not been a safe neighborhood for a while--
    So those maybe, noisily, only maybe.
    No burglar could have known without inspection;
    The chance one would try was very small.
    East coast burglars agree:
    Easiest way in is not through a barred window.

Interior bars there are almost only "window guards";
    They prevent infants and some pets from falling out.
    I realize those aren't what you're talking about.
    Almost 20 apartments on the East coast,
    Seen many times more from inside,
    I remember inside bars in only two windows.
    Steel not iron, on a fire escape, really retractable gates.
    A visiting technician on a double take, "That's old school!"

Regional differences are interesting to me.
    Last edited by bust; February-15-21 at 12:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast